Book Hauls!

I finally found John Wyndham's "Day of the Triffids" in a second hand book shop in very good condition. I've seen it before several times but it's always been falling apart and so I've left it.

I finally found John Wyndham's "Day of the Triffids" in a second hand book shop in very good condition. I've seen it before several times but it's always been falling apart and so I've left it.

Read it last month. Loved it! I'll be keeping an eye out for a copy...

Just got a copy off eBay myself, looking forward to reading it.

On Friday I did something I haven't done in a while and bought a book new, Dhalgren by Samuel R Delany in Waterstones for a tenner. A lot of mixed reviews on this but I'm 200 pages in and loving it.

Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon
The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner
Ringworld by Lary Niven
Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh

All second hand. Stocking up for a trip to Scotland in May to a remote log cabin with my wife :)

That sounds like a lot of fun.:)

One more in the mail:

Jack Williamson - The Best of Jack Williamson

I just got into Henning Mankell's crime novels featuring Kurt Wallander. Not SF or fantasy, but terrific nonetheless. I picked up "Faceless Killers" and "The Dogs of Riga". Anyone else read any Henning Mankell?

Picked up Sailing To Utopia. It's a collection of four Michael Moorcock novels (the only one I've read previously being The Black Corridor).

Interestingly, another of the stories is The Ice Schooner. Some schmuck was trying to sell a copy of this novel for around £40 on Amazon but I picked up this collection(including The Ice Schooner) for less than £10.

I just got into Henning Mankell's crime novels featuring Kurt Wallander. Not SF or fantasy, but terrific nonetheless. I picked up "Faceless Killers" and "The Dogs of Riga". Anyone else read any Henning Mankell?

Yes... I read those and perhaps one or two others, but found that a couple or so that I tried didn't seem worth finishing. However, I'm normally not a reader of mysteries, so don't take my comments too seriously!

I know someone who is working on a two-volume study of the current Scandinavian police procedurals, mysteries, etc. She recommends:

From Sweden:

the Sjowall-Wahloo series about Martin Beck
Liza Markland's The Red Wolf
Camilla Lackberg's The Gallows Bird
Leif Persson's Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End
Hakon Nesser's Borkmann's Point

Form Norway:

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series including The Redbreast and The Snowman
Anne Holt's Hanne Wilhelmsen series, including 1222 and Blind Goddess
Thomas Enger's Burned
Karin Fossum's Don't Look Back

From Iceland:

Arnaldur Indridason's Silence of the Grace and Jar City
Yrsa Sigurdadattir's Last Rituals and Ashes to Ashes

From Denmark:

Jussi Adler-Olsen's Department Q series, beginning with Mercy
The Kaaberbol-Friss Nina Borg series, beginning with The Boy in the Suitcase

From Finland:

Matti Joensuu's The Priest of Evil
Kjell Westo's Lang

I am writing in a hurry -- someone else wants the computer -- so please pardon the lack of diacritical marks. I know they do matter. However, they don't matter if you are an English-speaking person looking for books on Amazon.

I have read none of these, so I'm just passing on some information that might interest someone. My source has read over a hundred of these recent books and does have reading knowledge of at least one or two of the original languages; but she is referring to English translations.

Some Kindle purchases:

Edgar Rice Burroughs - Tarzan: The Complete Adventures
Arthur Conan Doyle - The Complete Sherlock Holmes (published by Di Lernia)
Herman Melville - Complete Works of Herman Melville (published by Delphi Classics)
Jules Verne - Amazing Journeys: Five Visionary Classics, The Sphinx of the Ice Realm both translated by Frederick Paul Walter; The Mysterious Island translated by Jordan Stump

I know someone who is working on a two-volume study of the current Scandinavian police procedurals, mysteries, etc. She recommends: ...a heap of books
Hi Extollager, many thanks for the great list of recommended Scandinavian police procedurals... its a genre in itself, isn't it. I'll put some on those on my TBR list.

Some money came in and some purchases mysteriously resulted:

In the mail:

Herbert R. Lottman - Jules Verne: An Exploratory Biography

On Kindle:

Lord Byron - Complete Works of Lord Byron
Geoffrey Chaucer - Complete Works of Chaucer
Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo (translated by Robin Buss)
Herman Melville - Billy Budd
Edgar Allan Poe - Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
Mary Shelley - Complete Works of Mary Shelley
H.G. Wells - The Collected Novels of H.G. Wells
Oscar Wilde - Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

For those who use ebooks and may be interested, I do recommend the publisher Delphi Classics for collections. (At least for stuff originally published in English.) The formatting and table of contents tend to good, if not always great, and they throw in everything including the kitchen sink. The Melville volume even contains a (book-length) biography!

We found a used book store in the college town of Jefferson City, Tennessee. Pretty much just a big pile of paperbacks, but I found some old anthologies -- a couple of Knight's Orbit series, a couple of Harrison's Nova series. It was odd to see that Nova 3 had been republished under the misleading title The Outdated Man.

51UHu-ute-L.jpg

Cool! Can't be sure but I don't think I've ever seen this which is a little strange. Judging by the cover price this was the era of my most extreme heavy duty sf collecting.

"I'm so excited", as The Pointer Sisters once sang. I just ordered the Library of America 1950's Science fiction collection of 9 novels. The amazing thing is, that I've not read any of these specific books. It's an uncanny and beautiful thing.