Book Crossovers

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
It would be interesting to hear suggestions for some of the best fictional books/characters referenced in an entirely unrelated story.

One of my favourites is from JM Barrie, who describes Captain Hook as 'the one man Barbecue was afraid of'; Barbecue being a nickname of Long John Silver in Treasure Island.

A book in which Professor James Morality faces off not against Sherlock Homes bu, one of literature other great master villains Dr Fu Manchu in an epic clash.:cool:

My favourite: "Foxglove Summer" by Ben Aaronovitch is set in rural Herefordshire. The main character sees a poster for a folk concert by Laurence "Lol" Robinson. He's a major character from Phil Rickmann's "Merrily Watkins" books, which are also set in Herefordshire.

Too many years ago to recall the title, I read one of August Derleth's Solar Pons stories that included both Hercule Poirot (unnamed, but unmistakable from the description) and Simon Templar, a.k.a. The Saint, also unmistakable since I believe he gave Pons a card or letter signed with a stick figure with a halo.

Maybe not the best, but it was certainly interesting. There's a Star Trek book that's a crossover with X-Men.

Some of my favorites though are in the fairy tale genre. Lots of mashups between fairy tales or fairy tales combined with the classics. Almost always a fun read.

Joron Twiner from The Tide Child Trilogy has to serve as the captain of a starship in The Expanse.

Back in the mid to late 70's, after the copyrights for both Sherlock Holmes and Dracula ran out, Fred Saberhagen wrote a cross-over, The Holmes-Dracula file. Bit of a surprise in that one, but I won't tell!

There's a Doctor Who novel featuring Sherlock Holmes, called "All-Consuming Fire". Holmes get a bit sidelined after the alien mercenaries show up, sadly.

There's a Doctor Who novel featuring Sherlock Holmes, called "All-Consuming Fire". Holmes get a bit sidelined after the alien mercenaries show up, sadly.

There one by Michael Moorcock where The Doctor meets Jeremiah Cornelius one of there incarnations of the Eternal Champion .

Also A Bertram Chandler's John. Grimes Space Saga did a crossover with Poul Anderson character Dominic Flandry. :cool: