merlin book

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Hi I'm actually asking this for a customer who has me stumped... he's looking for a book about Merlin, published at least 20 years ago but it could be older

It's not Stephen Lawhead or Mary Stewart's trilogies, or Deepak Chopra's modern retelling. He thinks the author is a male

It starts after the Merlin times, with a grave scene that then takes you back to the time of Merlin
It draws on the Welsh tradition, and uses Myrddin as a name
He thinks the cover had a reddish tinge

Anything come to mind, peeps?

Hi I'm actually asking this for a customer who has me stumped... he's looking for a book about Merlin, published at least 20 years ago but it could be older
So how does that work Jo?

"I'm sorry sir but I don't recognise the book you want, if you give me a few hours I know a variety of book nerds who may guess it for you"
:oops: :)

So how does that work Jo?

"I'm sorry sir but I don't recognise the book you want, if you give me a few hours I know a variety of book nerds who may guess it for you"
:oops: :)
That was pretty much the exact conversation, yes. I assured him y'all top quality nerds and geeks :D

It starts after the Merlin times, with a grave scene that then takes you back to the time of Merlin
It draws on the Welsh tradition, and uses Myrddin as a name
He thinks the cover had a reddish tinge

This suggested to me Porius by John Cowper Powys, except I'm not sure about the grave scene. It was published back in the 50s I think.

This suggested to me Porius by John Cowper Powys, except I'm not sure about the grave scene. It was published back in the 50s I think.
I wondered about that too. He’ll get his money’s worth even if it isn’t the one.

Could it be the Warlord series by Bernard Cornwell? The protagonist of the series is Derfel Cadarn who is an orphaned Saxon brought up as a Briton by Merlin and who goes on become one of Arthur's Captains. The publishing dates of the trilogy match - The Winter King (1995) Enemy of God (1996) Excalibur (1997) and the author is male. However, haven't read that series, so I couldn't tell you if they begin with a grave scene set in the future. The Winter King cover has helmet with a reddish sky and snow covered landscape.