Book Hauls!

I love Stevenson... what else is in there with those two stories?

I think people sometimes don't read RLS -- oh, he's some classic author who wrote that pirate book for boys, etc. But no: there's a lot more to him (though Treasure Island is a great story, too).
"Treasure Island" is a fine read for a young lad!

I got a lot of books for Xmas (large family), among them Olga Ravn's "The Employees" which is insanely creepy,+ and reminiscent, for some reason, of A & B Strugatsky's "Roadside Picnic". Even better, my son gave me a couple of Stanislaw Lem novels... one of which I'd never even heard of

I bought some books on ebay with Christmas money Mostly comics and BD; a complete year (2005)of BoDoi, some American Flaggs and Vertigo comics at a quid each to fill holes in the collection etc. One of the real (words no pictures) books I bought, La Machine Fantom by Igor and Grichka Bogdanoff, will not be coming - because the vendor's dog ate it. Ah well.

I got a few books for Christmas: Landscape of Detectorists (which is about the TV show 'Detectorists'), Spell Songs (which has a music CD in it, too), Nests by Susan Ogilvy (it's a art book of bird nests), The Secret Life of Owls by John Lewis-Stempel (it's about owls), And Away (which is Bob Mortimer's autobiography) and... I think there was one more which I can't remember right now. All non-fiction. Mostly about nature.

Nick Harkaway is well worth checking out in general.
Not someone I knew anything about, but given HJ's post and your comment, I looked him up on't'interweb and discovered he's written some excellent looking books. And he's John Le Carré's son.. so now I have to try his stuff out. What's best to start?

Not someone I knew anything about, but given HJ's post and your comment, I looked him up on't'interweb and discovered he's written some excellent looking books. And he's John Le Carré's son.. so now I have to try his stuff out. What's best to start?
I started with Angelmaker and Tigerman

Quite different from each other.

Last edited:
The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray.

Claudia Gray The Falling Star.jpg

I've been collecting the Star Wars books since day one, but i find myself wondering whether i should continue. I haven't read one in years and i'm a bit jaded by Disney's use of the franchise.

The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray.

View attachment 85308

I've been collecting the Star Wars books since day one, but i find myself wondering whether i should continue. I haven't read one in years and i'm a bit jaded by Disney's use of the franchise.
I know Disney have wrecked the film franchise, but I wasn’t aware they had affected the books so much? I’d think the reason to stop getting them would that you don’t read them. I’m a collector myself (in general terms, not of SW books), so I get it, but I’d need to read at least some to justify it for myself.

The postie has been. Got these 3 books from Abe books, a real mixed bag

IMG20220110112734-01_copy_1024x583.jpeg

I also got this from Amazon. Its The Tribal Eye by David Attenborough, 1976. Quite rare so I'm not too annoyed that it didn't quite match the description on Amazon! On there it was shown with a dust jacket, with no mention of it being an ex library book!

IMG20220110112609-01_copy_1024x743.jpeg

I also got this from Amazon. Its The Tribal Eye by David Attenborough, 1976. Quite rare so I'm not too annoyed that it didn't quite match the description on Amazon! On there it was shown with a dust jacket, with no mention of it being an ex library book!
I’d be very annoyed. And would complain about it quite honestly.