DISCUSSION THREAD -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #51 (October 2023)

AnRoinnUltra

Cé scéal tuthóg?
Supporter
This was one of those editions where it was a struggle to pick.
I enjoyed all the stories but the aim of the game is to pick, so...

I really liked:

Malus by @Starbeast Lively stuff, and if it gets too much ya can always run away like a whimpering gibbon.
The Custodian by @paranoid marvin Some tree huggers are only trying to see if the trunk is wide enough to be worth cutting.
Memory by @Luiglin ...Pushing the wrong person.
The Watcher in the Dark @BigJ Mind ya don't get indigestion.

And voted for:

That smile from the Shadows by @Rafellin Really enjoyed this, so much going on -it it was a book I'd be in on it.
A Woman for all Seasons by @Parson Do they have winter in outer space? Great story.
Family Tree by @Astro Pen Enjoyed the SF and the cool reference between the first and last lines.

Thanks all fore all the stories, and to @Parson and @Victoria Silverwolf for the reviewing -which I reckon is a thread that ties the whole challenge together.
And thanks @Phyrebrat for the well written insight into your favourite place in the world, brought home how tied we are to the landscape we live in.

Starbeast

Benevolent Galaxy Being

M. Robert Gibson

is encumbered by a cumbersome cucumber
Supporter

emrosenagel

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
I've got an hour (more-or-less) I'll try to get my voting done.

Short list -- Because
Octophants always play the long game
by @AnRoinnUltra --- It's such a sweet story of how true friends are together. It reminds me of a sweet Sesame Street story.

Bones in the Mangrove, Soul in the Orchid by @emrosenagel --- It's a story that is intricately formed into a delicate fantasy.

So the Tree Rustles in the Evening by @johnnyjet --- It's so original and so inhumanly sad.

The Gift by @Jo Zebedee --- It fairly drips with emotion that is easily felt when you know you're different and long for acceptance.

The Bois De Mort by M. Robert Gibson --- It is a classic horror story that you just don't see coming until it's too late.

Waiting Under the Tree by @The Judge --- It's a story that makes me feel hope in a world where most feel like outsiders.

Okay, I made it, but this was HARD!!! I think I could have made a case for every story in this batch. In the end I voted for

So the Tree Rustles in the Evening by @johnnyjet

The Gift by @Jo Zebedee

Waiting Under the Tree by @The Judge

johnnyjet

Western PA High Tech Country Boy
My Long List and *** Top Three ***:

Woodsong - Victoria Silverwolf
*** Bones in the Mangrove, Soul in the Orchid – emrosenagel ***
Memory – Luiglin
*** The Watcher in the Dark – BigJ ***
That Smile from the Shadows – Rafellin
Non-Euclidean Siblings - Phyrebrat