Book Hauls!

Freebies #2:
Tess sf 2.JPG

Last edited:
I downloaded a few books last night.

Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, Ancillary Mercy and Provenance by Ann Leckie. These have been on my to read pile for a while and I made a commitment to reading more SF by female authors in 2020.

Shift and Dust to finish off Hugh Howey’s Wool trilogy. I see that there are now several prequel novels in the series. Anyone think they’re worth getting.
I liked the Ancillary Trilogy and Provenance.
I have read quite a few novels the last few years by female authors that were new to me: N.K. Jemisin, Martha Wells, Catherynne M. Valente, Jo Walton, Rebecca Roanhorse, Ada Palmer. Malka Older, Nnedi Okorafor, Claire North, Mary Robinette Kowal. And I probably missed a few.
More than enough choice.

As for Hugh Howey; I had to struggle to finish his Wool books. No compulsion to read the rest.

I picked up a signed copy of Dan Abnett's collection of short stories set in the Warhammer 40k universe.

"Lord of the Dark Millennium" is a thick tome.

3 very different books from a charity shop haul today.
I've always wanted to read some P. G. Wodehouse; have watched the TV series years ago.
I read some Ed McBain 87th precinct books years ago after my brother introduced me to the books.
And I like history. I've never heard of Simon Scarrow but for 50p you can't go wrong.
Un55Qep.jpg

Nice find. Have you reading Bierce before, Dask?

Randy M.
Just a short story here and there. Saw it on the table on the way to a 3:00 matinee of Lugosi' s Dracula and told myself if it was still there on the way back I'd get it. Seemed too good to pass up.

Just a caution, for me Bierce can be a bit much if read one after the other. I think he's best when you take the occasional break and come back.

Randy M.

I have that copy of Way Station. Is there an award for "most unrepresentative cover"?