DISCUSSION THREAD -- March 2024 -- 75-Word Writing Challenge

I'm guessing that it's just me, but it sure seemed like we struggled with the Myth or Legend part of this challenge. We had a whole lot of takes on spring in its various forms but I often had trouble seeing a myth or a legend.
Yep, I should have taken a few more days to think up of a myth or legend. Still fun and maybe we'll get another chance in some future month?:)

I'm guessing that it's just me, but it sure seemed like we struggled with the Myth or Legend part of this challenge. We had a whole lot of takes on spring in its various forms but I often had trouble seeing a myth or a legend.
I didn't struggle as such but deliberately avoided it in the traditional sense of legend. Trying to be a bit different.

I had more fun with getting as many 'springs' in as possible :p

This was the toughest to judge of all the challenges from the almost four years I've been doing them. I felt a bit like Homer in the Simpsons film critic episode, judging between Moleman's 'football in the groin', and Barney's memoir -because it came down to What a Bounder! by @paranoid marvin (which had headsmashing), and Widow's Walk by @Phyrebrat (which had poetic language). What a Bounder! got the vote.

Also almost voted for:

Spring Out! Spring Out! by @johnnyjet -It's a sweaty job but someone's gotta do it.
Prime Time by @Daysman -The days are short and the seasons long on Mars.
Spring into action by @The Judge -A season for all.
How Death Came to the Trees by @Victoria Silverwolf -Typical of sky, thinks it's higher than everyone.
The Movement of the Seasons by @THX1138 -Like the ticking of a clock, so go the days.
Professor Binfire and the Pollution Solution: or, How the Legendary Professor Binfire First Came to the Attention of the Public At Large. by @Provincial -If in doubt, cast it out.
Nature's Promise by @mosaix -No season will ever be outdone (hopefully;)

Thanks all for all the stories.

DaCrazyKat29: Never underestimate the power of a woman.

Parson: If it seems too good to be true, it's probably very bad.

Daysman: Here, there, and everywhere.

Starbeast: Life imitates art.

Culwch: What comes around, goes around.

Swank: War! What is it good for?

M. Robert Gibson: Pay attention to the fine print.

emrosenagel: Life comes from life.

nixie: Only change is eternal.

chrispenycate: A person's a person, no matter how small.

Elckerlyc: Don't believe everything you hear.

paranoid marvin: Legends never die.

Bren G: Often a hard bargain is the best you can do.

The Judge: Turnabout is fair play.

Ursa major: The best gifts are unexpected.

A tough challenge and a tough one to judge. Vote goes to Phyrebrat.

Hmmm. When I set the Challenge I was hoping to get entries using real myths or legends or creating something akin to them, but I was prepared to extend the definition, but still for me a goodly number of stories missed the genre with however much latitude I gave it, though the theme was pretty much there every time.

Anyhow, my shortlist:

Bren G -- Bruinian Bargain
Cat's Cradle -- The Fifth Season
emrosenagel -- Eloma, Epitome of Life and Death and Life
johnnyjet -- Spring Out! Spring Out!
Phyrebrat -- Widow's Walk
Victoria Silverwolf -- How Death Came to the Trees
Yozh -- The Tears of the Sun

No font of wisdom or seasoned intelligence allowed me to spring forth with my vote, as none of the seven sprang out at me as springing ahead of its rivals, so it was very much a long re-read of each and a good deal of deliberation, trying to decide which was the spring winner as they were all excellent. In the end, and by the narrowest of margins, I sprang for Bren G's tale as I loved the idea of snowdrops mourning the winter dead in the spring.

I really wasn't happy with my own tale this month, as I wrestled with what needed to be a far longer story, trying to get too much into it and be too clever, and as it got later and later I got more and more frustrated that I couldn't see how to make it work -- I don't think I've ever got so close to the deadline and it was only because I felt I had to take part, as I'd chosen the bloody theme and genre, that I posted at all.

So I'm doubly and triply chuffed at having got some very welcome mentions/shortlistings, so Springing Spring Thanks Bren G, nixie, johnnyjet, sule, Chris p and ARU!

Oh, crikey -- and Tomb-Splitting, Flower-Blooming Thanks for the wholly unexpected ninja vote, Yozh!

Is there going to be a prize for the most different uses of the word ‘spring’? There have been a few entries…
Tomorrow, when voting's over, those who want to compete for the Virtual Spring Cup can post giving details of numbers and uses/instances (with definitions to show they are different!) and we'll see who wins!

I voted for Victoria Silverwolf's story... it's impressive to create legends in 75 words.

My shortlist is:
Phyrebrat, donrmontgomery, mosaix, Christine Wheelwright, emrosenagel, paranoid marvin, and The Judge.

Thanks so much, TJ, for the listing. I felt I needed extra words for my entry, as I always try to shoehorn too much in.
Good luck the rest of the way, everyone. :)

Hey, we have the 300 worder next month, along with the 75 worder. Cool.

edit to add a 'Thank you!' to Christine Wheelwright for the listing. I missed it earlier, thanks!

Last edited: