Ashok K Banker

SEF

Prince of Ayodhya by Ashok K Banker, book 1 of the The Ramayana. It is my understanding this is the first epic fantasy written by an Indian writer, and it is a epic fantasy re-telling of the classic Indian tale - The Ramayana.

Banker's The Ramayana

1. Prince of Ayodhya (*available now)

2. Siege of Mithila (*available July 30th, Time Warner Books UK)

3. Demons of Chitrakut (*available July 30th, Time Warner Books UK)

4. Armies of Hanuman (*available now through a different publisher, Orbit)

The above information is provided through Amazon.com for American readers. But Amazon Canada and UK may already have them on hand.

So far, I love the mystery and intrigue set within the backdrop of an authentic classic tale despite difficulties with some of the language used thereof. Has anyone else read this book? Opinions?

I've read a few chapters, and frankly, it's not for me. I dislike Banker's style - he's taken the Ramayana and is playing out in such a paint-by-numbers Big Fat Fantasy style, one might almost imagine that the original epic was created by some Wheel Of Time fan.

He lost me right in chapter 1, where it seemed he was shooting for a tense, yet epic style, and then suddenly dropped a line about Rama's sweat-covered 'abs'. 'Abs' is slang for abdomen - and a very poor vocabulary choice given the style being used. Sorry, that did it for me.

There are many far better renditions of the Ramayana for you to read, please track them down. Here's one I can vouch for: The Ramayana : A Modern Retelling of the Great Indian Epic. A google search will locate copies for sale at various handy stores.

There's also a version of the Ramayana by the late RK Narayan, arguably one of India's best modern writers, published by Penguin books. You can't go too wrong with that either.

Banker's stuff strikes me as what someone like Jeffrey Archer or Tom Clancy would do, were they to re-write, say, the New Testament. Just my 2c.

Thanks for the opinion and suggestions. Awesome. I am going to finish the book and give my opinion afterwards, too far into the book to stop now and it has honestly grabbed and immersed me in the story.

Yes, I hate anachronisms in books such as these, I encountered plenty in Jecks' first novel which I finished in quick time. Elements and certain weaknesses have made me reluctant to start the next one. Another case of a great idea and the writer blowing it. And I gave the dude a rec in an Erikson thread, oh woe is me.

knivesout said:
Who's Jecks? :)

Michael Jecks writes a series of historical mysteries taking place in the 14th century, featuring a Knights Templar (sir Baldwin) and a local Bailiff (Simon Puttock).

SEF said:
Thanks for the opinion and suggestions. Awesome. I am going to finish the book and give my opinion afterwards, too far into the book to stop now and it has honestly grabbed and immersed me in the story.

Yes, I hate anachronisms in books such as these, I encountered plenty in Jecks' first novel which I finished in quick time. Elements and certain weaknesses have made me reluctant to start the next one. Another case of a great idea and the writer blowing it. And I gave the dude a rec in an Erikson thread, oh woe is me.
Duly noted re: Jeck's, most timely.... ;)

knivesout said:
I've read a few chapters, and frankly, it's not for me. I dislike Banker's style - he's taken the Ramayana and is playing out in such a paint-by-numbers Big Fat Fantasy style, one might almost imagine that the original epic was created by some Wheel Of Time fan.

He lost me right in chapter 1, where it seemed he was shooting for a tense, yet epic style, and then suddenly dropped a line about Rama's sweat-covered 'abs'. 'Abs' is slang for abdomen - and a very poor vocabulary choice given the style being used. Sorry, that did it for me.

This is a common complaint by people who only read the first few chapters. I perservered, as did many others I know, and frankly, it's a terrific read.

In fact, the word 'abs' is actually on the first page itself and I've read somewhere that Banker used it deliberately to signal his departure from old-fashioned traditional cliche notions of how Indian mythology should be written and read. It's very much a '21st century retelling' and as such, works brilliantly. But it's also true that while the series is hugely popular now with Indians worldwide, most Americans, and especially fantasy fans, haven't taken to it, because they can't quite figure out how to deal with the style.

It's sort of like, say, Christopher Moore's work, where he takes off on so many classic sources and styles, and we accept it because we're familiar with the original works. In Banker's case, if you're familiar with Indian mythology and the Ramayana in particular, his retelling becomes one heck of an enjoyable ride.

Having said that, though, a lot of people who've come late to the series after botched first attempts now admit that though Banker's is the first Ramayana they've ever read, it's the only reason they've actually read this ancient tale.

As someone else put it, it's a 'remix' rather than a dry, academic, literary version. Sure, it's popular fiction, so what's wrong with that? There are plenty of academic retellings like the ones you pointed out? Me. I'm all for a series that isn't afraid to mix styles and flaunt the mixing so outrageously. If you keep reading - I've just put down the fourth book, Armies of Hanuman - you might find it's the best fantasy series you've read for a while. It's an acquired taste, but sweeter for being so different and innovative, mixing Sanskrit words and modernisms so liberally.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a Banker fan. :~)

I'm going to start reading Banker's work (for better or worse I have no opinion yet), as I will be conducting with Banker afterwards.

I have heard some good, and some real critical, I'm anxious to find out for myself:)

I'd hardly call RK Narayan's retelling of the Ramyana a dry academic exercise. But fine, someone needs to rewrite the story for the Dan Brown generation I guess. Just don't expect me to persevere with a multi-volume Jordanesque milking of a story I already know anyhow.

Fair enough, we all read what we want to read after all. But just so we're clear, Jordan's Wheel of Time concept was based on the Hindu samay-chakra (wheel of time, literally translated), and was one of several examples of how western fantasy in fact borrowed liberally from Asian myth and culture, and not the other way around.

To accuse Banker of writing a "Jordanesque" book is a bit anachronistic. The Ramayana's overtly fantasy elements predate Jordan (or Tolkien for that matter and the whole of the western fantasy genre) by several thousands of years.

Banker didn't invent fantasy, but neither did Jordan or Tolkien. And Banker is quite clear he doesn't write for the Dan Brown generation - interestingly, he makes his dislike of Da Vinci Code and that genre of books quite clear - he's writing for Indian readers who are seeking a retelling of the Ramayana that is told by a modern-thinking Indian for other modern-thinking Indians. This is the reason why Banker's Ramayana has been cancelled in the USA, because he refused to alter names and places and characterisations to fit into the more commercial "Jordanesque" genre. Banker actually advises non-Indian readers that they may not be able to enjoy the books as thoroughly as Indian readers, not for want of anything else, but simply a lack of familiarity with the basic plot and style of the original Sanskrit Ramayana.

His work is like a jazz rendition of a classical tune. It's wierd at first, even startlingly anachronistic. But that's deliberately done, and it takes a certain sensibility to appreciate it. Just as it takes a certain 'ear' to appreciate jazz, while the more ubiquitous 'Jordanesque' trash out there is as easy to follow as 'pop'.

By all means, don't read Banker. I can't stand Tolkien personally - he's inconsistent in style, utterly boring at times, and has very little to offer by way of originality. As for Jordan and Brooks and the rest, they're hardly worth talking about! Give me a new George R. R. Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay, Robin Hobb or even Jacqueline Carey's new series, any day. Even Tad Williams is good, but not everything he's done, unfortunately.

In short, there's a huge pile of trash out there in US bookstores. It's a relief to have something different to look at, even if it's an Indian mythological reinventer who can't write as well as the current Pulitzer winner.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DeepThought Book Discussion 4