Book Hauls!

I've read One in 300. It was serialized in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction as well. Like almost everything I've read by J. T. McIntosh, it's OK in parts, not so great in others.

Went to a new book store/coffeehouse in Chattanooga today. It was pleasant enough. Just cheap used books, many donated. It's in an historically African-American area of town, so it has lots of books on that subject. We were the only non-African-American folks there. (I'm one-half Hispanic, married to a 100% Anglo.) I bought The Paper Men (1984) by William Golding of Lord of the Flies fame and The Cocktail Waitress (2012), by James M. Cain of The Postman Always Rings Twice fame, a novel published many years after his death by the folks at Hard Case Crime.

I found Best of Boulder Climbs, 92', with a sticker that shows Whole Earth Provisions as the seller for 14.95. Many of the routes in the book have become classics for anyone living in Boulder, and it features mostly hand drawn topography of the routes and some black and white photos. Modern guidebooks, like the beautifully published San Francisco Bay area guidebook, feature detailed, colored pictures that take the guesswork out of matching the painstaking, creative, detailed lead/ink to actual rock. I feel great to own such a book for a fraction of the price as it represents an important transition in our cultures/sports technology. The 90s truly represents the transition from print to digital, and it blends the two nicely. You can imagine that these guidebooks are durable so the quality of the print is also very high. Also picked up Exotic Rock for a couple of bucks, 94'. Here's one of the first global guidebooks filled with classic routes. The photoshopped cover hasn't aged well though.... I often wonder who owned these books and why and if they fell out of love with the sport.

I found Best of Boulder Climbs, 92', with a sticker that shows Whole Earth Provisions as the seller for 14.95. Many of the routes in the book have become classics for anyone living in Boulder, and it features mostly hand drawn topography of the routes and some black and white photos. Modern guidebooks, like the beautifully published San Francisco Bay area guidebook, feature detailed, colored pictures that take the guesswork out of matching the painstaking, creative, detailed lead/ink to actual rock. I feel great to own such a book for a fraction of the price as it represents an important transition in our cultures/sports technology. The 90s truly represents the transition from print to digital, and it blends the two nicely. You can imagine that these guidebooks are durable so the quality of the print is also very high. Also picked up Exotic Rock for a couple of bucks, 94'. Here's one of the first global guidebooks filled with classic routes. The photoshopped cover hasn't aged well though.... I often wonder who owned these books and why and if they fell out of love with the sport.
My bouldering gym opened last week for the first time in 5 months. I have no skin on my hands and my lats are on fire. It will take some time to get back on my game.

Unconquerable Sun by Kate Elliott. I’ve read great reviews for this book on the Chrons. It’s 99p on Amazon at the moment.

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis Taylor. Again, 99p in Amazon Kindle.

Just found these in the local Oxfam shop
F93C2265-C6AD-4D1C-AD1C-572796E060CD.jpeg

All I can think is that these have been cleared out after someone has died. There were a few Poul Anderson's of the same vintage, probably from the same collection.

Whatever, lucky me. I like van Vogt but have not read any of these.

I get to post in here I get to post in here! I bought a book - actual paper and ink books!!

Can you tell its been a while? !

fkNwTby.jpg

HbJ3Nfj.jpg

Indeed as I do much of my book buying on a Kindle now these are semi important books or arty stuff. In no particular order
1) Diablo Bestiary - The Book of Adria - a sketch book of various monsters and beasts from Diablo 3 lore and world.

2) The Art of Diablo - a big full colour book which shows concept art, sketches and more covering a wealth of the Diablo world setting, focusing a bit more on game 3 but also including some nice works from the upcoming 4th game.

3)The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Zendikar: Volume 1 - I've long been a fan of Magic the Gathering card art and this is the first of a long semi-new series they've done which collects some big prints of a selection of cards. Some show some suffering being blown up to full size and there's a few where I question why they chose that particular art to be enlarged over others. Some are, however, clearly made to be viewed large as well and show an insane amount of impressive quality for art that is destined for a playing card.

4) Assassin's Apprentice Illustrated Edition - came across these being made a few months back and was instantly very interested. Got this one to find out the overall quality and I can safely say that I'll be getting the others in the series in Illustrated editions.

5) The Complete Witchblade, Volume 2 paperback - my one slight disappointment as I'd wanted to get hold of hardback, however I left it a bit late and hardbacks were creeping up to rather high values. I might grab the hardback in time (it does have better binding for a thick book) ,but for now this is still the very same art and print quality.

6) Dreamland: The Fantastic World of Boris and Julie Bell, my favourite of all the above in terms of art, by far. It also includes a selection of prints in the back which are in a little envelope and are beautifully printed (no creases or fold out just a nice solid print you could frame if you wanted). The artwork in here is outstanding and the creative beasts and imagination are spot on. A great book, if perhaps a little 'risky' here and there.

So yep this is more art than stories, since most of my pure story books I get these days tend to be more digital on my Kindle - where I've been happily collecting up the Gotrek and Felix Omnibus editions and now have all 6 of them which complete the full collection of novels, novellas and short stories of Man and Dwarf as they adventure through the Old World of Warhammer.

Nice haul. I used to love collecting the fantasy art books in the nineties. I miss record cover art.

I'm trying hard to reduce the bulk of my stuff. But I'm getting discards and book sale books from the university library and the downtown library.

What is the missing factor for the equation?
1625081125792.png

At a used book store, I managed to get mass market paperback copies of:

The Changing Land, Dilvish the Damned and A Night in the Lonesome October, all by Roger Zelazny. I have hardback copies already, but seeing the paperbacks in good shape, couldn't pass it up. Probably will end up as some of the books I hand off to share with friends.

I'm trying hard to reduce the bulk of my stuff. But I'm getting discards and book sale books from the university library and the downtown library.

What is the missing factor for the equation?
View attachment 79700
The Outer Limits episode The Guest a great episode, poignant and sad. I felt so sorry for the young man and the time trapped girl whom he loved . He wouldn't leave her and would have become trapped in house too had he stayed. Out of love , she sacrificed herself so that that wouldn't happen . it gave the alien in the upstairs room the answer to the equation for what would save mankind. Love.

Hmmm. No one getting books anymore?
Oh well, library had a small outdoor book sale today specializing in new and near new books all for a dollar apiece. Found a couple I couldn't walk away from no matter how hard I tried:
Image (151).jpg
Image (152).jpg

Those look great!

It may be that we're still getting books but just neglecting the thread. :) Here are my latest four:
51GDTvhh-IL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51ohjOBxevL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51HfqPC8CtL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg
51r5+uNoigL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oh, yeah, still getting books, piles of them the past couple of weeks or so as the university library discards a lot of classic books that obviously got a lot of use back when educational priorities were different from those today. Faculty don't require library work any more, here at least. I've taken home studies of medieval English literature, books by or about everyone from Milton to Poe to Thoreau to Henry James to Shirley Jackson and R. C. Hutchinson. I haven't kept track but 30 might not be too far off. Some of the books are hardcovers with larger print than the paperbacks I already owned -- should be nice for reading with these aging eyes of mine. I hope to be able to report here about a certain set in the reference collection that might be discarded eventually...