Dune and science fiction

It's a prologue to Dune (as stated in the french edition), Lewis Orne and fellow psy talents are first experiment in a field which will lead to Guild Navigators. Lewis' mother and sisters are formind a women society and encouraging careful breeding. Ring a bell ? Beside compare how Lewis Orne's mother act with his fater, and compare it to Miles Teg's mother and Lady Fenring, or any Bene Gesserit in Dune. The pattern are there, not yet refined but still there.

Aah! I see a small space in the murky waters. Everything has just become a little clearer :)

Frank Herbert created something amazing with the Dune series; truly one of the finest works of imaginative fiction ever written, even though they were very variable in quality. Chapterhouse, for instance, I found almost unreadable, and God Emperor I felt was little more than a gospel for Dune followers. Nontheless, even Herbert at his worst was one of the most original writers of his age.

It seems I have found the right place for some stimulating Dune discussions. I can't express how happy I am to have found this site.

Leto, it's been about three or four years since I have read Heretics or Chapterhouse. Maybe you can help me out. Where is Murbella's memories of the Honrored Matres origins disclosed? I would love to refresh my memory. Thank you in advance.

Chapterhouse, last third of the book. She access to Reverend status to share Odrade memory, and in the end knowing where she comes from fuse the Bene Gesserit and the Honored Matres order.

I'm a freak, I read Dune series at least once every 2 years.

Leto said:
I'm a freak, I read Dune series at least once every 2 years.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a Dune freak, but the original novel is one of my most reread books. It's something I seem to be able to glean new things from each time: hidden plot layers, motivations, aspects to certain characters that I'd never noticed before. It truly is an incredibly crafted book that can be read on so many levels.

Hands down the most re-read books in my house, but as 1- although it's great and I see something new in it, I don't consider it as an Holy book to live by, just a very good sci-fi one and 2- I read many other authors than Frank Herbert, I don't care being a freak.

Let's hear it for the freaks! I read the original Dune once a year and I have read GEoD four times. I have read the entire series only twice but... I think it is time I read it again as it seems there are a few details I have forgotten or missed the first and second times around.

Leto, thanks for your help.

Every two or three years I re-read the whole series. If that makes me a freak then so be it:)

I think the reason why I keep going back is because it's such a rich universe of ideas that there is always something more to glean from Herbert's words.

You mention Odrede and other her memories Leto.

Did you know that they recently found that many of the various neurological centers within the brain actualy possess histones that depending on how the impulses of the brain function/output works with the mechanics of it all (directed by our thoughts to some extent) actualy interact directly and may be able to possibly even change independent and isolated portions of DNA specific to those centers. This DNA is actualy set aside upon generation and seperated from the rest of the DNA chain and is specific to the neural center you look at.

You receive your DNA from your ancestors - parents.

Where does 'real' memory get stored?

Why do some people carry such deep control over supposedly involentary functions? And what about spontanious disease remission, or sudden changes in physical capacity that defy explanation?

What about temporal indeterminism and the real Heizzenburg effect in the non-linear organization of events in our world called quantum mechanics all clearly outlined in modern science coupled with the awareness of the very real limitations of linear thinking detrimentaly and tyranicaly abused when applied to rediculous assumption beyond its minimal application?

What happens when the knowhow of building is obtained, bridges then erected, and crossed freely?

It's just a book. And written decades ago... Not the holy Bible.

I'm a great fan of Dune, but even in my very limited reading of science fiction, there are two novels (Dan Simmons' Ilium and Franz Kafka's The Trial) which surpass Dune, and in the whole of speculative fiction, I've read about 30 which I consider superior. It's a great science fiction novel, no doubt, but it doesn't come close to being the most imaginative in the genre.

I am new to this site so I may have missed it but are there any Dune fans out there? In my opinion Dune is the single most imaginative and compelling work ever conceived. I was just wondering what everyone else thought?
Agreed.

Frank Herbert created something amazing with the Dune series; truly one of the finest works of imaginative fiction ever written, even though they were very variable in quality. Chapterhouse, for instance, I found almost unreadable, and God Emperor I felt was little more than a gospel for Dune followers. Nontheless, even Herbert at his worst was one of the most original writers of his age.
I actually enjoyed God Emperor more than any of them save the original. But I admit that I am something of a fanatic.

Went downhill during "Children"...

Dune 1-Good, but overly complex. I put it down and picked it up again several times before I finished it. On a scale of 1 to 5, 4.

Dune Messiah: Top twenty of all the books I have ever read. More focused and coherent than the first novel. 5 out of 5.

Children of Dune: The ending ruins the interesting setup made at the start of the novel. Reminded me of the feeling I had after watching The Phantom Menace: so much potential, ruined... 1 out of 5

God Emperor: Slightly better than Children of Dune, but Leto II's endless philosophical ranting got on my nerves after a while, especially since you have to listen to his drivel in the excerpts before the chapter AND within the chapters themselves. It was like listening to a four thousand year old senile grandpa. He is not nearly as good a character as his father, Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides was, and fails to fill the void left by his absence. 2 out of 5.

Thinking of reading "Heretics" and "Chapterhouse", but if they are catastrophes like "children" or absolute bores like "god emperor", i might not bother. "Dune" and "Messiah" are definitely keepers, though.

I liked the first three, though for me Dune Messiah was just a bridge of sorts for Children of Dune. I've read God Emperor and though it was quite good, I didn't like it as much as Dune. I haven't read the others yet, but personally I think the story began to spread itself too thin beyond God Emperor.

The Dune universe was created by a highly imaginative mind and filled with many interesting stories and concepts.

However, it isn't perfect.

Out of curiosity, sarakoth, what didn't you like about the Dune universe? Are you speaking of Frank Herbert's original canon, or including the Anderson/Herbert add-ons?