Book Hauls!

Charity Shop finds

Anansi Boys - by Neil Gaiman
Godmother Night - by Rachel Pollack
The Centauri Device - by M. John Harrison
High-Rise - by J.G. Ballard

Downloaded a free digital copy of Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu off Amazon earlier today. Hope to start is sometime after Halloween. Maybe before, if I can be convinced. Who knows? Would it make a good Halloween read?

I stayed a night in St Albans, quite randomly, and wandered into the Oxfam bookshop with no great expectations, only to find these 3 beauties (not my photos) for 99p apiece. Amongst them 2 stone cold classic stories and a pile of other goodness, including a RA Lafferty SS in IF. I like it when this sort of thing happens.

$_58.JPG
s-l300.jpg
46264.jpg

Downloaded a free digital copy of Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu off Amazon earlier today. Hope to start is sometime after Halloween. Maybe before, if I can be convinced. Who knows? Would it make a good Halloween read?

I dug out an old Dover edition I have and will probably start it in November, too.

Just picked up The Fisherman by John Langan and The Weird Tales of Tanith Lee, which collects all the stories she published in various incarnation of the magazine.

Randy M.

Last edited:
I guess this counts as "book hauls":

Some months ago my better half and I purchased the inventory of a used book store in North Carolina and eventually had it schlepped to a warehouse just over the Georgia border from Chattanooga. Besides odd stuff like 78 rpm records (which are amazingly fragile) and LP's and craft/hobby magazines and sewing patterns and such, there are (10,000? 15,000? 20,000?) books, hardcover and paperback. The biggest category of nonfiction, by far, is cookbooks. The majority of fiction consists of Romance paperbacks and their slightly classier cousins (Danielle Steele and her sisters) and Action paperbacks and their slightly classier cousins (Tom Clancy and his brothers.) As we slowly go through this stuff, hoping to eventually get it off our hands in one way or another, ranging from dumping old magazines in the recycle bin to selling as many of the books as have any value someplace or another, once in a very great while I find something I want to read; maybe one out of a thousand or so. Here's what I have found so far that I added to my reading pile.

A couple of psychological suspense novels by noted authors of that form:

Rendezvous in Black by Cornell Woolrich (1948)

The Cry of the Owl by Patricia Highsmith (1962)

A couple of items of SFF interest:

Age of Wonders: Exploring the World of Science Fiction by David G. Hartwell (1985)

The Businessman: A Tale of Terror by Thomas M. Disch (1984)

Victoria, would you like to tell more about the store, the vibe, the how you learned of it, etc? Sounds interesting, and deserving of its own thread.

Long and somewhat tedious story short:

We drove by the bookstore while on vacation in North Carolina. Tiny place, tens of thousands of books (and other stuff) shoved into a few rooms. We wander around, owner says the stock is available for $18,000. We raise the money, make the deal, have it moved to the warehouse in cardboard boxes. (Mind you, this takes several months.) Now we are organizing the books into some kind of order. What will happen in the future is hard to foresee. For now, it's a lot of sorting.

Wow, gutsy move.

What he said.

Funny, I have copies of all 4 of those books (not first editions) and still haven't read a damn one. I'll be interested in hearing what you think as you get the chance to read them.

Randy M.

Local charity today, sign outside BOOK SALE.
I strolled in and an awful lot of romance and self improvement books :(
Then I spied these two big hardbacks, 50p each, I have them anyways in tatty old paperback and as ebooks but come on, both for £1?

Got to the till and he says two for one.
50p for Peter Hamilton Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained in very good condition hardback!!!!
tmp-cam--1246434859.jpg

Managed to get a nice selection of books at BristolCon. Clockwise from top left: Bristolian Steampunk; a technological fantasy; something by our own Toby Frost; and a sci-fi techno-thriller, which was a freebie in the welcome pack.
BristolCon books.jpg

Just now I'm getting swamped by books: some I have bought, some were given to me by a bookish contact in the Seattle area, some are coming from another bookish contact, in Philadelphia, and a bunch were inherited.

An old friend sent Gordon Dickson's The Earth Lords. Has anyone here read it? It doesn't look like the kind of thing I would like.

Acquired Russell Kirk's Gothic novel Old House of Fear (which came up briefly on the Gothic thread) and his collected ghost stories, Ancestral Shadows.

Relating to a place in Oregon where I used to live: Jensen's Dealing with the Dead: Coos County Coroner's Office 1854 to 1962.

A Church Father who's been likened to Dante: The Harp of the Spirit: Poems of St. Ephrem the Syrian, translated by Sebastian Brock. Those of you who liked John Tavener's music during his Orthodox period might recognize Ephrem as the source of the text for Thunder Entered Her:

Thunder entered her
and made no sound:
there entered the shepherd of all
and in her He became
the Lamb, bleating as He comes forth.

(Merry Christmas!)

Nicholas Carr's The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains

ERB's Tarzan the Terrible -- is this worth reading?

Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival

Lots more to come.

I think i have read Tarzan the Terrible. Merges into the stories of all the other Tarzans I have read, that is: effective and exciting pulp, which now has something of a historical interest. Do not expect literature.

An old friend sent Gordon Dickson's The Earth Lords. Has anyone here read it? It doesn't look like the kind of thing I would like.

I would be interested in your opinion if you do get round to reading it. I bought it couple of years ago but it's way down my stack of reading priorities.

It was suggested by Amazon or Google books when I was getting The Mount by Carol Emshwiller - related story type.

I really must (one day) read it. Trouble is I've about two hundred unread books and about three hundred unread ebooks . can't resist bargains!

Just now I'm getting swamped by books: some I have bought, some were given to me by a bookish contact in the Seattle area, some are coming from another bookish contact, in Philadelphia, and a bunch were inherited.

Acquired Russell Kirk's Gothic novel Old House of Fear (which came up briefly on the Gothic thread) and his collected ghost stories, Ancestral Shadows.

Relating to a place in Oregon where I used to live: Jensen's Dealing with the Dead: Coos County Coroner's Office 1854 to 1962.

A Church Father who's been likened to Dante: The Harp of the Spirit: Poems of St. Ephrem the Syrian, translated by Sebastian Brock. Those of you who liked John Tavener's music during his Orthodox period might recognize Ephrem as the source of the text for Thunder Entered Her:

Thunder entered her
and made no sound:
there entered the shepherd of all
and in her He became
the Lamb, bleating as He comes forth.

(Merry Christmas!)

Nicholas Carr's The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains

ERB's Tarzan the Terrible -- is this worth reading?

Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival

Lots more to come.

Wow! Guess you're staying home for the holidays, huh?

Today I found

Gloriana
and
The Von Bek Trilogy

Both by Michael Moorcock

Can anyone tell me if these are standalone. I don’t know a lot about Moorcock except that he wrote loads of interconnected books.

Can I just start reading these two or not?