Book Hauls!

I feel a television series coming...A Man and his Cat on the Rails - the story of a sci fi fan and his pet retracing pre-war rail travel between the two capitals of the south and north of Britain.

Get in quick before the BBC gives it to Portillo!

Just picked up books 1-4 of Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series at a yard sale today for $1 :D. Haven't read anything of his before but they looked interesting enough and at 25¢ each how could I resist?

Not really a "Book Haul" item, in the sense of a note about a recent acquisition -- but this booklet about rail travel between London and Edinburgh, 1939 (and evidently printed before war was declared) is something I stumbled across just now. How it came my way, I'm not sure. I like the design, which suggests interwar travel posters to me.
View attachment 53116

Obscure but good excuse to post handsome picture of your reading mate.

Found all these today. (Plus some non-SF books.) I think I'm going to post separately about Hollow Faces, Merciless Moons.

Just picked up books 1-4 of Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series at a yard sale today for $1 :D. Haven't read anything of his before but they looked interesting enough and at 25¢ each how could I resist?
Can't complain about a deal like that - but did you know they're children's books though? My son enjoyed the first two, but feels they're a bit young for him now (he's 13).

Aand... My father has promptly absconded with the "Lester del Rey Collection." Says I can have it back when we leave. (I'm visiting my parents for a few days.)

Can't complain about a deal like that - but did you know they're children's books though? My son enjoyed the first two, but feels they're a bit young for him now (he's 13).

Oh I know, but, then again, so are the Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time yet they're enjoyable at any age. There are some great middle grade/young adult books (new and old) that are still fun reads, just like there are adult books that are dreadful ones. For 25 cents each, I'm willing to take the chance. Might like them, might not, and if I don't they'll go back out in my own yard sale. I used to work in a library, and you might be surprised by how many of the adults found they preferred reading older middle grade and young adult scifi/fantasy than they did the adult ones.

Oh I know, but, then again, so are the Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time yet they're enjoyable at any age. There are some great middle grade/young adult books (new and old) that are still fun reads, just like there are adult books that are dreadful ones. For 25 cents each, I'm willing to take the chance. Might like them, might not, and if I don't they'll go back out in my own yard sale. I used to work in a library, and you might be surprised by how many of the adults found they preferred reading older middle grade and young adult scifi/fantasy than they did the adult ones.
I was in my middle 40's when I read them, and loved them. Good books are good books, regardless of the intended age of the target audience.

Or, maybe I'm just a big kid at heart. After all, Brandon Mull, Eoin Colfer and Holly Black are among my favorite authors. :D

Coming through the time portal... another shipment of vintage sf sent for free by my Seattle friend.
sf 1.JPG

They're fun to look at. Does anyone see anything here that is a particularly good read?

I've read some of the Bradbury collection. When I was a kid I read Warrior of Llarn and The Castle of Iron, and The Lost World is something of a lifelong favorite. I figured I'd read The Day of the Star Cities as the first of the rest of these.

I was thrilled by The Wall Around the World when I was about 10. Excellent story.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth is quite well known...

Coming through the time portal... another shipment of vintage sf sent for free by my Seattle friend.
View attachment 53665
Oh, not this again! Can your friend be bought? Anyway, some of the most stunning stuff you can rest your eyeballs on. A number of them I have in noticeably worse condition, some I've seen around but never latched onto, and some new, like the Rex Gordon which looks really cool.