• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Book Hauls!

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
When the English Fall by David Williams.

Vertigo wrote a wonderful review of this book, so I'm very intrigued.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
I told my Philadelphia book-giving friend that I'd read Lois McMaster Bujold's Shards of Honor at last and was definitely up for more sf by her if he had spares on hand. Tess wandered over to get her picture with the LMB goodies that arrived today:
View attachment 54553
I’ll be very interested to hear how you get on with Bujold, Extollager. She’s wildly popular but not a great writer to my mind. Her books are okay modern pulp, little more, imho.

Extollager

That's not too far from my impression based on the one novel, Bick, except that I thought there was more reality in the principal characters than I would expect from pulp, and that there was considerably more of a moral sense, e.g. when Cordelia remarks on how tests are gifts (p. 235 of the Baen market paperback of Cordelia's Honor).

Extollager

Oronzo Cilli's Tolkien's Library arrived, and I'm reporting on some findings in the Forums section dedicated to JRRT.