Book Hauls!

I’m really enjoying We Are Legion (We Are Bob) so I downloaded the rest of the series.

All These Worlds
Heaven’s River.

Where is this shop??

Glasgow. See the Fiction 69 there? Gave me the weirdest weirdest feeling last night. I skipped the first story in it - I'm not sure my French is quite up to reading 'Des Fleurs pour Algernon par Danierl Keyes' yet - so I skipped onto 'La Pouponnierre par Theodore R Cogswell which turned out to be one of those stories that I must have read (in English) when I was a kid, of about 10 or so, reading stories for too old for me in my Dad's old SF magazines. It's one of those stories that gave me the whimwhams, got into the back of my head and wouldn't let go. Reading it again last night after all these years (and with a similar struggle with the language and sense) was like being a kid again. Got the Whimwhams again too.

Picked up DEUS IRAE By Dick & Zelazny
and HUNTED PAST REASON by Richard Matheson.
Anyone like these books?

My most recent book haul was for playing, not for reading. Or trying to play, at any rate.

lWBYNMp.jpg

Didn't Ray Nelson write the short story "Eight O'Clock In The Morning", where a man comes out of a hypnosis act on a stage and finds he can see disguised aliens as they really are!

A couple of Star Wars hardbacks for the collection.

Out of the Shadows by Justina Ireland.
Ronin by Emma Mieko Candon. Interesting cover on this.

Went into town today for the first time in a fortnight to do grocery shopping and DETERMINED not buy any books....

The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Victorian Interior Style by Var. (Big, heavy book loaded with illustrations and historical context)
La Quisine - stonkingly comprehensive book of French Cooking

And when I got home I found this month's Fortean Times and a French comic book I bought on eBay had been delivered in the post.

Over the last few weeks I went on a tear:
The Destiny Thief: Essays on Writing, Writers and Life by Richard Russo
Among the Lillies by Daniel Mills
Survivor Song by Paul Tremblay
Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Case Pending by Dell Shannon
All the Murmuring Bones by Angela Slatter
Malpertuis by Jean Ray
The Big Book of Victorian Mysteries ed. Otto Penzler
The Grip of It by Jac Jemc
The Traveller and Other Stories by Stuart Neville
The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward
The Fabulous Clipjoint by Fredric Brown (pre-order)

Why?

I don't know. There were coupons and discounts, but really, when will I read them???

(sigh)

I do plan on the Slatter maybe early in the new year. The Ward and Moreno-Garcia would probably be good summer reads. And Penzler's anthologies are fun to dip into, maybe especially now the days are colder. And I've heard so much about the Ray over several years that when I saw it was being reissued I pre-ordered.

We'll see. We'll see.

Went into town today for the first time in a fortnight to do grocery shopping and DETERMINED not buy any books....

The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins
Victorian Interior Style by Var. (Big, heavy book loaded with illustrations and historical context)
La Quisine - stonkingly comprehensive book of French Cooking

And when I got home I found this month's Fortean Times and a French comic book I bought on eBay had been delivered in the post.
I've had that happen right down to the double-whammy of books in the mailbox. "No books today... well, maybe these... oh, and those..." :)

Hope you enjoy them, especially the Robbins - that's my second-favorite of his after Still Life with Woodpecker.