The Humani, by Stephen Palmer

Many long breaks! The first draft was 2010, but events in my personal life made me stack it away. Then I made a second, smoother draft. It still didn't feel quite right, though, some inner sense told me there was something missing. A few years later I realised there was a whole third story that needed telling. Then, last year going into this year, I edited and honed the fourth version, which is what has been published. Very occasionally (as with my debut Memory Seed), something about the characters of a world or the world itself draws me back. In my experience, this is a good sign.
Can I interest you in an image of the underworld of Portitor the Ferryman? :)

View attachment 111369
Does Portitor ferry dead souls from one dimension to the next? Matrixesque and ominous looking...

A screen inside a forest.

memoryseed_a_glade_in_a_forest_with_a_huge_computer_monitor_dus_919e212f-93ee-40ad-a9a3-586fa1...png

Have added a link to the Amazon page in the first post, so not buried in the thread. :)

Any sign of the ebook, yet? Usually it's just a case of uploading your Word file directly, checking a few options, then go?

Have added a link to the Amazon page in the first post, so not buried in the thread. :)

Any sign of the ebook, yet? Usually it's just a case of uploading your Word file directly, checking a few options, then go?
Been mega busy with Stuff! You know... that kind of stuff. :) Hoping to sort the ebook this weekend.

how do you know the book you have now is better than the book you wrote 13 years ago?
Well, for a start, an author like me never stops learning. There were elements to the first draft that were clunky. I recognised that later. Also, I sensed later on that the book as a whole was incomplete, something I hadn't noticed before. Hence, the third tale of Moliri and Periculum. A lot of the reason I kept on with this one was to use "emotional distance" from the thing in order to see it better - a standard editing technique.

It may be hard to believe that an author of my longevity struggles with anything, but, like everyone, I do. I've delayed the ebook of The Humani owing to being uncertain about how my fans might react to it. Today, I received a positive response, so I shall go ahead with the ebook.
This is from a long-time fan of my work. "... I feel I need to give it a second read. More complex than Factory Girl and Monique/Monica, both of which stood out for me as easily being movies or short series. In some ways it reminds me of your earliest books. I want to wrap my head around the parallel character stories in The Humani and better grasp how they intersect. Don't shed light! I want to read it again :)

But the short answer for now is I enjoyed it. Gripping characters. Sucked me in and kept me curious as regards the gaps of understanding I need to fill in. Fun creatures and 'entities'. Familiar Steve themes... Dead is DEAD, or is it? The soul?"