Book Hauls!

Dask, I have a similar sense of St. Clair and that story collection would tickle my fancy enough to at least dip in. The Richard Wilson would interest me because he lived in my city and his s.f. book collection is the core of the Special Collections s.f. collection at the Syracuse University Library.

Randy M.

That's pretty cool. Ever meet him?

Unfortunately, no. He passed away before I fully appreciated his significance as a writer and fan.

Randy M.

Couple of decent finds at an antique store:
Image (200).jpg
Image (201).jpg

The comic is especially nice: 12 center, 1966---good solid Silver Age year, and Joe Kubert cover AND story art. Five bucks each.

Went into the usually crappy charity shop for the first time in months. Found three Discworld books. 20p each, a bargain.

The lady says "Oh, you like Pratchett? I've more out the back, someone brought a batch of them in". She goes and fetches another half a dozen, only one of which I already owned. Then she goes for another look, and comes out with three hardbacks. 50p each, still bargains.
Finally, she has another delve or two, and finds more, only one of which I had already.

End result - £4.70 for nineteen Discworld books, nine of which I've only ever read once, and mostly that was back in 2002 when I borrowed one after another from a friend.

Happy Harpo :)

Speaking about book hauls this thread has made me green with jealousy as bibliophile over the years. I can't just compare second hand stores with the ones in UK/USA/Australia most the chrons regulars have to choose from. 49 p for George Elliot even with Rachel's notes is great haul.

I have bought as new 300-400 books in English as original language,translated from other languages, thanks to fellow SFF chrons members recommendations and all these books are from my fav local bookshop in the 4th biggest city in Sweden, Uppsala English Bookshop.

The London Book Fair International Excellence Awards 2018: Winners Announced

Finally now I can boast that my favourite bookstore is the best in the world :D

Last edited:
Went to a local library book sale and got a bunch of stuff. Of SFF interest:

The Martians (1999) by Kim Stanley Robinson; collection of stories set in his Mars Trilogy universe.

Driving Blind (1997) by Ray Bradbury; collection of stories mostly original to the book.

Tales from the Planet Earth (1986) edited by Frederik Pohl and Elizabeth Anne Hull; collection of stories on a common theme from around the world.

Ballad of the Stars (1982) by Genrikh Altov and Valentina Zhuravlyova, a collection of translated stories by this Soviet married couple; some by each author, then one in collaboration.

My copy of Chronicles Star Wars models (episodes IV to VI) arrived today.

497F3723-2801-473B-817E-B9B1809E2ACE.jpeg

Picked this up at a book sale today for a buck:
Image (212).jpg

Wrap around cover with this on the back:
Image (213).jpg

Fred Astaire's on the spine doing his thing on what look like big bongo drums. Not sure what they're really called but they remind me of Desi Arnaz singing "Babalu".

Ordered Finding Fontainebleau by American author Thad Carthart, who wrote a bestseller The Piano Shop on the Left Bank, I adore that book. He also wrote a historical fiction about American explorer Jean-Baptiste Charbonneau.

y648.jpg

images

Two recent purchases I thought others here might be interested in. I see both as volumes I hope to get to in late summer or early fall this year.

Last year HarperCollins started issuing revised editions of Hugh Lamb edited collections originally published in England but not in the U.S. I'll be looking into the volumes for E. Nesbit, Bernard Capes, A.C. and R.H. Benson (brothers of E. F. Benson), and Erckmann-Chatrain, a partnership of French writers highly thought of among ghost story aficionados. The Benson and Erckmann-Chatrain are scheduled for release later this year; the Nesbit and Benson were released last October.

Lenour Ltd. website shows several collections of this kind, though you have to wade through a lot of listed books to find them.

Randy M.

Just finished reading 'The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy' edited by Mike Ashley. A compilation of around 35 amusing fantasy tales, some more amusing than others :) Found in a charity shop at £1.50....bargain.
20180511_191809.JPG

Johndsal, welcome to Chrons!

Do you like John Bellairs (The Face in the Frost; unfinished sequel, The Dolphin Cross)?