Soviet SciFi

Jubal_Harshaw

I read this in the 80s, as best I can recall.

Basically, the Soviets won on Earth, eventually, but not before both blocs had started colonizing nearby star systems. This book was set on a planet that had been colonized by the US, but failed. The colonists devolved into animals, filling basically every ecological niche, everything from seal-men to mole-men.

The successors to the Soviets (who did not seem very Communist to me at the time) were exploring the planet.

Sound familiar?

Are you looking specifically for a Soviet author, or a SF book about Sov/US?

I'd been looking for Russian science fiction, and found a list of Russian anthologies answer to someone else's question on Reddit.

Your description mentions a full length book rather than short stories, but without much to go on, might as well see if any authors are familiar.

I read this in the 80s, as best I can recall.

Basically, the Soviets won on Earth, eventually, but not before both blocs had started colonizing nearby star systems. This book was set on a planet that had been colonized by the US, but failed. The colonists devolved into animals, filling basically every ecological niche, everything from seal-men to mole-men.

The successors to the Soviets (who did not seem very Communist to me at the time) were exploring the planet.

Sound familiar?

This sounds like "Enemies of the System" by Brian Aldiss, first published in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, in 1978.

It can be read online on the Internet Archive - link