Book Hauls!

Enjoy the cover art! This was one of the books in the 1968 list of sf that I included in one of my home-made magazines just before I his the teen years. I'd forgotten that I'd read it till I saw the list recently. Even then the title seemed juvenile to me, but I liked the novel very much...

The cat is Tess, whom we reckon turns 2 years old this month. She was born to a "barn cat" -- more precisely, a cat living in a shed with an open side, where odds and ends of farm-type equipment were stored.

That cover brings back memories of the first science fiction read by me back in elementary school. Honey Bee sends her warmest regards to Tess.

There's a place in Chattanooga called McKay's that buys and sells books and other media. I took a bunch of books there to today, earning eighty-odd bucks and a couple of dollars of book credit. While browsing, waiting for my reward, wearing a cloth mask as requested (many people did not) and following the arrows directing traffic in one direction in each row between shelves (many people did not) I picked up these cheap paperbacks:

Hercules, My Shipmate (1944) by Robert Graves (AKA The Golden Fleece)

Double, Double (1969) by John Brunner

The Mind Master (1981) by James Gunn (AKA The Dreamers)

Pacific Edge (1990) by Kim Stanley Robinson

Forever Peace (1997) by Joe Haldeman

I downloaded a couple of books by Walter Jon Williams set in the Praxis universe.

Investments
Impersonations.

Besides a couple of thrillers that look enjoyable, I picked up Medusa's Daughters ed. by Theodora Goss. This is an anthology of late Victorian Gothic by women. It includes a few chestnuts like Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper", E. Nesbit's "Man-Size in Marble" and Mary Wilkins Freeman's "Luella Miller" but also lesser known works and writers like May Kendall, Dora Sigerson Shorter, Charlotte Mew and others I've never heard of.

Got this from Bookmooch today. Anyone read it?
IMG_20200604_122654-01_copy_768x918.jpeg

That's the Coghill translation, right, AE35? I don't think I've read it straight through, but must have read quite a bit. But Chaucer's own Middle English becomes pretty readable (in a version with modern spelling) when one spends some time with it.

Found this at one of those ubiquitous roadside libraries a few minutes ago:

1107B366-5459-40A4-8094-D7CE42C2FDF4.jpeg

Back cover blurbs says: “What does Cain, history’s greatest Villain, have to do with Superman, the world’s greatest hero?” Add to that not one word about the White House, Capitol Hill, or the C.I.A. How could I not walk away with it?

I picked up a few Star Wars Books from Pre-Order.

The Art of Star Wars Rebels

Shadowfall by Alexander Freed. For some reason I ended up with two of these.

I really wanted to complete my reading of Iain M. Banks works, so I have downloaded Surface Detail, Matter, The Hydrogen Sonata and The Algebraist to my Kindle.

I also downloaded Flowers For Algernon, as it’s a book I have wanted to read for a loooong time.

I’ll finish Neal Asher’s Rise of the Jain trilogy first, then Surface detail, I think.

There are a few bargains on Amazon today. I have just downloaded a few SF titles.

Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy for £1.99
Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton for £0.99
the SF Masterworks version of Daniel Tevis's The Man Who Fell To Earth for £0.99
Cixin Liu's The Wandering Earth for £0.99
John Skalzi's The Collapsing Empire for £0.99

Cold War in a Country Garden isn't much good. Something brought an impression of the title and cover art to my mind after, it seems, many years, so I got a copy. I'm glad I didn't pay more for it than I did. It's funny how vague the author was about how the espionage agents were miniaturized.
cold war.jpg

Cold War in a Country Garden isn't much good. Something brought an impression of the title and cover art to my mind after, it seems, many years, so I got a copy. I'm glad I didn't pay more for it than I did. It's funny how vague the author was about how the espionage agents were miniaturized.
It sounds as though it ought to have gone full circle past not much good, all the way beyond awful and back to actually kind of fantastic :)

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. It was only 99p on Amazon. It's been a long time since I read any of Koontz's work. Maybe the nineties.

REF: AE35Unit.
I used to read a lot of the 87th Precinct books by Ed McBain (real name Evan Hunter), I used to enjoy the characters and plots but most of all the dark humor, the TV show Hill Street Blues used to remind me a lot of the books, one or two films made from them, have only seen "Fuzz" but that was pretty good.
P.S. It's strange how the detectives never aged, the first ones were written in the fifties and they were all WW2 or Korean War veterans, yet the books carried on into the nineties or later, complete with computers ect, but the main characters never changed or got promoted, it was if they were frozen in time, except maybe for detective Carella's children up to a point!

REF: AE35Unit.
I used to read a lot of the 87th Precinct books by Ed McBain (real name Evan Hunter), I used to enjoy the characters and plots but most of all the dark humor, the TV show Hill Street Blues used to remind me a lot of the books, one or two films made from them, have only seen "Fuzz" but that was pretty good.
P.S. It's strange how the detectives never aged, the first ones were written in the fifties and they were all WW2 or Korean War veterans, yet the books carried on into the nineties or later, complete with computers ect, but the main characters never changed or got promoted, it was if they were frozen in time, except maybe for detective Carella's children up to a point!
Well that's like James Bond. He never ages either.
By the way, Hill Street Blues was a show I loved, but McBain hated it!