Colleen McCullough

Blue Mythril

Stronger than steel...
I noticed in the "favourite part of the Roman Empire" thread that a brief conversation about Colleen McCullough started but never really got going. Has anyone else out there read any of her works? I've only recently started on her books (my Mum's been an avid fan for years) and I'm enjoying them so far... though there's so many! As a read they're great, I could argue some historical points if I wanted to be pedantic, but I'd rather just enjoy the read :)
So, any literary (or historic) opinions out there?

Probably this thread belongs in the brand-new Historical Fiction sub-forum?

The only thing I've read by McCullough was The Thorn Birds, a long time ago. Now that she's writing stories set in earlier eras, I really should give her another try. (Making note of this.)

Done and done :) At the time I started this thread I didn't realise there was a historical fiction board.

She started this series, I think its called Masters of Rome or something similar, in 1990 with First Man in Rome. I havn't got much further yet, but will soon start on the others when I finish my exams next Sat!!

The best of his novels is "The Thorn Birds". I'm sure many of you saw the movie at least with Richard Chamberlain and Amanda Donohoe. If you didn't read the book or see the movie, I'll say it's a must read.

Those who loved this novel will also appreciate "Touch", another love story and family saga on the Australian land. Gold mines, love, betrayal, ambition to win, empire to build, etc.

Also read "Tim". I read it long time ago, but I don't remember the story anymore.

I've read the entire Masters of Rome series and enjoyed it immensely. These 6 books are very long and once you're in, it's very hard to put them down.. a very interesting view of what happened during the last decades of the Republic, even though sometimes you don't agree with some of the portrayals of the historical characters.

Have you bought all of the books, nixie?

I quite enjoyed her earlier works, Thornbird etc. She knew how to write an Australian story, of life in the Outback and the Australian landscape.

However I must admit that I didn't even like the first book of Masters of Rome. Just not my type of reading.

I've read the first three in the series and loved them. Must get the others out of the library.

I've got all six books in her "Masters of Rome" series, but haven't started reading them yet. Those that I've spoken to that have read the entire series say that the first book, "The First Man in Rome", is probably the dryest of all six, and the second "The Grass Crown", is probably the weakest.

The consensus seems to be that "Caesar's Women", and "Caesar" are the best of the lot, with "Caesar" tending to edge the other out by a hair. "Caesar" is definately the most difficult one to find used, and tends to disappear quite quickly when the stores that sell new books gets it in stock.

The people who recommended the series to me are very well versed in Roman history, and according to them, the series is very well researched and gives very good insight into the history of Ancient Rome.

I've read the Masters of Rome series and thoroughly enjoyed it, I felt as though I were there and knew the characters personally.

I couldn't get into First Man in Rome. I got about 400 pages in, thinking I'd stick it out to the end, before I realized I was only halfway through! I don't know why I didn't like it, as it seemed right up my alley, and I was excited to start a whole series on ancient Rome! But I guess I only like my Roman history Falco style ... :)

I know this thread hasn't been used for a while, but I just purchased Caesar from a local book warehouse, and wasn't aware it was part of a series.
Does anyone know if it could be read as a standalone? Thanks.
Lena.

I can honestly say I have only ever read The Thorn Birds, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I don't know why I havn't read more of her and now that you have brought my attention to her again, I may go chase up a few. Are there any that I should avoid?

I thought this was a great series. Sulla has to be one of best characters to be written about in history. I loved the way she brought the Senate debates to life and she has a great way of using humour in the books. The last book was heart-rending in the way she depicted the end of the Republic.

One thing, I believe she has being persuaded to write another book about Anthony and Octavian.

I hope you're right about the seventh book. The first six were awesome. The only problem I have is that at the pace I read, I'd better start now if I wanna be ready for it.