Went to the local market, and went mad...

The Master™

Science fiction fantasy
Picked up 7 new (new to me, but used and abused by the citizens of Leeds) books...

Anyone read these:

The Horse Lord by Peter Morwood
Transit to Scorpio by Alan Burt Akers
Menace Under Marswood by Sterling E Lanier
Seeking the Mythical Figure by Trevor Hoyle
The Wolf of Winter by Paula Volsky
Dreamside by Graham Joyce
The Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip

Comments appreciated... :D

I have only read 2 of those (and familair with Joyce) -

Dreamside by Graham Joyce

I Have not read this particular novel by Joyce, but I have read my share of Joyces' works and can't truthfuly admit he has ever written anything that isn't stellar and just oozes with quality. One of the top, and consistent writers in the field.

The Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip

I'm going to go ahead and say this; if not including the Silmarillion and the wonderful History of Middle Earth additions, and giving all due respect to Tolkien's worldbuilding feat, this is the best completed epic fantasy series, I think ever written (that I have read, which isn't a small amount by any means).

I usually don't admire Mckillip's prose in her other works but it all fell into place with Riddlemaster, and she is whether I enjoyed the rest of her work not, one of the great stylists in the history of the genre, prose why. This is not only a beautifully written series, the plot/story line is excellent, has possibly 2 of the all-tiem great characters in epic fantasy in Deth, and Morgan.

This is an absolute masterpiece of epic fantasy, and the last compelted superior example of an epic fantasy written IMHO.

The Wolf of Winter by Paula Volsky

I have mixed feelings, tons of promise, good character studies, but simply bottomed out; and rather disappointingly I might add.

I've been trying to find a used copy of McKillip's Riddlemaster forever. I found the second (or third?) book but haven't yet found #1. I've heard lots of good stuff about it so you probably will enjoy it. Not familiar with the others.

Back