Book Hauls!

Received the two-volume edition of Prescott's Conquest of Mexico (1843), a book I've been interested in for some time. Rider Haggard acknowledged its importance for one of his best romances, Montezuma's Daughter, & Leo Tolstoy said it made a great impression on him.View attachment 50170
Van Wyck Brooks said such good things about Prescott in The Flowering Of New England I put his The History Of The Reign Of Ferdinand And Isabella The Catholic on my Kindle which was offering all three volumes for free. The Conquest Of Mexico is only $0.99 but I have to wait till this weekend to download it as I only have $0.60 left on my gift card. That's the way I shop on Amazon if anyone's interested. I buy myself gift cards. That way I don't have to run the risk of using my charge card any more than necessary online.

A nice little haul for me today - I found in a used book store, in near mint condition, all 6 of Moorcock's original Elric books in the Grafton paperback imprint from the late 1980's with the Michael Whelan covers. All with tight binding, no marks, perfect spines, etc. All now sitting on the shelf, encouraging a Moorcock readathon in the near future. Abso-bloomin'-fantastic.

IMG_2381.JPG

A nice little haul for me today - I found in a used book store, in near mint condition, all 6 of Moorcock's original Elric books in the Grafton paperback imprint from the late 1980's with the Michael Whelan covers. All with tight binding, no marks, perfect spines, etc. All now sitting on the shelf, encouraging a Moorcock readathon in the near future. Abso-bloomin'-fantastic.

View attachment 50336
Fantastic. I have all of those in a variety of 70s editions. Nice to get a complete set.

Stumbled across the rather wonderful Broadleaf Books in a backstreet in Abergavenny yesterday. This sort of well-curated second-hand bookshop has all but disappeared.
Picked up a couple of missing volumes for my New Naturalist collection.
Also purchased the following:

1551261801148.png

First Russia, Then Tibet by Robert Byron. I enjoyed his classic Road to Oxiana, and had not heard of this one. Travels in Russia and Tibet in the early 1930s.

1551262184191.png

Calcutta by Geoffrey Moorhouse. My main knowledge of Calcutta is from one of the Flashman novels. This was published nearly 50 years ago, but is highly rated. I changed trains once in Calcutta and spent a few hours in the railway station, but otherwise do not know the city. Thought I should improve my knowledge since I am going there for work purposes later this year.

View attachment 50336
I have those exact copies.

Hitmouse! Your posting caught my eye.

I read Moorhouse's Fearful Void many years ago -- about a crossing of the Sahara. Very good, as I recall.

I have First Russia, Then Tibet, but have read only some of it, somehow.

Hitmouse! Your posting caught my eye.

I read Moorhouse's Fearful Void many years ago -- about a crossing of the Sahara. Very good, as I recall.

I have First Russia, Then Tibet, but have read only some of it, somehow.
I will post on the travel lit thread when I have read them.

This came yesterday:

41WfGVEM2UL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

No dust jacket came with this hardback. It was listed as in good condition. The flaws, if you want to call them that, are the Southern Arkansas University stamp on all three paper edges and a sticker on the spine for shelf location. Other than that it looks brand new. Clean pages with no pen marks, no grime from being thumbed, strong binding. What Robert Sheckley might refer to as "untouched by human hands." Don't they read sf in Arkansas? Cost about six bucks, shipping included.

More detail here -- 1952 and 1953 issues:

They are followed there by issues from 1954-1960. There are 45 issues in all. As a Simak fan, I'm happy to see that there are several of his stories in the batch.

Last edited:
What the heck! Someone just up and send you their collection from the fifties? Wow. They need new friends by any chance?

What the heck! Someone just up and send you their collection from the fifties? Wow. They need new friends by any chance?

My penpal's an old-time sf and fantasy fan. Possibly you'd recognize his name though he's not one of the real Big Name Fans (BNFs), but I don't have permission to say it. But my impression was not that these 48 (not 45) issues were from his own library, but ones he spotted somewhere that were being thrown away.

Last edited: