Book Hauls!

You can read "The Spider of Guyana" here. (They also wrote "The Crab Spider" but I don't know if that's around.) Unfortunately, neither of those seem to be the right one. The only spider story in that volume (by title) is "The Black Spider" by Jeremias Gotthelf. That doesn't seem to have made it into public domain English but I could have missed it.
By some stroke of good luck I actually have "The Spider Of Guyana" here:

The longer the title and authors floated in my mind a vague image started to take shape. Read this book a few years ago for Halloween but don't remember too much about it other than a fuzzy recollection of a giant spider, and those two names really started to sound familiar. I may be wrong about the giant spider but I'll reread the story as soon as I can to help clear the mental mists.

Facsimiles of course, affordably priced at $7.99 each. Pages bear resemblance to photocopied newsprint but still readable except ads with small print more difficult. Since I'll never find the originals let alone afford them if I do this is the best I can manage. One thing though, small to some but irritating to me, is the Amazing for July doesn't have the table of contents. The other two have theirs but for some reason July's was left out and there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it. In addition to listing the stories and authors in the issue these old TOCs also list the next issues contents with brief descriptions of each item. Again, not the biggest problem in the world but it is part of the issue, why not just leave it in? Doesn't make sense.

That wd bug me too.

That June cover reminded me of this Classics Illustrated edition:

00.jpg

It's so long ago that I'm not certain I had that comic, but it's likely that I did, as one of my first exposures to science fiction.

Picked up We Were the Mulvaneys and Expensive People, both by Joyce Carol Oates.

In the last week or so I've had a mini-splurge on some Amazon ebooks for my Kindle, the most expensive being £1.99.

The Praxis - Walter John Williams
The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet - Becky Chambers
And Four To Go (Nero Wolfe short stories) - Rex Stout
Reversion - Amy Rogers
Ephialties - Gavin E Parker
Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat - Andrez Bergen
Extinction Reversed - J S Morin
All Systems Red - Martha Wells
The Book Of Phoenix - Nnedi Okorafor
Galápagos - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks to the office book swap, I picked up The King in Yellow, a collection of Lord Dunsany's stuff, and the Valencian chivalric epic Tirant Lo Blanc. Decent haul. Should probably put in some books for other people, gotta be bad karma taking and never giving, and lord knows I have plenty to get rid of...

Picked up a hardback of The Regulators by Richard Bachmann aka Stephen King. I read the four main Bachmann books years ago but didn't know about this one. The publishers were continuing the spoof as they refer to finding the MS among the deceased Bachmann's papers, and they have references to Stephen King on the jacket copy and 'other books by' page inside, but still make out Bachmann to be someone else.

Picked up a hardback of The Regulators by Richard Bachmann aka Stephen King. I read the four main Bachmann books years ago but didn't know about this one. The publishers were continuing the spoof as they refer to finding the MS among the deceased Bachmann's papers, and they have references to Stephen King on the jacket copy and 'other books by' page inside, but still make out Bachmann to be someone else.

King published that one and Desperation at the same time, one book mirroring the other. I haven't read them, but it sounded like an interesting idea. (Maybe someday he'll reissue them as one volume titled Resperation or Deregulators.)

Went a bit overboard this weekend, mainly at a Book Warehouse:
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters
Sister Mine by Nalo Hopkinson
Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler
The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
Day 4 by Sarah Lotz
View from the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman

I'll probably end up reading the Gaiman first, in bits and pieces.

Randy M.

Just happened to walk into Value Village on Memorial Day to discover someone who for whatever reason had to donate a major part of their heart and soul. Feel sorry for the poor guy but there was no way I was going to walk out without showing my gratitude. 99 cents apiece, and if you buy four you get a fifth free. Truly a Memorial Day to remember.

Okay, enough of this. Where's the bestseller rack?

Found this at a thrift store today for fifty cents:

Good quotes from good people. The top is by Boris Karloff, the bottom Vincent Starrett, with an endorsement on the inside by no less a personage than Christopher Morley: "...the most original and enchanting crime story of last year." Crime or horror? Don't know, doesn't matter. The "last year" is right, 1941. Hopes are high for this one. Probably going to be one of my 2017 Halloween reads (if not sooner).