Book Hauls!

Visited the yearly used-books market today in Deventer. A book-lover paradise with 500+ stalls with (in theory everything imaginable that was ever published thereby using dead trees. Due to covid it was 3 years since the previous event. Hot and getting really crowded, I made my escape at 1 pm. But not empty handed.
DSC_0453.JPG

What is the van Edgar Allan Poe tot Roald Dahl thing?
From Edgar Allan Poe to Roald Dahl. A collection of the 50 best horror-stories (according to the editor.) It starts with 2 stories by Poe and ends with 1 Roald Dahl story. So, the title isn't exactly false, but...
Anyway, I am not really a horror fan, but I should at least have read 'the best', if I can get them for a decent price.

From Edgar Allan Poe to Roald Dahl. A collection of the 50 best horror-stories (according to the editor.) It starts with 2 stories by Poe and ends with 1 Roald Dahl story. So, the title isn't exactly false, but...
Anyway, I am not really a horror fan, but I should at least have read 'the best', if I can get them for a decent price.
I'm surprised to find ISFDB lists the contents here. Primarily stories translated from English, the titles I recognize indicate it's a pretty good line up for that time period.

Not exactly 'a haul' - but I picked this up yesterday in a charity shop. Another for my shelf of ancient Pans.

tales.jpg

a 1947 Pan Paperback.

When I picked it up and opened it I thought the spine was broken it fell open so wide - then I remembered paperbacks of this era were bound sewn signatures. On the back M R James is described as a 'modern master'.

Last edited:
In spite of Bulwer Lytton's reputations, "The Haunters and the Haunted" is a pretty good tale, as are the stories by James, de la Mare and de Maupassant. I've always stalled out on the Stevenson. For some reason it doesn't grab me.

Window of second hand bookshop in Tours, France. I really like the plain style of these covers. My French is not good enough to actually read them.

28193FC9-9B4C-49E9-9203-4CCEED9854B3.jpeg

The Maupassant story, Le Horla, is a very weird and unsettling tale - he wrote three different versions - I think the version here is the second.

Window of second hand bookshop in Tours, France. I really like the plain style of these covers. My French is not good enough to actually read them.

View attachment 92130

Pick us up a copy of the latest 'Mega Spirou' from a kiosque will you and I'll pay you for it (plus postage*). :) I've got a subscription to the weekly but for some reason they don't sell the quarterly Mega Spirou by mail. The current one has the minions all over the front cover and costs 5,90€.

*And as absurd as it sounds it would almost certainly be cheaper to post it from France 'Tarif livres et brochures' than it would within the UK - even 'second class'.

The Maupassant story, Le Horla, is a very weird and unsettling tale - he wrote three different versions - I think the version here is the second.

Pick us up a copy of the latest 'Mega Spirou' from a kiosque will you and I'll pay you for it (plus postage*). :) I've got a subscription to the weekly but for some reason they don't sell the quarterly Mega Spirou by mail. The current one has the minions all over the front cover and costs 5,90€.

*And as absurd as it sounds it would almost certainly be cheaper to post it from France 'Tarif livres et brochures' than it would within the UK - even 'second class'.
If I find a retailer I will purchase one. I am now in the deep countryside, outside a one-horse village, so that may not be possible. Pity, as I like to stock up on bandes desinees when I am here.

Last edited:
I like to stock up on bandes desinees when I am here.

Of what type? I must say I am slightly jealous - living in a semi horse village in the middle of the Highlands I rarely chance across any, so have to rely on eBay and pray I don't make too many misjudgements. The possibility of browsing BDs is an alien concept. Though I did come across a copy of Tintin au Congo of all things, in a charity shop in Fort William the other week.

A couple months of hauls from Ebay.

Marvel Tales, alternate cover Volume 1 no. 3. 1934
Invaders from the Infinite and Vault of Ages both signed firsts.
Lost World Harlequin edition. I only need to find The House that Stood Still by Van Vogt to have all of the Science Fiction published by Harlequin.
Dr> Paks PreSchool by Brin Leather bound, limited, numbered and signed.
The LA promotional press book for the release of 2001. Complete and in fine condition.

Attachments

• hauls 2022.jpg
    hauls 2022.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
Of what type? I must say I am slightly jealous - living in a semi horse village in the middle of the Highlands I rarely chance across any, so have to rely on eBay and pray I don't make too many misjudgements. The possibility of browsing BDs is an alien concept. Though I did come across a copy of Tintin au Congo of all things, in a charity shop in Fort William the other week.
Allowing for the fact that I did not travel outside the uk in 2020 or 21, I usually get to Europe for a family summer holiday each year plus a conference if I am lucky. It was Brussels in March, which has a bd museum and lots of bd shops. Trying to fill holes in my Moebius & friends collection, but otherwise I just like browsing and finding new stuff.
Unfortunately on the present trip we have narrowly avoided this sort of thing. Frustratingly I drove right past Angouleme 4 days ago. I noticed some book exchange cupboards around the local village. Will check them out tomorrow.

Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep - Philip K. Dock is only 99p on Kindle.
Judge Dredd: Year Two
Judge Dredd: Year Three
Judge Dredd #1: Dredd Vs Death.

dr.gif

Ok so no one is going to be excited about this but me but I am still going to post it like it is a big thing .

Today there was a key in my PO Box and that key opened a post locker which held a well wrapped package (no mail to the house up here). It was a copy of The Space Merchants by Frederick Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth.

last mw.jpg

This completes (thanks to an amazing UK Abe Books seller) all 70 titles in the SF Masterworks paperback collection, original covers that were released between 1999 - 2007. I bought them new for a few years and then spent many more years enjoying the hunt through second hand bookstores, op shops etc. This series is a major reason why I will never pass up the chance to check out old books for sale... just in case.

Over the years it became clear that I would never get close to completing the series by simply looking locally (as fun as it continues to be) and so I started to hit up the internet more seriously to see how close I could get.

I posted earlier that I think I first bought Flowers from Algernon in 2000 and I have loved the series ever since.

There are also 13 hard covers and I was never too worried about collecting them as most are duplicates of paperbacks. I currently have six and of the remaining seven only two are not also paperbacks. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A Heinlein) and The Man in the High Castle (Philip K. Dick) and both of these have two separate hardcovers, dust-cover and no dust-cover, I already have one of Heinlein's.

Needless to say these will now be bought at some stage. The hunt continues and if I ever get a decent bookshelf again I may even be able to put them out on display.