Erikson's Gardens of the Moon (Book Club)

I just finished book 1 in Gardens of the Moon. I'm trying to do this without spoiling much. Very unique world, I love the Deathgate and the gods. The characters are very weak but I was told they get better. Tattersail and Whiskeyjack look like two characters that could turn into very intersting ones.

This has to got to be the fastest moving story I have read ever. The genius in it is that he seems to spend just enough time explaining the scene and has happen in one page what someone like Robert Jordan would spend a whole chapter on. Most epic fantasy writers find a need to explain every little thing in every little scene. Steven just explains what is important. Not that this is always a good thing. He seems to leave little room for character development and I hope in the other 6 books, he puts enough character development.

Sabriel is spectacular! Great read, engaging story, love story, extreme suspense, sexual content ;), and much more! Be sure to explore the Abhorsen series!

Novocaine said:
Sabriel is spectacular! Great read, engaging story, love story, extreme suspense, sexual content ;), and much more! Be sure to explore the Abhorsen series!

Novocaine - the Abhorsen series is Garth Nix. This discussion is specifically about Erikson's Gardens of the Moon.

Monkeydude - as far as pacing is concerned, I found (and am still finding as I haven't finished it yet) that the book may not be as large as say the Jordan books (since you used that comparison, I'll follow along on your coattail :) ) that the story is so dense and meaty that it takes me some time to absorb it all. I suppose that all goes down to what we're used to reading. Erikson packs so much in so few pages that I have to pause to ensure I'm understanding who's doing what for whom and for what reason. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed while reading.

I agree that character development could use a bit of rounding out. I'm very interested in the two you mentioned as well as Captain Paran.

As I said, I'm not finished yet so your pardon if this gets explained later on...I'm really confused about the ancient races and what happened before that is effecting what is happening now. I don't understand how some of the races are part of the world and some aren't and some were created and others have been out of existence for so long many people don't know them...hopefully I'll be less confused the farther I get along.

I just read all this and realized that you might get the idea that I'm not liking this book. Not true. I am enjoying it very much even though it is taking me a while to get through it.

It's been a couple of years since I read this book, but I always keep notes on books in my database so after reminding myself what my initial feelings were, I can add a comment :)

I found some of the characters more interesting than others. The Tattersail storyline I felt was the most interesting. I found the the God character's didnt engage me enough and actually (for me) added a bit too much confusion.

There are (again for me) too many storylines running through this book and the constant jumping from one to the other did annoy me.

Despite the fact I decided not to continue reading this series after trying to start the next book and finding it focused on yet more characters. I will say that Erikson does use magic well. I think he has some good ideas for his characters, and if he hadnt so many I would have really enjoyed this book.
I think he has a very good imagination, and his writing style is easy to read (very good graphical fighing scenes too :D )

Personally I think he is a good author and it's a shame I find his plots too confusing.

I found that this book reads like the second in a series, it assumes that the reader has a familiarity with the background and history of the world.
On reading about the background of the world I understand why, but initially it seemed to me that aspects of the novel were missing, or the first three chapers letf out.

That said, the technique does seem to work quite well if you allow it to, and you suddenly find yourself knee deep in the tattered remains of a world where humanity is deperately trying to make sense of battles which are motivated by concerns far older than they appear.

The ancient races all add a flavour to the book that screams 'wildcard' even the more stoic of the races is fairly unpredictable and in later books when you discover other races you begin to get the flavour of each.
Compared to humanity they are vry simply ancient and terrible, and I love that kind of writing.

Admittedly the writing is a bit choppy; which is indicative of a first novel in a series, however all in all I think this is a wonderful introduction for 2 reasons.

1. May have pointed out the opin noted above "feeling like the second book in a series", Say flip this around, awhat we have is an author who gave us a first installment with few strings attached. Yes of course there are some elements introduced "to be coninued" however there were some satisfying conclusions that gave teh reader an oppourtunity to nor only enjoy a introduction to a new series, but gave them a choice not to purchsse the next, but still giving that reader a what is essentially a a respectable story line in one novel.

2. This was one the firs series/boosk in a long tiem that introduced a high magic/created world that didn't compeltely focus on kids under 12, that I enjoyed.

I have been avoiding high magic series for awhile (one of the great things about Martin's series (thus far) and recent works by Lois Mcmaster Bujold). The existence and more apt the careless use of magic in the majority of series to easily ties up loose ends in plot, and has become ultimately a tool for sub-par authors to hide their flaws or shortcomings.

Erikson sues a great deal of magic, a great deal of gods, and is able to stll write a series that has some emotional grit, and reality to make it in to seem like a Saturday morning cartoon (do they still have those). Finally a epic series with some classic sword/sorcery fantasy elements that was released having peopel older then the age of 6 in mind. Erikson is offerign something new yet at the same taking it back to old school high magic and pantheon without feeling the need to dumb it down to the market that has been following Terry Brooks unfortuante lead (for example Robert Newcomb, Christopher Paoulini, David Eddings and other mindless reads).

I don't put Erikson on the same level as a writer as Martin or Bakker (concerning writers of epic fantasy), bu tI give much credit and he deserves to be mentioned with them for the pure fun of his series.

I liek teh characters his cast has something to offer to a wide range of tastes; if you are interested in what I think is a rather ridiiculous "cool factor" many peopel go buy, there is the undeniable Anomander Rake; for thsoe who want more thoguhfulness in characters tere is Krupp. There is a wide variety in between, and although tehre is somethign lacking in regards to overall chaarcterization (missing out on the insight that could ahve broguht forth when Paran went home) it's not awfu lfor a first novel in a series. Personaly I found Krupp and Quickben to me favorite characters in this particular novel (later on Duiker)

For more specifics. please read my review of Gardens of the Moon [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/126[/url]]HERE and discuss them here, if any one agrees/disagrees:)

Just about finished with Gardens of the Moon; only a few more pages to go.

In reading the above opinions I find myself agreeing with most everything that has been said already and do not see anything I overtly disagree with.

I am really enjoying the novel and will certainly move on to the next in the series. Some of the scenes are wonderfully imaginative. The battle at Pale really stands out in my mind. Having a large cast of characters makes me feel like Im watching a ensemble cast in a large fantasy production. So many characters divides the book up into managable sections for someone who has only brief moments of time, like myself, to sit and read.

Just have a couple of concerns so far.
The overall structure could have used some tightening. Trying hard to not give anything away here.....but there was a sequence involving Sorry and the Phoenix Inn that struggled to be sophomoric in the style in which it was presented. There are other examples of this also where I read a paragraph and said to myself "Did an editor even read this?".
There were also a few internal inconsistencies I noticed here and there.

Others have mentioned the 2d quality of the characters and I found this somewhat trying at times also. I really enjoy getting into one or two characters and seeing what makes them tick. This doesnt concern me a great deal as I am sure I will learn more as I read further. I look upon it as something to look forward to and is far better than being told everything up front. There were however, scenes in which characters went from emotions of hate and fear to "bellowing with laughter" without transition. A bit more of an eye for human nature would go a long way, but again I am just reading this for enjoyment and realize this isnt a Booker Prize nominee.

All the gods and superpowers running around worries me. I am afraid that the temptation for "deus ex machina" resolutions will be far to great to overcome.

I wrote a lot more negative than positive and that is a shame. That is due to the fact that I am concerned with giving away anything to someone who hasnt finished it, or may be reading these posts to determine whether or not to start the series. Thanks to a post in another thread I already know of something that will occur later that I wish I didnt know. :mad:

I definately recommend the book! Let that be clear. He has a great imagination and has crafted some truly memorable scenes. The history of this land is rich and intriguing. The number of characters no doubt insures that you will find a few to relate to in one way or the other, including some wonderful and strong female "leads".

I would be curious to know if anyone pictures any famous actors or actresses as any of the characters? ? ?

Gardens of the Moon is an large, meaty book that manages to trick you into thinking that a lot is happening, when nothing much is. This book could have ran at four hundred pages, easily. And what some reviewers have described as gritty realism came across to me as poorly-explored and poorly-described. It's an entertaining popcorn read, but nothing really stood-out in my mind except for maybe one scene with the Adjunct and the hunting of Crokus by the magical ninja.

It left me feeling hollow. He should have taken his time. Like I said, a book of this length can't really justify such a lack of sense of place. Also, most of the ideas were hackneyed, and I felt like I was watching one of those poorly-done Anime epics. It lacked vhim and tried to make-up for this with pacing. It also used too many hackneyed concepts and a pointlessly-annoying magic system.

That said, a worthwhile read, and a few of the things i've described as flaws helped to rob it of that painfully-pretentious, cloying atmosphere so much fantasy has. If I was using stars I'd give it three out of five - I liked the Claw and the ravens.

I can see why a lot of people would love it.