Carol Berg

rune

rune
Can anyone pass on any details about this authors books?
I've read Transformation, which I thought was a fair read. But I'm in two minds if to continue reading her books.

I'm sure that either dwndrgn or littlemissatitude have read that entire trilogy - I myself stoped after the second book, but that was mostly a matter of taste. The second book was as richly characterised and well plotted as the first, as a matter of fact.

I think dwndrgn has read the trilogy. I'm actually reading "Revelation" right now. It's one of those things where I bought the book last November while I was at Loscon but I'm just getting around to reading it now - it's one of the few books that managed to make the move with me earlier this year. So far, I'm really liking it. I liked "Transformation" a lot when we read it for book club, and this one is just as good, at least so far.

I've read all that she has published so far and have enjoyed them all, though the second series isn't as good as the first (but I've only read the first of that one). We did a book club discussion on Transformation, and the author consented to answer our questions about it and writing as well. http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1447
http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1497
You should check those out. She has a website if you want to check out the other stuff, I believe it is http://www.carolberg.com
if not, it is something close - a Google of her name should get it.

thanks for the links. I'd read the comments about Transformation, and though agree with some of them it didnt help me decide on if I want to continue with reading the series.

I find sometimes getting a readers perspective on a book is helpful. And as I've only read one of this authors books I dont really have a firm oppinion on her if I like her stuff or not.
I'll probably try and get another of her books from my library to be on the safe side.

I have this problem with a few authors. I've tried one book and found them fair reads but left feeling unsure if I really enjoyed their stories. :confused:

Personally, while I enjoyed the second book, Revelation, I wasn't inspired enough to carry on to the third book. It wasn't bad at all - quite good,really - but it didn't compel me enough. I'd suggest you hold out for a library copy and see how you like it.

knivesout said:
Personally, while I enjoyed the second book, Revelation, I wasn't inspired enough to carry on to the third book. It wasn't bad at all - quite good,really - but it didn't compel me enough. I'd suggest you hold out for a library copy and see how you like it.

Yep, I felt the same way about the first book. I'll probably get it from my library, or perhaps one of her others and see how I feel then.
All these difficult decisions :eek:
I've got lots of other books I really want to get and I'm fretting over a few others that I can't make my mind up about - what am I like!

Reading a review of Guardians Of The Keep yesterday. The storyline sounds well done, however it does mention that there is too much violence.

Unfortunately, I have not read any of her books before, so cannot compare.
Is this her usual style of writing?
It is just that I am really not keen on the violence aspect in books.

Transformation was OK, not overly violent, but also not overly engaging either.

Thanks for the info rune. Doesn't sound very promising, so don't think I shall be purchasing this one.:(

Rosemary said:
Thanks for the info rune. Doesn't sound very promising, so don't think I shall be purchasing this one.:(

I got it through my library. I try and do that when I'm not sure about a book/author or if I think it will be an OK read but not something I'd keep :)

Well, if I find the time, I might also check my library for a copy.