I'm trying to find a series or episode

msstice

200 words a day = 1 novel/year
I'm trying to find a series or episode. All I can remember of this is
  1. An oval magic mirror from which a historic pirate like figure would appear
  2. Possibly an african-american girl as one of the central characters
  3. The dialog fragment "New York? What happened to the old one?"
To make our lives harder it's possible I've mushed things from multiple series together, but this is how I recall it now thirty years later. I was stationed in a country with little TV service and all my TV was reruns of American and some British TV, up to a decade after their release. This was early to mid 80s, so the episode could have first been shown in the 1970s.

Could this be an episode of Sesame Street?

I'd be flabbergasted if anyone could come up with an answer, but it's worth a try.

Wasn’t there something on The Banana Splits a little like that? (In the segment that was more usually Danger Island?) But I could be imagining that!

Wasn’t there something on The Banana Splits a little like that? (In the segment that was more usually Danger Island?) But I could be imagining that!

Ive seen Danger Island . that's not it.

Hi,

Was your ghost an old time sea captain? Because before he appeared in the ectoplasm I seem to recall the captain from the Ghost and Mrs Muir appearing in mirrors.

Cheers, Greg.

Ive seen Danger Island . that's not it.
I never said that it was. It wasn't only Danger Island that was shown as a segment within that show. There were several animations (Arabian Knights, Three Musketeers) as well as live actions, such as one with a shrunken down dune buggy. However, looking more carefully at the Banana Splits secondary characters, there is nothing that seems to fit exactly. There was no Oval Mirror. I must have been thinking of the Cuckoo Clock.
it's possible I've mushed things from multiple series together,
Our memories will do that and it something we often see in the Book Query forum.

As @psychotick has said, the first thing that struck me was the Ghost and Mrs Muir, although I think he emerged from a painting, not a mirror. I'm not sure though.

OIP.XEUhXMy-zlXKV3AVdC0pYQAAAA

As @psychotick has said, the first thing that struck me was the Ghost and Mrs Muir, although I think he emerged from a painting, not a mirror. I'm not sure though.

OIP.XEUhXMy-zlXKV3AVdC0pYQAAAA
That's an interesting idea, but this was definitely for kids/preteens.

That's an interesting idea, but this was definitely for kids/preteens.
I loved the film with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison and I have a bit of soft spot for the tv series

I liked it when Martha finally got to Meet Captain Gregg. No matter the incarnation , I could help but like the Captain . :cool:

Hi Farntfar,

From what I remember of the series - and it is a long time ago! - the Captain appeared in mirrors and other reflective surfaces like windows, watching people like the family and when he got angry, causing storms. But in the attic where he was stronger, he appeared in the ecto. At least at first. I also think I remember him say the York joke mentioned, but I could be mixing that up with something else. I also thought it was a pretty much teen / family show - Mrs Muir had her two young kids - but I haven't seen the movie.

Cheers, Greg.

Back