Book Hauls!

Got  Raft, Stephen Baxter's first Xeelee book. Read it years ago but need a refresh.
Got a couple of Paul J Mcauley books on the way, Secret Harmonies and Eternal light, book 2 and 3 in the Four Hundred Billion Stars trilogy (had book 1 for ages but was waiting to get the other 2 before reading it)

I've been meaning to support some of the writers on the forums a little better, so I've bought and downloaded Toby Frost's Imposters and Jo Zebedee's Into a Blood Red Sky.

Toby Frost Imposters.jpgJoe Zebendee Into a Blood Red Sky.jpg

Looking forward to reading each of these, but it won't be until i get series weary with the 2000AD books I'm into at the moment.

Judge Dredd: Bad Moon Rising, Black Atlantic, Cursed Earth Asylum and (just for Mr. Cairo) Dreddlocked.

Judge Dredd Bad Moon Rising.jpgJudge Dredd Black Atlantic.jpgJudge Dredd Cursed Earth Asylum.jpgJudge Dredd Dreddlocked.jpg

Couple of Paul J Mcauley books from Abebooks, second and third in the Four Hundred Billion Stars trilogy (I've had the first book on my shelf for ages). Not read any Mcauley yet, except maybe a short story or two in Interzone years ago...
IMG20220902123106-01_copy_600x1058.jpeg

The Maupassant story, Le Horla, is a very weird and unsettling tale - he wrote three different versions - I think the version here is the second.

Pick us up a copy of the latest 'Mega Spirou' from a kiosque will you and I'll pay you for it (plus postage*). :) I've got a subscription to the weekly but for some reason they don't sell the quarterly Mega Spirou by mail. The current one has the minions all over the front cover and costs 5,90€.

*And as absurd as it sounds it would almost certainly be cheaper to post it from France 'Tarif livres et brochures' than it would within the UK - even 'second class'.
Was @hitmouse able to sort you out? If not, maybe I could from Belgium - though read below...

Firstly, I see the next edition is due 16 Sept so the "minions" issue might not be around on the shelves any more. However, I can get it (free postage) from Amazon.nl at €4.75 or Amazon.fr (€5.52), or Amazon.de (€4.52).

Amazon.nl will not post to the UK but Amazon.fr and DE does at €3.52 - with the diffrence in TVA taken off the issue so it is €5.52, not €5.90. Sending two copies (i.e. waiting for the next issue) would be €4.04. However, it looks like you will be charged TVA by UK customs (Les articles vendus par Amazon et expédiés à des adresses hors de l'Union Européenne seront soumis au régime de TVA prévu par la législation du pays de destination. Des frais d'import ou des droits de douane peuvent cependant être facturés pour ces livraisons suivant les lois de chaque pays. - same is on the DE site). And there'll be an £8 admin fee from UK customs on top.

It is also available via Amazon.uk at £10.66 (free p&p) but it's not clear to me if this will also be subject to TVA - it's coming from Amazon EU.

Second, Belgian Post goes only by size and weight (I can't find a special rate for books/brochures like Poste France (which at €1 is really cheap!)) - and Bpost is not cheap. A "letter" of A4 will cost €6.27 at 50g-100g and €10.45 at 100g-350g.

If I send these as a "gift" (i.e. no financial transaction between the sender and the recipient) there should be zero TVA and admin fee as the value will below £39. If it goes through, then great! If it gets stopped, at least there should be some evidence that I bought it for you (I suppose).

>>And, that brings me back to Amazon FR/DE. It is possible to get purchases marked as "gift". So...in theory, I should be able to buy the issue(s), get it marked as a gift, and have Amazon send it to your address. [so ditto above.] However, I've never tried this before; any gifts I've bought for family in the UK using Amazon have been bought via the UK site.

Incidently, I checked on the publisher's site (Dupuis) and they charge €16 to send to the UK !!!

Finally, Royal Mail will be cheaper than BPost (looks like large letter up to 250g would be £1.65 2nd class or around £3 for various tracked/signed for options) but I won't be in the UK until Xmas (when I suppose another issue will be out) so you'll be waiting a while.

SF basic library Astounding Jan 1953 scan 1.jpeg

That Jan. 1953 had a feature that might interest some Chronsfolk. I will try to post three scans of "The Basic Science-Fiction Library."

Two more scans will complete the posting of Sky Miller's column, the first of those two below.
SF basic library Astounding Jan 1953 scan 4.jpeg

Was @hitmouse able to sort you out? If not, maybe I could from Belgium - though read below...

Firstly, I see the next edition is due 16 Sept so the "minions" issue might not be around on the shelves any more. However, I can get it (free postage) from Amazon.nl at €4.75 or Amazon.fr (€5.52), or Amazon.de (€4.52).

Amazon.nl will not post to the UK but Amazon.fr and DE does at €3.52 - with the diffrence in TVA taken off the issue so it is €5.52, not €5.90. Sending two copies (i.e. waiting for the next issue) would be €4.04. However, it looks like you will be charged TVA by UK customs (Les articles vendus par Amazon et expédiés à des adresses hors de l'Union Européenne seront soumis au régime de TVA prévu par la législation du pays de destination. Des frais d'import ou des droits de douane peuvent cependant être facturés pour ces livraisons suivant les lois de chaque pays. - same is on the DE site). And there'll be an £8 admin fee from UK customs on top.

It is also available via Amazon.uk at £10.66 (free p&p) but it's not clear to me if this will also be subject to TVA - it's coming from Amazon EU.

Second, Belgian Post goes only by size and weight (I can't find a special rate for books/brochures like Poste France (which at €1 is really cheap!)) - and Bpost is not cheap. A "letter" of A4 will cost €6.27 at 50g-100g and €10.45 at 100g-350g.

If I send these as a "gift" (i.e. no financial transaction between the sender and the recipient) there should be zero TVA and admin fee as the value will below £39. If it goes through, then great! If it gets stopped, at least there should be some evidence that I bought it for you (I suppose).

>>And, that brings me back to Amazon FR/DE. It is possible to get purchases marked as "gift". So...in theory, I should be able to buy the issue(s), get it marked as a gift, and have Amazon send it to your address. [so ditto above.] However, I've never tried this before; any gifts I've bought for family in the UK using Amazon have been bought via the UK site.

Incidently, I checked on the publisher's site (Dupuis) and they charge €16 to send to the UK !!!

Finally, Royal Mail will be cheaper than BPost (looks like large letter up to 250g would be £1.65 2nd class or around £3 for various tracked/signed for options) but I won't be in the UK until Xmas (when I suppose another issue will be out) so you'll be waiting a while.

Malheuresement non. Eurostar: 90 minutes St Pancras - Bruxelles. Stroll around the comic stores. Visit the musee bd, eat moules frites, see where Herge lived. Etc.

The only books I picked up in France, from a free book cupboard:

158B2D5E-9BB4-4DD2-B817-DF8CD9CE0CF6.jpeg

Oh! Thank you. I'll PM you, @Matteo so as to avoid totally derailing the thread (tomorrow - it's stupidly late now).

To get back ON thread: today at the village freebie book shelves I picked up a copy of The Warlock in Spite of Himself - which I have vague memories of being entertaining and a copy of The Aha! Moment: A Scientist's take on Creativity by Brian Jones - who people may remeber as the author of the long-running 'Daedalus' column in the New Scientist/Nature/Guardian.

When I got it home I found it was a signed copy.

Oh! Thank you. I'll PM you, @Matteo so as to avoid totally derailing the thread (tomorrow - it's stupidly late now).

To get back ON thread: today at the village freebie book shelves I picked up a copy of The Warlock in Spite of Himself - which I have vague memories of being entertaining and a copy of The Aha! Moment: A Scientist's take on Creativity by Brian Jones - who people may remeber as the author of the long-running 'Daedalus' column in the New Scientist/Nature/Guardian.

When I got it home I found it was a signed copy.
Hey, @JunkMonkey I replied to your PM - I didn't get an alert to it so maybe you didn't one for mine either.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman and Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. Both 99p on Amazon Kindle.