How long did it take you to finish A Game of Thrones?

Hello im new in this forum. Gotta repeat myself and say that A song of ice and fire really blew me away and im currently reading the third book "steel and snow". I read the first one pretty fastly in my mother tongue, maybe in five days. It was surprisingly easy to change from finnish (i read the first two books translated in finnish but only those are translated) to english. Even the place-names were translated but luckily they were pretty obvious so i didnt have a hard time figuring em out. It would have sucked if the names of the characters had been translated too but luckily not. Words just keep on going and i seem to have some hard time sticking in the topic...

Some of you mentioned that they like to stop in the middle of some a chapter to "savour" (ah what a great word) of the scene. I also like to do it. I find myself a pretty fast reader but i just like to stop and scroll a bit back and try to understand the meaning of some action better. Ok now im loosing the topic again but i must tell you this.

Spoilers from the second book:
I can't understand why Arya escaped from the Harrenhall in the second book. Roose Bolton was then in control of Harrenhall. He was a Robbs man ffs and Arya went and slaughtered a guard. And that guard was in the same side of Arya. That seemed to make no sense to me.

Now back from offtopic to offtopic. This Messageboard seems like a good place but im afraid of opening the threads as i fear of seeing some bad spoilers :x. Its hard to know to what you might suddendly find. It would be nice if someone could tell a few "safe topics" and of course it would help a newcomer if everyone just told when they are telling something that might contain spoilers.

Its obviously taking a little while until a finish the series. Its a bit hard to get those books in here but im trying my best and ordering them from book stores and from libraries :p. Too bad that the carriage of the books sometimes takes ages. I had to wait Steel and snow for two weeks :(. Maybe i should buy them all at once but im just a poor student. Well anyway thats about it hopefully someone finds it interesting to read my sometimes pretty chaotic text. Come on guys you could be reading George RR Martin instead of mine!

Riva said:
I can't understand why Arya escaped from the Harrenhall in the second book. Roose Bolton was then in control of Harrenhall. He was a Robbs man ffs and Arya went and slaughtered a guard. And that guard was in the same side of Arya. That seemed to make no sense to me.

Now back from offtopic to offtopic. This Messageboard seems like a good place but im afraid of opening the threads as i fear of seeing some bad spoilers :x. Its hard to know to what you might suddendly find. It would be nice if someone could tell a few "safe topics" and of course it would help a newcomer if everyone just told when they are telling something that might contain spoilers.

On your first point - I think Arya was just sick of being holed up more than anything else. She is a free spirit, and being confined to the castle and not the master (mistress?) of her own fate was getting to her. Plus, Roose is creepy, anyone would wnat to get away from Lord Leech, I reckon. And it turned out a good decision, otherwise she might be off to marry the ******* of Bolton...

On your second, most folks here are good at posting spoiler warnings on their posts if they're gonna reveal anything staggering. So watch out for the:

***************SPOILER*********************

or similar and steer clear.

Like most times when I get a really good book like GRRM I try to take a longish period of time to complete the book so that I can savour it more, so for GRRM this book 3 plus weeks.

As a policy I don't like to reread stories, so the first is often the last exeprience for me when reading a specific book.. :cool:

Don't like to re-read.... Good Lord, you're missing out. As Old Nan always said to Bran, "Old stories are like old friends, you have to revisit them every once in a while."

Riva said:

I dont think Arya felt safe around Bolton. I know that she considered telling him who she was, but reconsidered. Im not sure if there was anything specific that was said or done that made her decided not to or if it was just a feeling she had. I think the Brave Companions had something to do with her unease also.

Although her present situation may not be ideal, it probably turned out for the best given Bolton's later actions.

Yeah, of course she didnt like to be "a mouse". But i think a better way to handle things would have been if she had told Bolton who she really was. Maybe it wouldn't have worked but for me its hard to forgive her for killing the damn guard.

By the way whats the term that the sworn brothers of the night's watch use when they go to the nearby village to umm...use the services that prostitutes give. The other was mining? And the other was digging up hidden treasures or something. I just love those :p.

I don't remember how long it took, not long though. I didn't get into game of thrones straight away though and the good thing about that was once I finished Game of Thrones I then had the next three to read in quick succession and had to wait a little bit for the fifth one. Now I am like everyone else "waiting".

I don't remember how long it took, not long though. I didn't get into game of thrones straight away though and the good thing about that was once I finished Game of Thrones I then had the next three to read in quick succession and had to wait a little bit for the fifth one. Now I am like everyone else "waiting".

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on winning the first annumal Thoros of Myr Award for bringing a very very dead thread to life :)

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on winning the first annumal Thoros of Myr Award for bringing a very very dead thread to life :)

How long have you been sitting on that Thoros of Myr idea? :)

Brilliant.

For the record, I still haven't "finished" A Game of Thrones. I've read the books through, but am far from finished.

Thank You Imp. I humbly accept this prestigious award. I am quite overcome with emotion at the moment and can't think of anything else to say... Words fail me.

Thank You Imp. I humbly accept this prestigious award. I am quite overcome with emotion at the moment and can't think of anything else to say... Words fail me.

HA :D

You forgot to thank your family, the members of the academy, etc :)

Again, welcome.

Having recovered from the shock of winning this award Imp I would like to thank the family who helped make it all possiBle by probably giving me the book vouchers that allowed me to buy the books and the time to read them.

But if I think back I should also thank members of this forum who used to write about Series, as I mentioned I did not get into the series at the outset but rather I think four books in, which meant I didn't have to wait years and years. But I think I caved in to everyone's comments on it that I thought I should get on board...... Mmmm this have given me an idea for a thread. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the welcome, I guess it's more of a welcome back, I have been a member since 2006 but have been away for a year or so. Just caught up with life. It's nice to be back and see the familiar faces and a few new ones.

Having recovered from the shock of winning this award Imp I would like to thank the family who helped make it all possiBle by probably giving me the book vouchers that allowed me to buy the books and the time to read them.

But if I think back I should also thank members of this forum who used to write about Series, as I mentioned I did not get into the series at the outset but rather I think four books in, which meant I didn't have to wait years and years. But I think I caved in to everyone's comments on it that I thought I should get on board...... Mmmm this have given me an idea for a thread. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the welcome, I guess it's more of a welcome back, I have been a member since 2006 but have been away for a year or so. Just caught up with life. It's nice to be back and see the familiar faces and a few new ones.

Well played :)

and yes, welcome back. I inadvertantly looked at your blog post count and thought it was your ACTUAL post count :D

Tanga makes me feel competitive. Let's all dig in and find the best resurrected thread!

For the record, I still haven't "finished" A Game of Thrones. I've read the books through, but am far from finished.

I find this to be very true.

Some spoilers ahead!

Having been an avid reader of fantasy when I was younger (12-18 were my most intense book-devouring years), this was the first fantasy series I picked up since reading His Dark Materials some 10 years ago. I'd know about it, peripherally, because fantasy reading friends had been going on about it. Then, when HBO announced the TV-series I bought the first four book for my SO and myself (I was thinking it was a good idea to read it first). He started reading aGoT and didn't quite manage to finish it before the series started. I started reading the first book about 3 episodes in to the HBO series - which was extremely confusing - and then raced through it in a couple of weeks (I am normally a faster reader, but I was extremely busy at university). I interrupted my SOs reading of aCoK so that I could read ahead at my own pace without having to wait for him.

I admit I skimmed quite a bit of aFfC. I can't give an honest estimate of the time it took me to read the whole five books, but I know I should have taken longer. When I had bought and finished aDwD I was left all confused and upset about what happened to Jon at the end, so I started googling around. That's when I came across various forums and the R+L=J theory which totally blew my mind. I started re-reading certain chapters and eventually I just decided to re-read the whole series. That project has been going on for a few months now, and I'm only just starting on aFfC again. This time I WILL read it carefully.

Like you said, Tywin, I don't think one is ever quite finished with this series. Not since my most intense LotR-delving days have I been thinking this much about a book.

I'll just take this opportunity to commend you guys on a great ASOIAF forum. I've tried a few by now (lurking) but this is the first time I've felt like registering and posting myself. A couple of boards have been extremely elitist - misspell Jaime as Jamie and you're out! I'm not the most active poster, but I appreciate reading all the discussions here.

I started around Christmas last year, I had them finished by mid-Feb.

I've been planning on re-reading them almost since I finished my first read though. I shall probably do so over the summer.