Could have voted for
A Harmless Drudge - @Victoria Silverwolf
Lost in the Noise - @THX1138
Greenwashed Truth - @astrojosh
Antisocial Media AKA In Your Face Book - @Peter V
Turning the Tables Is Sweet Indeed - @Parson
Presentation Is Everything - @paranoid marvin

Voted for
Ghosts of a Digital Past - @Bren G - very neatly summing up one of the problems of everything being digital

I struggled between these three...

@holland B(l)ackmail - I thought it was a most original concept, well articulated and I like the contrasting writing format

@ParsonTurning the Tables – bonus points for embracing the theme full on and for dropping a great truth of our ultra-politicalized age

@paranoid marvinPresentation is Everything – great take on the theme while humiliating an advanced alien race for the benefit of our primitive human egos.

PM edged the others out by a slim margin as it gave me a good laugh on an otherwise dreary day.

Mentions - Cats Cradle, JohnnyJet and Christine.

I was split on Mosaix and PM, with PM getting the vote with a nice last line.

With no votes or mentions I'm off for a good cry, which I will start streaming once I have reset my password and online security - I'm not a bot and who cares about the number of bicycles in the pictures, just let me log in... Bowler1 finally has a reason to cry as he remains locked out of his computer.

Who posted this post - I've been hacked!!!

My Short List and *** Favorite ***:

A Harmless Drudge - Victoria Silverwolf
*** Voices Not Forgotten - Cat's Cradle ***
Disengaged – Culhwch
When Earth Cried Wolf – emrosenagel
Well, We Tried… - mosaix
So'rce Checked - Paul J. Menzies
The Oort Witch Project – Phyrebrat
Presentation Is Everything - paranoid marvin

Bowler1 dries his eyes and with a final sniffle, waves a thanks to Starbeast.

Picks up a pitchfork with a smile, normal service has resumed.

Thanks so much to Starbeast, Bowler and Bren G for your votes, and also to johnnyjet, emrosenagel, M.Robert Gibson, Provincial and Christine Wheelwright for the shortlistings.

My vote: @Troyzan787--for that perfect, last-line punch of irony that's so hard to sell in 75 words.

My shortlist:
@Victoria Silverwolf--the story really captures (ha) Johnson well.
@holland--really pulls off the text medium! And I love the immediate stakes of the first lines.
@Cat's Cradle--love the comparison of a futuristic technology with a historical one; adds both perspective and another layer of haunting.
@Culhwch--nails the pacing and the tight prose.
@Peter V--books have many uses!

Back