Neuromancer - AppleTV

ctg

weaver of the unseen
It's been a long time coming: A TV series adapted from the famed William Gibson novel Neuromancer will air on Apple TV+. The streamer ordered 10 episodes.

The order comes after decades of failed attempts to greenlight a screen adaptation of the 1984 science fiction novel. The most recent widely known failed attempt was by Deadpool director Tim Miller in 2017.

The series will be helmed by showrunner, writer, and producer Graham Roland, who until now was best known as the creator of the AMC TV series Dark Winds and for helming the series Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video. Roland will share a co-creator credit on Neuromancer with J.D. Dillard, a TV writer known for his work on the recent Twilight Zone reboot series.

Roland will be the series' showrunner, and Dillard will direct its pilot episode.

The show will be produced by Skydance Television and Anonymous Content, both of which Apple has worked with before; Skydance previously produced Apple's series based on Isaac Asimov's Foundation series of books, and Anonymous Content produced The Savant and Time Bandits.

Apple's press release about the new series describes its premise, which obviously matches that of Gibson's novel:

The series will follow a damaged, top-rung super-hacker named Case who is thrust into a web of digital espionage and high stakes crime with his partner Molly, a razor-girl assassin with mirrored eyes aiming to pull a heist on a corporate dynasty with untold secrets.

The synopsis makes it sound as if the fruit company is taking liberties. Molly was not a partner, she was a mercenary. Otherwise, I hope they'll do justice, even if I doubt that they'll be able to put out the whole Gibson's cyberpunk world.

After weeks of moving through scuzzy bars with off-beat cybernetic accouterment, toiling under a static-grey sky to gain control of cyberspace, our heroes have made it to Zion. The Rastafarians who greet these travelers from a ship named for an important historical figure pay little mind to our male protagonist. However, they cannot believe their luck in meeting his female companion, whose reputation far exceeds his.

Regardless of the chilly reception, the protagonist remains undeterred. Zion is, after all, a key part in mission to understand a powerful AI controlling.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that the above description comes form The Matrix, the groundbreaking sci-fi action movie from 1999 or its sequels. But I’m not describing Neo and Trinity aboard the Nebuchadnezzar. I’m talking about Case and Molly reaching the Rastafarian colony of Zion with help from their ship the Marcus Garvey in the 1984 novel Neuromancer by William Gibson.

The synopsis makes it sound as if the fruit company is taking liberties. Molly was not a partner, she was a mercenary. Otherwise, I hope they'll do justice, even if I doubt that they'll be able to put out the whole Gibson's cyberpunk world.
When they start reimagining , it tends to not bode well .

Even though they don't go to Zion in the book. It is so weird how stuff gets adapted - there is so much happening in that book, yet they have to add a whole different place for some reason.