Book Hauls!

Found this at the retirement home my step-dad lives in, so I "borrowed" it:
View attachment 38086
Don't worry, I'll return it after I read it but anyone know who wrote it?

A quick search reveals that this is one of three that Jack Vance ghost wrote. I know Theodore Sturgeon and Avram Davidson did some, too.

A stationers in a backwater town in New Zealand today had a sale of new books in the Flame Tree 451 book series - these seem to be cheapish editions of classics. I've seen them on sale for $15 each in other stores. This store was flogging then for $1 each!

I picked up three:

William Hope Hodgson's The House on the Borderland;
Arthur Machen's The Three Imposters; and
Nathaniel Hawthorne's The House of the Seven Gables.

So I'm $3 poorer, but much the richer for it.

We found a book in a very strange way. My better half was cleaning out a desk, taking out each drawer one at a time. Stuck behind them was a Mysterious Press hardcover reprint of the hard-boiled crime novel You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up (1938) by "Richard Hallas." We have no idea how it got there, since we bought the desk new. To add to the oddness, we found out that "Richard Hallas" was actually Eric Knight, author of Lassie Come-Home.

Great story, Victoria! It would have been neat enough if it had been a recent reprint of a Dr. Seuss book. But how much better that it was a Mysterious book!

Finally won a Ebay bid for one of my all time favorites in the original 1958 Avalon 1st edition. It's a haul as I paid about 20% of the current list price for fine condition copies.
lang.jpg

I had a late night mini splurge on eBay and picked up two Jack Vance books, Araminta Station and Planet of Adventure and C J Cherryh's Forty Thousand In Gehenna - plus Michael Bishop's No Enemy But Time for my Kindle.

Oops !

It appears that scouring ebay late at night can be hazardous to the wallet, even if you've not had a drink in over 12 months ;)

Nicola Griffith - Slow River
Norman Spinrad - The Void Captain's Tale / Bug Jack Barron
Charles Stross - The Rhesus Chart
Theodore Sturgeon - The Dreaming Jewels
Ken MacLeod - The Stone Canal
Stephen Baxter - Ultima
Robert Reed - Marrow / Down The Bright Way
Patrick Tilley - Fade Out
Allen Steele - Orbital Decay

Time to sit back and wait for them all to arrive, and stay off eBay !

Havent read Star Light Star Bright for years, but recall it being an exceptional collection.

Havent read Star Light Star Bright for years, but recall it being an exceptional collection.

I'll second that. While not overly thrilled with No Enemy But Time and Down the Bright Way (seem to prefer Reed's short fiction), I also liked Planet of Adventure and 40,000 in Gehenna and especially Slow River, The Void Captain's Tale, Bug Jack Barron, The Dreaming Jewels, Orbital Decay, and Nerves (though the novella version is better - the novel will still work). Excellent hauls, IMO.

One of the consequences of my over-excited eBay splurging is that I've ended up with two copies of Norman Spinrad's Bug Jack Barron :D

If anyone would like a free copy send me a message with your address and I'll put it in the post - first come first served :)

I finally picked up Michael Moorcock's The Condition Of Muzak in a five book splurge which included:

Pat Cadigan - Patterns
Michael Moorcock - The Dancers At The End Of Time
Arthur C Clarke - The Deep Range
Jack McDevitt - A Talent For War

. . . and then discovered, due to my lack of Michael Moorcock knowledge, that The Condition Of Muzak is book 4 in a four book series, so tonight's mini splurge has been to pick up the first three :)

The Final Programme, A Cure For Cancer and The English Assassin.

Norman Spinrad's Bug Jack Barron is still available for free if anyone wants it.

I finally picked up Michael Moorcock's The Condition Of Muzak in a five book splurge which included:

Pat Cadigan - Patterns
Michael Moorcock - The Dancers At The End Of Time
Arthur C Clarke - The Deep Range
Jack McDevitt - A Talent For War

. . . and then discovered, due to my lack of Michael Moorcock knowledge, that The Condition Of Muzak is book 4 in a four book series, so tonight's mini splurge has been to pick up the first three :)

The Final Programme, A Cure For Cancer and The English Assassin.

Norman Spinrad's Bug Jack Barron is still available for free if anyone wants it.
Final Programme is the most accessible of the Cornelius Quartet. Good series.

Is your copy of Dancers At The End Of Time the whole trilogy?

Didnt realise there was a compendium book. Does it have the trilogy, or all 5 books?