Ancient? The Llandudno stone circle.

That is very funny. A stone circle is usually erected wherever the annual National Eisteddfod is held, so there are quite a lot of them around the place. The Gorsedd mentioned by the narrator is the society of bards. The stone circle is used during the Eisteddfod for a number of ceremonies including the announcement of the following years' Eisteddfod. Although they are modern, they a quite impressive.

Last edited:
My experience has been that for many people, something that happened over 60 years ago  is ancient history
I wonder if some of it comes down to the size of the generation gap and whether your grandparents were story tellers. My father's mother was - and she was born at the end of the Victorian age and was actually put into a crinoline when she reached her teens (not a great success initially as she was more tomboy than young lady). So here I am, with the memory of meeting someone who wore a crinoline, as my father was a fair bit older than my mother and that stretched the generation.
For compression of generations someone I once knew went in to hospital for her first baby when she was 31 and was most annoyed to be categorised as a geriatric mother. In the next bed was a 16 year old giving birth, with her 32 year old mother in attendance who was crowing about shortly being a grandmother and lording it over my acquaintance who'd not yet reached the status of mother. Though with the shorter generations, you'd think there would be great grandma around somewhere to give a slightly longer perspective.

@hitmouse - despite the re-enactment I've never tried.

I wonder if some of it comes down to the size of the generation gap and whether your grandparents were story tellers. My father's mother was - and she was born at the end of the Victorian age and was actually put into a crinoline when she reached her teens (not a great success initially as she was more tomboy than young lady). So here I am, with the memory of meeting someone who wore a crinoline, as my father was a fair bit older than my mother and that stretched the generation.
For compression of generations someone I once knew went in to hospital for her first baby when she was 31 and was most annoyed to be categorised as a geriatric mother. In the next bed was a 16 year old giving birth, with her 32 year old mother in attendance who was crowing about shortly being a grandmother and lording it over my acquaintance who'd not yet reached the status of mother. Though with the shorter generations, you'd think there would be great grandma around somewhere to give a slightly longer perspective.

@hitmouse - despite the re-enactment I've never tried.
It is amazing to think that when I was a child, in the 1970s, I had conversations with people who were born in the 1880s. In 1977 I was introduced to a 106 year old lady. I dont think she said much, but still.

We were returning from a muster once, still in kit, heavily laden car. At a big roundabout I was being cautious about pulling out as we were wallowing a bit on the acceleration. A red sports car was coming round the outside lane of the roundabout and I thought no hope of pulling out safely. The car behind me couldn't see the red sports car, assumed the roundabout was empty and I would be moving and rear ended us. Then a passing police car pulled in. The car behind was a little hatch back, we were in a Mondeo. No new damage to the rear end of the Mondeo (the bumper already had a crack in it) their radiator was gone. Part way into providing details to the police, the driver of the other car said "You are Amish aren't you?" Witness had been on TV a week or two before. I was very nice and refrained from pointing out that Amish don't drive cars.

We were returning from a muster once, still in kit, heavily laden car. At a big roundabout I was being cautious about pulling out as we were wallowing a bit on the acceleration. A red sports car was coming round the outside lane of the roundabout and I thought no hope of pulling out safely. The car behind me couldn't see the red sports car, assumed the roundabout was empty and I would be moving and rear ended us. Then a passing police car pulled in. The car behind was a little hatch back, we were in a Mondeo. No new damage to the rear end of the Mondeo (the bumper already had a crack in it) their radiator was gone. Part way into providing details to the police, the driver of the other car said "You are Amish aren't you?" Witness had been on TV a week or two before. I was very nice and refrained from pointing out that Amish don't drive cars.
After a while you forget you are dressed strangely, I remember being in a garage after filling up to go home and the guy in front who was in full kit was asked Cavalier? He replied "No the Ford,"

Does anyone make Junket anymore? I haven’t seen Rennet in the supermarket for a long time.
My grandmother used to make it for us. I had forgotten about it till you said. Here is a Canadian guy making it from a 1940's recipe.
Looks easy peasy

I told a young relative about how one night in 1963 my father and I got stuck in a snowdrift on a road in the welsh mountains. We had to walk a mile or so through deep snow to the lights of a farm and persuade the farmer to tow us out with his tractor.
"Why didn't you just phone for help?" :rolleyes:
"No signal." I replied sarcastically.

I told a young relative about how one night in 1963 my father and I got stuck in a snowdrift on a road in the welsh mountains. We had to walk a mile or so through deep snow to the lights of a farm and persuade the farmer to tow us out with his tractor.
"Why didn't you just phone for help?" :rolleyes:
"No signal." I replied sarcastically.
LOL "We'd have had to wait 37yrs and that seemed like a bit long to us."

A friend runs a moorland, get back to nature holiday complex. Complete with broad band wi-fi because the guests refuse to do without it.