3 Body Problem (US SF Series) - Netflix

Personally, I don't have a problem with smoking. I actually prefer it over drinking, and nobody is complaining about that or the fact that Saul happens to be on sauce or smoke all the time. Also, when you think about the audience, most of it is going to be smart and understanding instead of being perplexed by the audacity of the streaming giant putting smoking in front of a large audience.

Did anyone else think there was a lot of cigarette smoking going on? I think it was heavily used as a storytelling device to a) show that people were very stressed b) give a reason to get two characters separated from the group. There should be better ways to achieve both those. Two women don't really need an excuse to go off to the ladies' to discuss something.

Maybe I'm just showing my age. Apparently, one report says smoking is most prevalent among Millennials (44%), followed by Generation X consumers (36%). Another says that people aged 25 to 34 years have the highest proportion of current smokers in the UK (16.3%); those aged 65 years and over had the lowest (8.3%). On the other hand, smoking is at it's lowest since records began, and more prevalent in lower socio-economic groups, which this group is clearly not, as it includes millionaires. In any case, it is vaping and e-cigarettes that are more common in these younger age groups.
Yes.

Let's see where today's episode takes us...

I really didn't expect them showing yet another murder straight from the beginning. Only this time it didn't happen in the UK, but instead the DI went to Switzerland, to the CERN to study the case. Even though the Intelligence Agency is a private facility, and it doesn't have an international agreement on doing the studies. Maybe this world didn't go through the Brexit.

32 boffins are dead, and probably a much bigger number has given up on their projects because committing a suicide is a much bigger step. The most important thing they found was the alien VR helmet, allowing the DI to finally have his hands on the device.

The Oxford Five obviously were on top of things, discussing the deaths as if all of it had been blasted over the news cycle instead of omitting out the details, because let's be honest, the murder investigators don't ever release all the things. They are vague for a reason.

It surprised that the Five didn't talk much more than casually mentioning it, before WIll and Jil were left alone, and Will the coward made a move towards his love interest without telling her that he's about to die. Not that they allowed it to go much further as Auggie found Jack's VR helmet and got her head chopped off. More importantly, she said, "What the ef is wrong with you? We don't have this technology. Where did this come from? That thing is hacking your brain."

All of them important questions and observations. I also liked that Will pointed out that someone broke into Jack's place and left the alien device along with the invitation card, and Jack just took it as normal. Auggie made Jil and Jack to promise that they'd stop playing the game, but that was obviously a lie because the game had already consumed Jil's life. Completely.

She even had made a full whiteboard on the matter and were raving about it to Jack in a video conference, where the DI had got himself access to simply spy on the two dumpties. The surprise was that the pair managed to get into the same session together when they donned the helmets during the call, and they were transported to Jack's VR reality to see a Pope in England, along with his aids wearing modern glasses.

To me, it was another WTF moment, just like character with the glasses showed on his face when Jil started explaing yet another theory. Actually this time she explained the 3-body problem as 3 member strong celestial system where the planet revolves around a star and its orbit is interfered by another star ... outside the planetary orbit. Only the Pope didn't accept it as Earth went through a end of the world by 3 stars appearing on the sky turning the VR earth to a melting planet, where Jack and Jill could still breathe relatively easily.

The DI talking to his boss after the session revealed that the helmet has a retinal, brain and oxygen scanners. All without visible electronics. The boss made a clever observation, when he said, "It's recruitment tool..." but for what?

Not that was the only intriguing detail as Auggie went back to talk to her employer, who put her sponsored work visa status in the agenda, making her to restart the project, and when she did it, the countdown returned. It even remembered on how time was left in the clock. Frantically, seeing that she shut it down.

The important detail here is, why does the aliens want to mess with the top scientists?

Not that we got an answer to that as Jil and Jack went to another session, this time in Level 3, with two players instead of one. And this time they went into heart of Great Khan's Empire to present their solution, to only encounter another pair who did do human computations with millions of soldiers in the field 'waving' flags to do ones and zeros.

It worked, but our mind is not capable of deciphering the data on fly. It's just not possible, because our brain is not wired in that way to see the binaries in the vast field they used to do the calculations. The whole thing was another fantasy. An interesting one, because Jil pointed out, the calculations weren't going to work without knowing 3 stars starting parameters. Thanks to it, the pair has figured out the meaning of the game is survival of civilization and because of it, they've advanced to level 4.

Maybe more importantly, for the story sake, we got to see MiB talking to an alien via old school transmitter. Talk where he explained from his perspective humanity, and the alien replied that people need to learn again to be afraid as if it wasn't already a thing in this paranoid world.

So J&J got another invitation to play the next level, but the twist in the plot was that they were going to do it at the front of the alien girl. In the game, the avatar revealed that the aliens are coming and they want to take over the world because "if one survives, we all survives." Almost as if the aliens are saying that 3-body problem is present everywhere.

That boggles my mind. Just like the alien girl claim that the aliens are coming from 3-body star system, just 4 light years away. It turned out to be the Alpha Centauri.

Alpha Centauri is a triple star system located just over four light years, or about 25 trillion miles, from Earth. While this is a large distance in terrestrial terms, it is three times closer than the next nearest Sun-like star.

The stars in the Alpha Centauri system include a pair called “A” and “B,” (AB for short) which orbit relatively close to each other. Alpha Cen A is a near twin of our Sun in almost every way, including age, while Alpha Cen B is somewhat smaller and dimmer but still quite similar to the Sun. The third member, Alpha Cen C (also known as Proxima), is a much smaller red dwarf star that travels around the AB pair in a much larger orbit that takes it more than 10 thousand times farther from the AB pair than the Earth-Sun distance. Proxima currently holds the title of the nearest star to Earth, although AB is a very close second.

Jack was the dumpty one after the session, because he denied aliens and their game. Jil couldn't give up, and therefore she got an invitation to another location, to another session. Jack on the other hand got murdered by the alien girl.

Very good and very intriguing episode with some perplexing sciency things.

Episode 6.
"Sophons" :( oh dear, oh dear...
"The English suck at beaches." That may be, but at least we don't suck at subtlety.

So J&J got another invitation to play the next level, but the twist in the plot was that they were going to do it at the front of the alien girl. In the game, the avatar revealed that the aliens are coming and they want to take over the world because "if one survives, we all survives." Almost as if the aliens are saying that 3-body problem is present everywhere.

Very good and very intriguing episode with some perplexing sciency things.
Yup.
This phrase, "If one survives, we all survive" is a quote from what the Count of the West said in episode Two after the dehydrating of Follower. Jin repeats that here as answer to Follower's remark that (with only a 1000 ships) many would stay behind. In my opinion this reflects the physical nature of the aliens. How else could a species survive thousands of chaotic era's? So I take this as literal; if one survives, they all survive.

Reactions: ctg
Finished the series. All a bit of anti-climax to be honest.

Will was by far the best character and I warmed to Saul as looked after Will. Auggie made no sense. Earth is facing an existential threat and she has a moral problem with using her skills to aid the defense.

That said I did enjoy the series, not to the extent that I need to read the books, but will definitely tune in for a 2nd season.

I've watched the 4th episode now. I don't feel that I've learnt anything new - it confirmed things I had already guessed and assumed, but the plot is moving very slowly. I liked Jack, so that is a problem. Reading through the posts here, there is obviously quite a lot that the San-Ti can do without actually being here but...
All a bit of anti-climax to be honest.
They won't arrive for 400 years! That's a lot of Seasons on Netflix to fill!

Another thing - there ships will take 400 years to get here - maybe 420 years if the began immediately. The message was returned after 8 years - that's 4 light-years there and 4 light-years back (they said that they immediately replied.) So, the ships are travelling very slowly?

Another thing - there ships will take 400 years to get here - maybe 420 years if the began immediately. The message was returned after 8 years - that's 4 light-years there and 4 light-years back (they said that they immediately replied.) So, the ships are travelling very slowly?
1% of the speed of light, iirc.

Episode 7 last night. Yes, Auggie is a bit of a rubbish character, but she's intended to manifest the "ends don't justify the means" dilemma. Frankly, I'm on her side. It's a bit of a blunt hammer to just say, "the message described us as bugs, therefore we are definitely going to be slaughtered." Does that necessarily follow? It's not exactly nuanced. But, this is a series for an American audience. I'm also getting increasingy put off by Mr I Know It All And You Know That Because I Swear A Lot guy, yet another broad brush "character" made out of second grade timber. Best character is Jin.

Episode 7 last night. Yes, Auggie is a bit of a rubbish character, but she's intended to manifest the "ends don't justify the means" dilemma. Frankly, I'm on her side. It's a bit of a blunt hammer to just say, "the message described us as bugs, therefore we are definitely going to be slaughtered." Does that necessarily follow? It's not exactly nuanced. But, this is a series for an American audience. I'm also getting increasingy put off by Mr I Know It All And You Know That Because I Swear A Lot guy, yet another broad brush "character" made out of second grade timber. Best character is Jin.

The bug reference becomes clearer in the last episode.

Man, I was floored seeing the Chinese astroboffin in London, meeting with the MiB. The thing is China is not known for being lenient towards their prisoners. In some eyes, it might be slightly better than russia system. It's just I cannot figure out how the astroboffin managed to get so much pull to get out of the imprisonment.

Maybe the more impressive thing is that she pulled the alien card out of the hat, by simply saying: "In nature nothing exists alone." It caught the MiB attention straight away, even though 1970's was the time, when ufo's and aliens had been ridiculed so much that nobody believed in them. You'd have to speak about them in hushed tones and not open about them in a busy London restaurant. Why there was no 'big brother' following the astroboffin?

You could assume that the DI is one of the 'big brothers' as he gathered two of the Oxford Four to see their fifth member slaughtered. The surprising thing is that they didn't do it in a conference room but in the boss' office. I'm not sure about the footage, because the Authorities doesn't want to release the details, but in this case, Auggie straight away figured out the murderer was the alien girl.

Auggie demanded for them to catch her, but DI pointed out that "There's 18 cameras in your mate's house, and none of them caught her." Maybe the reason is that she's a higher dimensional being and our cameras can only capture the normal ones. More to the point, the boss said, "They (aliens) want you (Auggie) to stop working and you (Jin) to work for them." Then he added, "You have two choices. You can either go home and mourn your friend, while thinking what would have happened if you had acted differently the night he died, our you can help to catch the c*nts who murdered him."

While the girls got their heads sorted, the DI delivered "good news" that they'd located the MiB in an old tanker at Mediterranean sea, 200 miles north of Alexandria. They didn't want to assault the ship, because there could be thousands of people living in there. And that was fact, because they showed the MiB walking inside, meeting kids who had been told about the aliens, and they believed them to be "Lords" (gods), just as if they'd been brainwashed into a cult.

He also wasn't afraid that the Authorities had found their ship and him living in it, even if he had a moment of pause, when the alien girl told it to be true. She gave him assurances that nothing would happen to them because they'd protect the cultists. While Jin went to the meeting, the MiB read the Little Red Riding Hood to the aliens, and they couldn't get the simplest of metafors from the story. They couldn't understand why the Big Bad Wold hid his intentions?

To me, that is a story breaking moment, even though I get that they are trying to portray the aliens as aliens. It's just in the course of this story they've already showed the aliens lying and manipulating humans. Even murdering people and hiding their identities. They do all that and suddenly the storytellers want us to believe that they are stupid. Why?

Ultimately, the aliens understood that the story was a lie about a lier and because of it, they pulled out from MiB's orbit and left him alone, because they claimed that they couldn't exist with liars. ROFL. When the story shoots itself in the foot. LOL.

Regardless, Jin was visibly scared when she drove to middle of nowhere and got picked up by the cultists, who cited the aliens as their "Lord." They took her into a barn to meet with other scientists. But she didn't showed it, when the alien girl caught her in the crowd and told her a lie, about being "...sorry about your friend." No, they were not sorry about anything. The lies went on as the alien girl sputtered about them not being cultists, but the real thing, because their Lord was real.

Sure, but it doesn't make them any better than the people at Wako and no less of cultists, either. Then they introduced the leader, or their Founder as the original astroboffin. Man, was I floored again. But I was pleased that the Authorities did something when Jin was cuffed. They assaulted the place, and tried to get her, but as it always with the cultists, a difficult fight commenced. DI saved Jin and managed to shoot the alien girl in the leg. All things considered, they managed to capture the OG and put her again in a cell.

Some story breaking moments.

Last edited:
The 5th episode really leaps and bounds forward with the story; explains everything, and I'm sold now. "You Are Bugs" - well they want us to believe that. It's terrorism. However, they already admitted themselves that they are frightened of us, and that their convoy is their funeral cortege rather than an invasion fleet. We just need to keep to science going and not give up. I think we have a good chance of winning.
The bug reference becomes clearer in the last episode.
Intriguing!
bug hotels?
Or DDT?

As for my earlier comment about smoking in the first few episodes, well, as already mentioned, it's now been replaced by downing flasks of blended whisky, dropping acid and smoking weed.

Edit: One small nitpicking though. Cuckmere Haven is one of my favourite places. There is no great "pasty shop" just down the road. Seaford is quite a walk uphill. Eastbourne a bus ride or a walk over the Seven Sisters. He might mean the National Trust café at Birling Gap, but their pasties aren't world-beating. There is a nice Cadence cycling café at the Long Man brewery in Littlington, but no pasties there, just toasted sandwiches.

Last edited:
Episode 6: It's all a little depressing isn't it? Rioting, shortages, suicides. They are downing whole bottles of whisky now. Our main 'group of friends' characters are arguing between themselves. I really can't agree with Auggie though. This is a war for the survival of our species. I can see that some people would agree with her, and she is there to show those people would exist.
Yes, Auggie is a bit of a rubbish character, but she's intended to manifest the "ends don't justify the means" dilemma.
But she is also negative about anything and everything...
"The English suck at beaches."
Regarding Cuckmere Haven, she has a point about the south-east beaches. It's all shingle all the way (except for Camber Sands) until you get to West Wittering. You really have to go to Dorset and Devon to get sandy beaches. I think Saul thinks he is in Cornwall for the pasties. I'll let you all into a great secret (but don't tell anyone else) that the best beaches are in Northumberland (it's just that the water is usually too cold to swim.)

I don't understand the "I've not been charged with any crime" from Ye Wenjie. The UK still has Treason on the statute books (The Treason Act of 1352) and plenty of other countries have similar Laws. Still Life Imprisonment here I believe?

I loved the whole of the "window opening test" scene with Raj. It is very obvious which pieces of this came from the original book and which have been added in about our 'group of friends'. Those are much poorer. I don't feel anything for them, just as they don't seem to feel much for each other.

The "Staircase Plan" is a good idea. I'm not sure why Thomas Wade is keeping on those 'Nobel laureates' if they continue to be so negative. As for the comparison to Hiroshima, that did end a war that was likely to continue indefinitely, resulting in similar death tolls from conventional weapons before it ended, and it has kept us from another world war, so far. However, Nagasaki probably wasn't necessary. But that is World and Current Affairs territory which we keep away from discussing.

What I do like, is the firm hard science background of this series.
So, they will accelerate the probe with multiple nuclear explosions and a nano-fibre sail. They will put a human aboard rather than a camera and hope that the San-Ti remove them, rather than they pass them by in a nanosecond. So, no need to decelerate. But I still see one huge problem which none of the Nobel laureates or Jin Cheng has asked. That is, how is this person going to communicate back what they find out? And how will they do it any faster than light-speed, otherwise it will still takes years.

I don't understand the "I've not been charged with any crime" from Ye Wenjie. The UK still has Treason on the statute books (The Treason Act of 1352) and plenty of other countries have similar Laws. Still Life Imprisonment here I believe?
Ye Wenje is not a British citizen, but Chinese. So UK law doesn't apply. Besides, if it is a case of treason (she could argue she did it because she sincerely believed the San Ti could help humanity forwards), she betrayed humanity, not the British or any other state. Perhaps the International Court of Justice in The Hague can handle such accusations.

I loved the whole of the "window opening test" scene with Raj. It is very obvious which pieces of this came from the original book and which have been added in about our 'group of friends'. Those are much poorer. I don't feel anything for them, just as they don't seem to feel much for each other.
That is my major complaint about the series. This friendship that doesn't exactly shine true, with at least two of them I don't particularly like.
Compared to Wade though, they are lovable.

But I still see one huge problem which none of the Nobel laureates or Jin Cheng has asked. That is, how is this person going to communicate back what they find out? And how will they do it any faster than light-speed, otherwise it will still takes years.
I wondered about that too. But communication doesn't need to be faster than lightspeed, if the San Ti are traveling at 1% of light. The problem is that the sophons are quicker and can disturb anything digital.