Eclipse 2024?

But for anyone looking to see one, I recommend doing it as far from other people as possible. There were only a few around when I saw it in 1999 (Vouziers, near Rheims - right in the centre of the line of totality) and one small group thought it would be nice to have pop music playing :rolleyes:.
I totally sympathise! There are two sorts of people at a total eclipse. The ones who get hyper-excited and whoop, yell and clap throughout, as though they are at a game. And those for whom this is a primitive, visceral, once-in-a-lifetime experience. They prefer to be silent and just to let these incredible sights soak in. Unfortunately, the first sort far (far) outnumber the second. And so the solution is as you suggest - find somewhere to go where you can be more or less alone.

I totally sympathise! There are two sorts of people at a total eclipse. The ones who get hyper-excited and whoop, yell and clap throughout, as though they are at a game. And those for whom this is a primitive, visceral, once-in-a-lifetime experience. They prefer to be silent and just to let these incredible sights soak in. Unfortunately, the first sort far (far) outnumber the second. And so the solution is as you suggest - find somewhere to go where you can be more or less alone.
Yes, I find eclipses an almost spiritual experience, best enjoyed in solitude.

However, for those who wish to celebrate loudly - the sun is very far away. How will it know people are cheering it on unless they shout?