Jules Verne - YA?

phileas fogg

Science fiction fantasy
Did Jules Verne write YA?

I know most people associate him with science fiction but I think he actually wrote YA.

If you compare him with Frank Herbert for instance I think he's writing something much looser than science fiction.

That isn't a criticism. It may actually be why I like him. Twenty Thousand Leagues is his most complex but my preference is Around the World.

My favorite director, Hideaki Anno adapted the former.

I like to think Jules Verne, and others from that period wrote in a style that was more universal, able to be appreciated by a larger audience. Translations of works can also create different versions. Before 1962 most of 20,000 Leagues translations were considerably different from the original. Supposedly the latest great attempt to make a perfect text translation was in 1998.

I wouldn't really pigeonhole Vern into a specific age demographic - a lot of his work is perfectly enjoyable to a very wide breadth of age ranges without seeming to be specifically aimed at any one of them.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Around the world in 80 Days
Journey to the Center of the Earth

An amazing writer !

In 1989 a decent of Verne fund in safe and unpublished 1863 work by Verne which was rejected by his publisher as too outlandish It was titled
Paris In The 20th Century . It's set in the year 1963 and made some startling predictions . It predicted Fax machines, Automobiles , Subway, elevators, electronic music, long haired fashions , homelessness.

Did Jules Verne write YA?

I know most people associate him with science fiction but I think he actually wrote YA.

If you compare him with Frank Herbert for instance I think he's writing something much looser than science fiction.

That isn't a criticism. It may actually be why I like him. Twenty Thousand Leagues is his most complex but my preference is Around the World.

My favorite director, Hideaki Anno adapted the former.
YA is really a modern publishing category, aimed at a particular audience. Verne wrote popular, accessible fiction. As far as I am aware these novels were marketed generally, not at YAs specifically.