Book Hauls!

When the English Fall by David Williams.

Vertigo wrote a wonderful review of this book, so I'm very intrigued.

I told my Philadelphia book-giving friend that I'd read Lois McMaster Bujold's Shards of Honor at last and was definitely up for more sf by her if he had spares on hand. Tess wandered over to get her picture with the LMB goodies that arrived today:
View attachment 54553
I’ll be very interested to hear how you get on with Bujold, Extollager. She’s wildly popular but not a great writer to my mind. Her books are okay modern pulp, little more, imho.

That's not too far from my impression based on the one novel, Bick, except that I thought there was more reality in the principal characters than I would expect from pulp, and that there was considerably more of a moral sense, e.g. when Cordelia remarks on how tests are gifts (p. 235 of the Baen market paperback of Cordelia's Honor).

Oronzo Cilli's Tolkien's Library arrived, and I'm reporting on some findings in the Forums section dedicated to JRRT.

Haven't got it yet but want to. Saw it in Barnes & Noble the other day. Anyone read this or know anything about it?
tumblr_lzi6nmre7q1r3fbh9.jpg

I just picked up a very interesting anthology I’ve not seen before in a rare old book shop in Melbourne: Isaac Asimov presents the Best SF of the 19th Century. A first edition HB in near-mint condition from 1983. I probably paid more for it than was sensible, but it looks like a corker. Contains stories by Hoffman, Shelley, Poe, Doyle, Hawthorne, de Maupassant, Wells, Cutliffe Hyne, London and others. It will be an education for me at any rate.

Went to a local used book shop, Black and Read, this evening in hopes of finding "World Walker" by Melisa Michaels. No luck. But, as usual when I wind up in a used book shop, I wound up with a nice haul of books that are either out of print or not available in audio or an ebook format I can read on my Kobo. "The Paladin" by C. J. Cherryh, "The Last Rainbow" and "Firelord" by Parke Godwin, "The Bones of Time" and "Crescent City Rhapsody" by Kathleen Ann Goonan, and "Illusion" by Paula Volsky."

Haven't got it yet but want to. Saw it in Barnes & Noble the other day. Anyone read this or know anything about it?
View attachment 55353

Dask, meant to reply a while back. I haven't heard anything about it, but being Newman I expect it would be fun. I wasn't enthusiastic about his first novel, The Night Mayor but Anno Dracula was a terrific read and I've found his short stories entertaining and a few even better than entertaining.

Randy M.

Thank you. Think I picked up Anno Dracula at a book sale several years back but got ride of it thinking I would never get around to it. Sometimes my jugular needs a good whack!

Found a few interesting items today:

Image (280).jpg
Image (281).jpg
Image (282).jpg

The Time Dissolver sports one of Richard Powers' most riveting covers, The Authentic Touch one of the most lackluster in SF publishing history. The Black Curtain, like its author, is intriguing and competent. As bland and annoying as the middle cover is it is still perhaps the most significant find of the three. It is the first book by Jack Wodhams I've ever come across. I've enjoyed several of his stories in Analog but have never actually seen one of his books. Not a bad day at the bookstore if I say so myself.

A bought Adrian Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War after reading Vertigo's review. I also downloaded Children of Ruin.

Adrian's been on my radar for a while now, so Dogs of War will be my next read.

I have just mentioned this on the Poul Anderson thread.
If anyone is interested NESFA Press have published a seven volume set of his shorter fiction.
This is more or less all of his short stories and novellas.
They have done a lovely job as always, each volume is five or six hundred pages plus.
I got them all from Amazon.
And as mentioned before NESFA do a eight volume set of the short stories of Jack Williamson!

Okay, had a pretty good time at the library book sale today. Here's what I couldn't walk away from:
Image (284).jpg
Image (285).jpg

Image (286).jpg
Image (288).jpg

Image (287).jpg
Image (289).jpg

Half price day so all these were 50 cents apiece except for the Booth Tarkington which I plucked off the freebie shelf a week or two ago.

I started Shadows... years ago but only read 3-4 stories. An interesting premise that even so can lead to much sameness between stories. On the other hand, it's the first publication of Neil Gaiman's "A Study in Emerald" and that is excellent, both Holmesian and Lovecraftian.

Randy M.

IMG_20191004_220618093_HDR~2.jpg
Went to a huge book sale held annually here in town as a benefit for a food bank. The SFF pickings were slim this year, but this is what I got, tome-wise (I also got some DVDs and CDs):

Picked up a copy of Realmslayer Script Book from the Black Library. It's the script from the audio novel Realmslayer, which is the beginning of the adventures of Gotrek as he enters the infinite new Realms of the Age of Sigmar and which also features Brian Blessed voicing Gotrek (seriously its worth a listen just for that alone!). For fans its a neat book as not only has it got the entire script of the audio novel, but also 30 pages of cover art from the Old World series of books, which for me is fantastic as I've been reading through those novels in their omnibus editions digitally, so I otherwise don't have any of those great covers. There's also a short part at the back which shows several pages of the original annotated script.

I've not been picking up many books as of late, my Kindle and the somewhat lack of storage space has cut down on my book harvesting. However I didn't want to pass up a chance to get this (esp as many of the BL books of this nature tend to be short print runs).

I also saw the new Folio Society books for Game of Thrones, but with a pricetag well over £100 that's far too rich for my blood. Perhaps one day, asides the longer I wait the more chance there is that GRRM will finish the tale and one can get the complete story Folio style.

I'm coming to the end of the excellent Repairman Jack series, so I downloaded Nightworld just to finish his story and also to see how much my knowledge of these books will affect the final book in the Adversary cycle.

I also downloaded Cold City, Dark City and Fear City (three books that are not involved in the Adversary cycle, but tell stories relating to Jack's early years in New York). In addition, Teen Jack trilogy (Secret Histories, Secret Circles and Secret Vengeance.

I will be sad to have read all of these books. Jack's a great character and I have enjoyed them so much.