Book Hauls!

Oh I should mention today I picked up a MMPB edn of...

Corvus - Paul Kearney *Book 2 in this entertaining military Fantasy series that began with The Ten Thousand. Kearney is one of my favourtie contemporary authors when it comes to Fantasy and in particular all things military.

Another package arrived in the mail; this time containing Charles L. Grant's final Oxrun book, The Black Carousel, which I had previously not even known existed....

Which, I believe, means I finally have all the Oxrun Station stories in one form or another....

Books i was forced to buy for "literary scholar paper writing" reason and for my modern novel class:

Critical Response to Dashiell Hammett by Christopher Metress
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (Vintage)

£50 for the Hammett critical book that i could have gotten for free if the uni library hadnt lost their copy recently really really hurts.....

Nipped into Waterstones on my way back from buying some lunch and I decided that I had to buy some new books; I've got a decent fantasy collection, so I thought I'd stick with SF this time.

I picked out a few on Play.com, coming to just over £20. However, the poor student in me wanted to go one better and see how many books I could find for £25 when I utilised the Internet. In the end, I found eleven books in decent condition on eBay, for £34 (yeah, I might have ignored my rules... but hey, eleven books at £3.09 each is better than three for £20).

The list:

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Seeds of Earth - Michael Colbey
Surface Detail - Iain M. Banks

Revelation Space series - Alastair Reynolds
(Revelation Space, Chasm City, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap, The Prefect)

---

As I said, my library is predominantly fantasy, with a few SF books here and there, like Herbert's Dune trilogies and most of Banks' Culture novels. With Surface Detail, I complete my Iain M. Banks collection (not just the Culture), the Revelation Space series will make decent companions for Pushing Ice, which I got over Christmas, and the other five books will hopefully turn into nice little collections themselves.

If I may be excused, I believe I have Snuff to pick up from reception.

Aloha From Hell - Richard Kadrey
Blood Line - Lynda la Plante
Snuff - Terry Pratchett
I Shall Wear Midnight - Terry Pratchett
Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman - Richard Bernheimer
Dreamsongs Vol 1 - George RR Martin
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Just bought Kraken by China Mieville. I have no idea what his stuff is like but it only cost me £2.99 from a book clearance shop in hardback!

His writing style might take a bit of getting used to (he knows many words and uses them all) but IMO his books are worth the concentration they require. I never speed-read a Mieville book. I enjoyed Kraken very much and it has some of the scariest book villains I've encountered in a while.

Not really buying too many books nowadays.

Area 7 by Matthew Reilly
Ghost Story by Peter Straub
The Monitors by Keith Laumer
Seahorse by Graham Petrie (completely unknown, but the cover is great and it looks suitably odd)
Rushing to Paradise by JG Ballard

Other than Area 7, these are all H/B editions.

Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks
The Hobbit - Tolkein
Big Planet - Jack Vance
Mission of Gravity - Hal Clement

. . . and I bought a tennis racquet.

Just a couple although I'm also getting the subterranean edn. of Barry Hughart's classic Chronicles of Number Ten Ox and Master Li and Murakami's latest and I think longest by a decent margin work to date IQ84.

Of Men and Monsters - William Tenn *Latest in the Sf masterwork series. Not a name familiar to me but this novel seems to be well regarded. Blurb: Giant, technologically superior aliens have conquered Earth, but humankind survives - even flourishes in a way. Men and women live, like mice, in burrows in the massive walls of the huge homes of the aliens, and scurry about under their feet, stealing from them. A complex social and religious order has evolved, with women preserving knowledge and working as healers, and men serving as warriors and thieves. For the aliens, men and women are just a nuisance, nothing more than vermin. Which, ironically, may just be humankind's strength and point the way forward.

Skylark - Dezso Kosztolanyi *Finally an English translation (NYRB edn) of an Hungarian classic from a leader of that country's literary traditions. Blurb: It is 1900, give or take a few years. The Vajkays—call them Mother and Father—live in Sárszeg, a dead-end burg in the provincial heart of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Father retired some years ago to devote his days to genealogical research and quaint questions of heraldry. Mother keeps house. Both are utterly enthralled with their daughter, Skylark. Unintelligent, unimaginative, unattractive, and unmarried, Skylark cooks and sews for her parents and anchors the unremitting tedium of their lives. Now Skylark is going away, for one week only, it’s true, but a week that yawns endlessly for her parents. What will they do? Before they know it, they are eating at restaurants, reconnecting with old friends, attending the theater. And this is just a prelude to Father’s night out at the Panther Club, about which the less said the better. Drunk, in the light of dawn Father surprises himself and Mother with his true, buried, unspeakable feelings about Skylark. Then, Skylark is back. Is there a world beyond the daily grind and life’s creeping disappointments? Kosztolányi’s crystalline prose, perfect comic timing, and profound human sympathy conjure up a tantalizing beauty that lies on the far side of the irredeemably ordinary. To that extent, Skylark is nothing less than a magical book.

Picked up the e-book Changes by Mercedes Lackey today. I have been enjoying stories in Valdemar for so many years I feel I live there :)

Just a couple although I'm also getting the subterranean edn. of Barry Hughart's classic Chronicles of Number Ten Ox and Master Li and Murakami's latest and I think longest by a decent margin work to date IQ84.

Of Men and Monsters - William Tenn *Latest in the Sf masterwork series. Not a name familiar to me but this novel seems to be well regarded. Blurb: Giant, technologically superior aliens have conquered Earth, but humankind survives - even flourishes in a way. Men and women live, like mice, in burrows in the massive walls of the huge homes of the aliens, and scurry about under their feet, stealing from them. A complex social and religious order has evolved, with women preserving knowledge and working as healers, and men serving as warriors and thieves. For the aliens, men and women are just a nuisance, nothing more than vermin. Which, ironically, may just be humankind's strength and point the way forward.

Skylark - Dezso Kosztolanyi *Finally an English translation (NYRB edn) of an Hungarian classic from a leader of that country's literary traditions. Blurb: It is 1900, give or take a few years. The Vajkays—call them Mother and Father—live in Sárszeg, a dead-end burg in the provincial heart of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Father retired some years ago to devote his days to genealogical research and quaint questions of heraldry. Mother keeps house. Both are utterly enthralled with their daughter, Skylark. Unintelligent, unimaginative, unattractive, and unmarried, Skylark cooks and sews for her parents and anchors the unremitting tedium of their lives. Now Skylark is going away, for one week only, it’s true, but a week that yawns endlessly for her parents. What will they do? Before they know it, they are eating at restaurants, reconnecting with old friends, attending the theater. And this is just a prelude to Father’s night out at the Panther Club, about which the less said the better. Drunk, in the light of dawn Father surprises himself and Mother with his true, buried, unspeakable feelings about Skylark. Then, Skylark is back. Is there a world beyond the daily grind and life’s creeping disappointments? Kosztolányi’s crystalline prose, perfect comic timing, and profound human sympathy conjure up a tantalizing beauty that lies on the far side of the irredeemably ordinary. To that extent, Skylark is nothing less than a magical book.

I read of Men and Monsters many years ago and all my memories are positive. I would say you are in for an enjoyable read.

I read of Men and Monsters many years ago and all my memories are positive. I would say you are in for an enjoyable read.
Thanks. The reviews I've seen of this book were pretty positive. I collect the SF Masterwork series, in fact I have the entire sert ot date (as well as fanatsy Masterwork). Finding out about new SFF names and their novels that generally are of a high quilaity is one of the reasons I collect this series.

A friend of mine put me on to this book some years ago, before the NYRB picked it up. It really is a fine short novel -- something I'll want to read for a second (third?) time.

The Wine Dark Sea by Robert Aickman -

Aickman's 'strange stories' (his preferred term for them) are a subtle exploration of psychological displacement and paranoia. His characters are ordinary people that are gradually drawn into the darker recesses of their own minds. First published in the USA in 1988 and in the UK in 1990 The Wine-Dark Sea contains eight stories that will leave the reader unsettled as the protagonists' fears and desires, at once illogical and terrifying, culminate in a disturbing yet enigmatic ending. For fans of the horror genre Robert Aickman is a must read. As Peter Straub notes in his introduction 'Aickman's originality was rooted in need - he had to write these stories, and that is why they are worth reading and rereading'. 'Superb tales of suspenseful unease . . . a contemporary master of the genre.'

Back in this thread again.

Gold - Isaac Asimoc
The Wanderer - Fritz Leiber
The Santaroga Barrier - Frank Herbert
Who Goes Here? - Bob Shaw
Nifft The Lean - Michael Shea
Weapons of Chaos - Robert E. Vardeman
The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit - Storm Constantine
The Year of The Comet - John Christopher