King Arthur and Merlin Manuscript

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Supporter
For those of you who are suckers for King Arthur and Merlin. I received this from Smithsonian.

Rediscovered Medieval Manuscript Offers New Twist on Arthurian Legend​

www.smithsonianmag.com

Rediscovered Medieval Manuscript Offers New Twist on Arthurian Legend

The 13th-century pages, found by chance at a British library, show a different side of Merlin, the magician who advised Camelot's king
www.smithsonianmag.com
www.smithsonianmag.com

Sadly I can’t see the content, but I get that often using my first generation iPad.

Had to chuckle when I read that a medieval language professor is into the Marvel universe :) .

Here is another 'Merlin, Arthur' twist. If already known, then add it to the mix. Deals with the definition of a 'Dragon'. :)
Found: A 13th-Century Tale of Merlin and Arthur, Reused as Bookbinding

I am like most here in the US that were raised to believe that Merlin was a good guy and wanted to help Arthur, but after spending time here on Chrons and researching English, French and Norse Arthurian lore, I don't think the Merlin character was ever intended to be a good guy. Good in helping Arthur maybe, but with darker motives for his own gain.

I like the updated interpterion that @Lafayette referenced, in that not everything is about sex. I just might want you to stop talking and/or asking questions! A very human felling that happens every day.;)

Last edited:
I don't think the Merlin character was ever intended to be a good guy.
We touched on this in the Chronscast about the film Excalibur.

What Merlin's ultimate motivation was seems to have been a bit vague, but he was certainly not above manipulating people to achieve his ends. Arthur was conceived, of course, by a rape enabled by Merlin's magical deception.

My interpretation of Merlin is that he is neither 'good' nor 'bad' in any sense relating to human behaviour. He is a manipulator and an agitator; a catalyst for change. Much in the same way that the wizards are in LOTR. They have their own agenda.