AI Robots take over, then Supercomputers take over

Dave Vicks

Anyone know the title of the SF Novel
Where AI Robots take over ,then Supercomputers take over.

Terminator
I was going to mention that Terminator, the film, was in a Lawsuit with Harlan Ellison over one of his short stories, and on the VHS film release he got a credit? I thought that it might be that that @Dave Vicks is thinking of, but I haven't read it myself, Soldier from Tomorrow (also an Outer Limits episode called Soldier) but looking it up now, there are no robots or AIs involved at all! It's just about a time travelling human soldier.

I'll move these threads over to book search.

Terminator actually has much more in common with Ellison's other Outer Limits story Demon with a Glass Hand (an alien and robot from the future are sent back in time but the robot appears human) but Ellison apparently disagreed with that:

from Wikipedia said:
Some media outlets had previously reported that "Demon with a Glass Hand" was the basis of a settlement that Ellison received after it was allegedly plagiarized for The Terminator. Harlan Ellison clarified in a 2001 exchange with a fan at his Web site: "'Terminator' was not stolen from 'Demon with a Glass Hand,' it was a ripoff of my OTHER Outer Limits script, 'Soldier.'"

Many similar elements of the story can be found in the X-Men: The Animated Series episode called 'One Man's Worth' which was itself was taken from the X-Men storyline Age of Apocalypse

Neither can be the first time that someone sent an AI robot soldier back from the future in a book.

Colossus: The Forbin Project - No robots, but supercomputers take over.
The Adolescence of P-1 - No robots either, but computers link together and take over.

A somewhat similar theme:-

There's this book by Christopher Gray
It's about two earths that are developing AI one I think has AI robotics while the other has developed a supercomputer.
The one with a supercomputer develops a method of crossing the multiworlds in an attempt to escape an extinction event and then the two Earths have to deal with each other in the target universe. The one that crosses over is having major events caused by the lack of a moon.

In some ways it is close though I'm not sure it is what you are describing.

Then there is the one by Nick LLoyd.
Where the development of a self aware AI triggers an event that causes a number of Extraterrestrial supercomputers to come to extract it from Earth and attempt to destroy those who made it.

Last edited: