Eclipse 2024?

Yes, you can hear them singing that way in the background at the end of "I Am the Walrus."

My family travelled to an isolated ranch Lampasas, Tx for the eclipse, having planned this months in advance. It was partly cloudy all day, with complete cloud cover during the totality.

It feels incomplete somehow without the visual effect, though we still experienced the sudden twilight effect of the lighting, and a noticable temperature drop. There is a sudden stillness, the birds stopped chirping and the cows stopped mooing. The wind picked up.

Then the clouds cleared and the sun was out, showing just a sliver on the opposite side as the moon continued to move. The world "takes a breath" and everything starts feeling back to normal. We just didn't see the sun and moon together in their totality.

The clouds, not wanting to be left out, photobombed the event.

FB_IMG_1712694784215.jpg

I was holed up in my study (Scotland) and watched the entire eclipse as it crossed Mexico and America - via youtube, of course.
1f642.png
AP did a pretty good job, letting us see the approach to and period of totality in 6 or 7 different places. Peoplewatched through their eclipse glasses during the partial phase but when the eclipse was total, they began using their phones! In two locations the camera-person showed us the shocking 'hole in the sky', which is the thing that really lifts the little hairs on your arms. A total eclipse is one of the most unique, unearthly experiences you can have - but was anyone actually living the moment, letting the otherworldliness sink in?

This time we bought binoculars and I was truly amazed that during totality we could actually see bright red lights on the corona, which I guess were solar flares(?). Awesome to see phenomena like this that are normally hidden to us, to experience a different view of our cosmic neighborhood for even a brief moment of time.

@Orcadian, I’ll admit I did take a picture or 5 or 8 throughout the whole transit of the moon, but the experience is much more than can be captured in an image. This particular eclipse was long, as things go, more than three minutes at “totality,” so I felt there was time enough to live the experience and share it as well.

I don't know if anyone has considered this, but the moon is moving away from the earth. Right now, the moon is exactly the right distance to see only the corona (more or less) when the eclipse is full. In 50,000 or 500,000 years, the moon would have a much larger ring of light around it. I'd guess in a few million years, you'd just get a bit of darkening and the "ring" would be so large as to be an insignificant event.

The next eclipse where I live (The Netherlands) will be on 25 May 2142, when I'll be 188. I will be (hurray!) a total eclipse, but to see it I'll first have to find the Fountain of Youth and make sure my house hasn't collapsed before that time.
Go south.

Quite a bit south.

In August 2026.

Spain :) . I hope go.

Saw the 1999 eclipse in France. Incredible experience.

Can't get Danny's cartoon to embed so have added it again here.
View attachment 117188
"But what's underneath the turtles?"
"Uh-uh, you can't fool me like that. It's turtles all the way down."
Wow! Don't get what might anything being below Great A'Tuin. (Sorry Orcadian, ignoring the joke)
But as any reasonably knowledgeable Discy might know, (I had to look it up) above him are Tubul, Great T’Phon, Berilia and Jerakeen.
Thank you Danny.
I appreciate the reference to the greatest cosmos spanners in literature.

Last edited:
I have watched a total lunar eclipse before now. The moon goes from a bright cricle to an ominous, dark-red, lumpy mass that looks like it's about to fall on you.

One thing I do remember is just how much light there still was right up until the very last moment.

I risked a look for a few seconds without the glasses just to see this.

It really is quite an experience. I'm quite serious about getting down to Spain in 2026.

But for anyone looking to see one, I recommend doing it as far from other people as possible. There were only a few around when I saw it in 1999 (Vouziers, near Rheims - right in the centre of the line of totality) and one small group thought it would be nice to have pop music playing :rolleyes:.