Book Hauls!

Image (159).jpg
Image (161).jpg

The black and white 6th grade class photo shows me (foreground) and my best friend immediately behind me in 1966. When the photo was taken, I was probably a few months -- maybe just a matter of a few weeks -- from discovering Tolkien's Hobbit and LotR at the public library. Tolkien immediately became one of my very favorite authors and has always been one since then. Today my copy of The Nature of Middle-earth arrived from Eighth Day Books of Wichita, Kansas. This book may be the final new Tolkien book, although perhaps eventually his diary will be published, perhaps with "The Bovadium Fragment," a satire about the industrialization of Oxford. In any event, the arrival of The Nature of Middle-earth, 48 years after JRRT's death, and incidentally 55 years after I began to read Tolkien, seems like a special occasion.
extollager 1966.jpg
nature of middle earth 15 sept 21.JPG

The other book, with the Tolkien, is the new novel by T. M. Doran, Kataklusmós. It is the final book of a trilogy of novels begun with Toward the Gleam and continued with The Lucifer Ego, which I'm rereading now. The first novel is rather like a Hitchcockian movie of the type of the 1956 Man Who Knew Too Much, with the MacGuffin in the novel being the Red Book -- the source of Tolkien's knowledge of Middle-earth. The Red Book, and Tolkien, Edith Tolkien, and other real people who appear in the novel are not named as such but anyone familiar with Tolkien's life and the Inklings will twig. It's a good read. I'm not liking the second novel as much as the first, but certainly it's enjoyable to pick up and continue.
tolkien and doran.jpg

I finally have my own copies of "Oathbringer", to re-read at my leisure. The covers work surprisingly well.
EiSqUCB.jpg
I just finished the first Mistborn. First time reading him but not the last.1
I'm guessing you're not a fan of Wheel of Time then?

I hope I enjoy the Ancillary Trilogy! I've heard great things about them and was lucky to find the whole trilogy in a charity shop. The first isn't in the picture as I bought it a week or so earlier.
I tried the first ok be but couldn't get thru it. Maybe I will try again sometime

I just finished the first Mistborn. First time reading him but not the last.1

I tried the first ok be but couldn't get thru it. Maybe I will try again sometime
I've heard a lot of people dislike the first book but say it improves in later books.

I'm of the opinion that if the first book doesn't grip you then of course don't continue with the series. I always hate the line ''it gets really good book x in the series so read until that at least!'' as though I haven't got hundreds of other potential reads I actually will enjoy, haha.

At least book 1 is a super easy read if you ever do choose to revisit it :)

A couple of cheap books on Amazon today.

Lightning - Dean Koontz
Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett (another addition in preparation for my Discworld re-read)
From A Certain Point of View - A short story collection from characters in The Empire Strikes Back.

The Serengeti Rules - Sean B Carroll.
It’s second hand but in excellent condition.

We Are Legion by Dennis E. Taylor.

I've started the first one and it is a very easy read, so i've bought the second book in the series and I think I'll go back for the other two.