Non-Genre: Will Christopher Baer

SEF

Has anyone read him? I am currently reading the first book of Baer's Phineas Poe trilogy. Gritty neo-noir tales about a disgraced ex-cop whose a morphine addict and just released from the psyche ward. Quite addictive and quick reads too. In the first book, Poe awakens after a drunken night spent with a mysterious dame to find himself lying in ice in the bathtub of a hotel room and groggily discovers surgery has been performed upon him. His kidney has been removed and his body crudely stapled shut. And thus begins Poe bloody violent journey of love and revenge.

Here are the titles:

1. Kiss Me, Judas
2. Penny Dreadful
3. Hell's Half Acre

Hmm..sounds an awful lot like the morning after the night before at a Bangkok Hotel that has initials starting with Dark City...:rolleyes:

Does this author have a website you can provide?....:confused: :confused:

Here is the author's website.

Cut and pasted comments I made at another SFF discussion forum--

I am three quarters of the way through Kiss Me, Judas and find this author quite talented at the realization of the senses and twisting one's perception of things. Like a floating carpet ride. A soft seductive whisper blurring reality and delusion. The first third of the book, the jury was out, the prose and storytelling was interesting enough but sometimes in felt like an amateurish smooch attempt at neo-noir. But as the novel progressed it becomes much more extraordinary and readers will discover the author's talented voice.

Here are some excellent blurbs:

Kiss Me, Judas

"I was finally able to read Kiss Me, Judas and absolutely loved it. The writing is perfect, synergistic and so beautifully interwoven with the story, the reader is put through an extraordinary experience. The hallucinatory sequences are so perfect I am still not certain what is real and what is not, and I don't care. I experienced the book, and I still am."

-Hubert Selby Jr.

"A stylish exercise in neo-noir paranoia, wall-to-wall deceit and sexual obsession."

-The Chicago Tribune

Penny Dreadful

"A novel that bears bits of colored glass and has sex coming from it in waves ... Demanding, violently lit changes of brainscape keep you blinking. The baffled reader often feels like someone sitting at a red light with eyes shrunk to pinpricks and horns honking hysterically behind. Baer's over-the-top magic, however, will attract and lock in new members to his cult."

-Kirkus Reviews

Those were rather well put. Further I would add, Baer evokes something personal and intimate with his descriptions, it's shocks me often. He really places readers in the moment, whether it's real or delusion.

Oh yeah, here's death to smooch! ;)

Yeah! I love his work thus far, and to any that read the dialogue in this thread. Sans Gollum of course, nope, WCB is no plagiarist or hack, but he does have influences. I don't know why I thought I should add that if only to remove any potential confusion. :)

Also, what I meant by the smooch comment is there was a passing punk rock girl/boy vibe in the undercurrents within portions of the first 75-100 pgs but I was imagining things. ;)