Book Hauls!

The Conan Chronicles, Volume 1 : The People of the Black Circle - Robert E. Howard
Behold the Man - Michael Moorcock

View attachment 89442

Behold the Man I only grabbed because it was cheap and I only have one of them. Yep, after decades of collecting SF Masterworks one and two at a time I jagged an ebay bulk lot sale, started off just buying what I was missing and then decided just to grab the lot and so now I kind of have one and a half collections of the series.
I have read both of these, as well as the 2 Wolfe collections, the leiber, and Anubis Gates. All very good.

I have read both of these, as well as the 2 Wolfe collections, the leiber, and Anubis Gates. All very good.

I've heard good reviews about the quality and variety of both the Fantasy and the Crime Masterworks series and the SF one has been fantastic. I've been reading through it for decades and I doubt there's been three books that I didn't enjoy and most have been fantastic.

And still they come...

Fevre Dream - George R. R. Martin
Man Plus - Frederik Pohl (not quite a first edition, which has a great cover, but an early copy and I like the story).

bk.jpg

I've heard good reviews about the quality and variety of both the Fantasy and the Crime Masterworks series and the SF one has been fantastic. I've been reading through it for decades and I doubt there's been three books that I didn't enjoy and most have been awesome.

I did a Google search to see if I could find the Crime Masterworks series list, and one of the top hits was the following Chrons thread (a very helpful thread):

I did a Google search to see if I could find the Crime Masterworks series list, and one of the top hits was the following Chrons thread (a very helpful thread):

Havent seen Gollum around the Chrons for a few years.

Three more Fantasy Masterworks to come and that's it for my little spending spree but for now the last of the Crime Masterworks.

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
The Getaway - Jim Thompson
Double Indemnity - James M. Cain
The Murders in Rue Rogue - Edgar Allan Poe
Ice - Ed McBain

picsff.jpg

Ok I am almost done monopolising this thread for a bit, there should be one final Fantasy Masterworks book to come and that will bring the total of my late night haul to 24 books split between the SF, Fantasy and Crime Masterworks plus one ratty old copy of Man Plus .

Today it's,

Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
The Second Book of Lankhmar - Fritz Leiber

Haul2.jpg

And I went a bit early before saying that I had the last of the SF masterworks, I had ordered this one but it only arrived today. The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke another that has been surprisingly hard to find and I'm stoked that the copy I finally found is in such fantastic condition. Sadly that's the last of the paperback SF Masterworks and it's now (and probably always will be) missing just the one book.

haul1.jpg

Three more Fantasy Masterworks to come and that's it for my little spending spree but for now the last of the Crime Masterworks.

The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
The Getaway - Jim Thompson
Double Indemnity - James M. Cain
The Murders in Rue Rogue - Edgar Allan Poe
Ice - Ed McBain

View attachment 89585
All terrific . if you like them , would recommend:)

Night Has A Thousand Eyes by Cornerl Woolrich
Rendezvous in Black by Cornell Woolrich
The Black Angel by Cornell Woolrich

All terrific . if you like them , would recommend:)

Night Has A Thousand Eyes by Cornerl Woolrich
Rendezvous in Black by Cornell Woolrich
The Black Angel by Cornell Woolrich

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll definitely check them out. Funny thing is I've all these wonderful paperbacks arriving and I'm currently stuck on Snowfall as an ebook. I really need to either get it finished or put it aside for now and start something new.

I'm tempted to start with Clarke but after that I'm really looking forward to diving into the Crime Masterworks, its not a genre that I've ever tried but I think I'll enjoy it and I'm keen to broaden my reading and so bouncing back and forth between the three Masterworks series seems like a good reading list for now.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'll definitely check them out. Funny thing is I've all these wonderful paperbacks arriving and I'm currently stuck on Snowfall as an ebook. I really need to either get it finished or put it aside for now and start something new.

I'm tempted to start with Clarke but after that I'm really looking forward to diving into the Crime Masterworks, its not a genre that I've ever tried but I think I'll enjoy it and I'm keen to broaden my reading and so bouncing back and forth between the three Masterworks series seems like a good reading list for now.

Woolrich was quite prolific , among the things he wrote , The Rear Window which was the basis for the Hitchcock film of the same name.

Can’t say yet, Dask, as I’ve been reading other things. But at that price the book doesn’t have to be a great read all through.

The Vincula Insurgency book one of the Gaunt's Ghosts Dossier.

Dan Abnett - The Vincula Insurgency.jpg

Looks like it'll be a new series based around the exploits outside of the main story for the Tanith: First and Only.

Last edited:
Not a clue yet, Baylor. I won't read it until i finish my reread of "The Lost" omnibus.

I'm looking forward to it, actually. It'll be nice to read deceased characters such as Corbec, Bragg and even Lijah Cuu. Sure as sure. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: