Book Hauls!

Just had a nice treat. In one of those "saw this and thought of you" moments, my sister just handed me Bundori, by Laura Joh Rowland. She said she'd found it in a bookshop in town that usually only sells books of road maps, cookbooks, reference books and chick-lit, so I'm going to have to look a bit closer in there the next time I'm in there, especially since she got it for only £2.50 (and part of a buy one get one free deal).:rolleyes::) Still, I'm very grateful to her for finding it.:)

Last edited:
The Algebraist, [SIZE=-1]Iain M. Banks.

20 p (40c) at the library sell-off table....:rolleyes:

[/SIZE]

1978 publishing of the Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien (Its in a maroon cover with gold gilt and lettering) it also feature a bunch of maps and pictures throughout the book all for $12.

Pyan you lucky git ;) i can't even find Banks in the library and still waiting for Consider Phlebas to come on Bookmooch

You can get Banks for cheap from the UK. There's this bookseller on abebooks.com called Pete Wilson who has the cheapest prices AND shipping rates. I got The Algebraist and Against a Dark Background for under $10, shipping to Brazil included.

I have yet to read either. I haven't read anything at all in the last two months, because of this little beauty:

f_IMGP3000m_49fd9fa.jpg

Oh i don't want to buy any Banks as I'd not read any of his stuff and I might not like it.
Congrats on the new arrival! I can relate too as i have young kids myself and never get chance to read.

Just ordered:

Hidden City: The House Wars Book One By Michelle Sagara West. (Been waiting for this book for ages.)
Three Bedrooms One Corpse by Charlaine Harris (A guilty pleasures book)
The Camel Club by David Baldacci
In a Time of Treason by David Keck (Second in the trilogy)

At a recent church book sale:

Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson
Shadow Puppets - Orson Scott Card
Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert (I don't know a thing about this book, but it was an impulse buy)
The Once and Future King - T.H. White
Yet another copy of The Silmarillion
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke (I've been curious about this book for some time now, having seen it all over the place)

Grand total: $6.75!

Great stuff you got there Iorek444!

I've read all the books on your list, except for T.H. White's The Once and Future King which sounds very interesting...Be prepared to spend some time on Gardens of the Moon (IMHO your entrance to the best Epic fantasy to date; nothing more can be said...:D)

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell; beautifully written and a world fantasy award winner to boot. Clark mimics the style/prose of Jane Austen which IMHO she pulls off masterfully (though have to admit, only read Northanger Abbey and Emma). Might seem slow going at the start, my advice is to stick with it; a rewarding experience in the end/overall. Plot and pacing didn't matter to me, I read and loved it for the prose alone.:)

You've already read The Silmarrillion?

Cheers, DeepThought

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell; beautifully written and a world fantasy award winner to boot. Clark mimics the style/prose of Jane Austen which IMHO she pulls off masterfully (though have to admit, only read Northanger Abbey and Emma). Might seem slow going at the start, my advice is to stick with it; a rewarding experience in the end/overall. Plot and pacing didn't matter to me, I read and loved it for the prose alone.:)
Quite agree, DT...the pacing alone marked it out for me, and the comparison with Jane Austen is apt.

Great stuff you got there Iorek444!

Be prepared to spend some time on Gardens of the Moon (IMHO your entrance to the best Epic fantasy to date; nothing more can be said...:D)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell; beautifully written and a world fantasy award winner to boot.
You've already read The Silmarrillion?

Cheers, DeepThought

I have read The Silmarillion (a little slow going, but I thought it was great).

Thanks for the information on the other books, I'm very excited about Gardens of the Moon and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell now!

You're welcome!:)

Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert (I don't know a thing about this book, but it was an impulse buy)

Thats actually quite a good catch; in fact, it's the second volume in Frank Herbert's famous Dune sequence of which the first novel Dune is (considered by many, including me!;)) among the greatest SF works of all time.

Quote below (by none other than Authur C. Clarke himself) is from my Gollancz SF Masterworks (Hardcover) edition of Dune:

"Unique among SF novels...I know nothing comparable to it accept The Lord of the Rings"

Cheers, DeepThought

Last edited:
I'll second DeepThought on Dune Messiah. Though it's one that tends to polarize people, I think a big part of the problem (with most, anyway) is that it is such a different book, in many ways, from its predecessor. In its own way, it's every bit as meaty and full of thought (if not more so), but a different kind, and in more concentrated form....

I've got a book that is determined to mess me around, it seems. I have to read In Cold Blood for my creative writing class. I know I've already got it -- but at home, back in the Midlands and I don't quite know where and I can't be bothered to send vague directions to my mum over the phone, asking her to search for it. So I decided to order it from Amazon (and it gave me an excuse to buy The Mighty Boosh season three at the same time) only it's not going to arrive until...I don't know, Christmas 2010, it seems -- OK, Friday or somewhen around there and it needs to be read for Wednesday. Damn and blast.

Rant :mad:

Bought Aleksandr Gromov Russki Arkan - Russian Lariat(Lasso) Friday, it's a continuation of a alternative history, where there are no American continents

Also got a call that my book order has arrived and yesterday got them from bookshop -
Steven Brust Dzur
Scott Lynch The Lies of Locke Lamorra
Jim Butcher Blood Rites and White Night

I have a feeling that they are monitoring my book buying, how else can these things happen at the same time :cool:

I bought
- the Empire trilogy (Wurts/Feist )
- The Sleeping God by Violette Malan (loved The Mirror Prince)
- Flight of the Nighthawks by Feist
- The Family Trade by Charles Stross

The last 2 were in the bargain bin. I love finding a bargain 'first' book. That way I can get a taste for the series and see if it's worth getting the rest. :)

Theodore Sutgeon, by Lucy Menger.

This is a 140 page critical analysis of his major works. It's a really nice library edition. Smells great, totally reminds me of being in a library.

Baby is Three, Volume VI of Sturgeon's short stories
The Saucer of Loneliness, Volume VII of Sturgeon's short stories

5 more volumes and I've got them all...