Scientists get closer to solving mystery of antimatter

Biskit

Cat whisperer
Supporter
Sitting in the sun (between the rain storms)
I think the relative nature of "closer" ought to be highlighted, but it is an interesting progress increment, and I had no idea that you could actually have a career in making anti-matter.

It strikes me that some of those statements cannot be all correct:

...their differences... ...antimatter fall downwards. But... ...Does it fall at the same speed...
...you could build a universe just like ours with you and me made of just antimatter....

If they have different properties (which resulted in different reactions during the Big Bang) then a universe made of antimatter cannot be "just like ours".

It strikes me that some of those statements cannot be all correct:

If they have different properties (which resulted in different reactions during the Big Bang) then a universe made of antimatter cannot be "just like ours".
Different properties in relation to regular matter. But not necessarily different properties when relating to more antimatter.

In other words, if antimatter falls differently in matter's gravity, that doesn't mean it behaves that way in antimatter's gravity.

A universe made of antimatter would in appearance, look exactly our universe. And. like outr universe time would flow in ward direction.

At the risk of sounding alarmist, is this really something we want to discover?

I was thinking the same. Especially when we still know virtually nothing about it and how volatile/dangerous it might be. Or even if it actually exists. At the moment it's pretty much a term used to answer all of the questions we don't clearly know the answer to.

It seems like they are just playing with the anti matter until they can figure out a way to create vast quantities of it and contain it.

Positrons (anti electrons) have been known about for a long time. The anti protons have been seen since the 1950s. Both occur naturally. If they were going to fall up I think it would have been noticed a long time ago.

For whatever reason, there are a lot of word plays in the subatomic field. Anti proton, anti electron, so according to no reason in particular, except for symmetry of word play, they must have anti gravity properties as well. But they don't, as has been seen for a long time now.

Anti neutrons are the same as neutrons except for a few small differences. One big difference between the anti neutral particles and the other anti particles is that the neutral charge stays the same, the anti part does not apply to the neutral charge.

There are other parameters for a particle's charge besides just the familiar positive and negative charges. It is those parameters where the anti properties charge comes into play.

At the macro non quantum level in normal circumstances, electrical charge is typically a surplus or lack of electrons. In the quantum world charge appears to mean something completely different.

From what can be seen, if the only difference is the electrical charge, it seems logical that a universe made up of anti particles would be the same as a universe made of regular particles. Gravity is the same for both probably because gravity doesn't care what the electrical charge is.

I would be more interested in seeing if a fusion reaction using anti particles was any different from a fusion reaction using normal particles.

There is the intriguing idea of particle anti particle annihilation of not representing the destruction of the pair of particles but instead represents the reversal of the direction in time of the particle, in that it switches from going into the future from the present and instead travels into the past or vice versa. This however is another play on words that has nothing to do with time travel, but if the surface meanings were taken as being true, it would be an interesting way to travel back in time by building a tunnel out of anti matter which you could move backwards or forwards in time with.

I think the relative nature of "closer" ought to be highlighted, but it is an interesting progress increment, and I had no idea that you could actually have a career in making anti-matter.

There is a whole field of Medical diagnostics utilising the properties of positrons, plus an industry dedicated to producing positron- emitting radiopharmaceuticals.

Large amounts of academic research, and investment into the commercial aspects of antimatter.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how do quarks fit into antimatter? Are there anti-quarks?
The building blocks of antimatter (positrons, anti-protons etc) are "made" from the same quarks as "normal" matter, just different combinations, but for some reason there's plenty of the "normal matter" quark recipe and a shortage of the "anti-matter" recipe.

Back