Writing Group Exercise.

Omits

I'm trying to write a bit of flash fiction about a guy who goes back to say Hi to himself as a youngster (give a bit of advice and buy a few shares). Problem I have is avoiding the many supposed paradoxes. He's only allowed to stay a short while and only meet one person (the boy). The other problem is that in the past the tech for getting him home must exist in some sort of future 'bubble'. Any other ideas or references welcome. Otherwise the story is a bit bland.

This thread seems to me to be in the wrong place to attract the kind of feedback you are looking for. The Writing Challenges sub-forum is dedicated to the monthly and quarterly Writing Challenges. On the other hand, there is nothing about this thread that resembles the kind of exercises members are accustomed to find in the Workshop ... you are merely asking for advice on a piece you are writing.

Therefore, I am going to move the thread to Writing Discussion, where I think it more likely to attract the attention of those interested in giving you the kind of suggestions you hope for.

If it's just flash fiction you don't need to worry about paradoxes, or worrying about how the tech will work to get him home. You should be focussing on the actual story. If it is longer, then you can start world building a bit more. As for the tech, why can't he just take it with him when he travels?

Here's an example of a brilliant time travel flash fiction Wikihistory

@therapist good flash fiction advice! We have seen that style here a few times in our own writing compositions and challenges, as you know. I have been trying to incorporate aspects of this style of Flash Fiction story telling into the thinking and planning of my own. i.e.:

I come up with an idea, then try to rethink it; 'Yes and what if? And what if? And still, what if? Now, can I condense it down to the word count and still make it work?' If 'Yes,' I go for it. If 'No', I'll either rethink the story or abandoned it for a new one.

Really makes you rethink your word choices and word count for writing Flash Fictions. Great Stuff!

'If you could speak with your departed loved one right now, what would you say?'
...'Bloody hell, I thought you were dead' ;)

@therapist hit the nail on the head I think -in my case I don't really care about the mechanics in the short format, I think a lot of readers are like that.
Don't know if it helps but I reckon this is a cracking bit of time travel short fiction, and might be good for inspiration:
Sam, This Is You

I'm trying to write a bit of flash fiction about a guy who goes back to say Hi to himself as a youngster (give a bit of advice and buy a few shares). Problem I have is avoiding the many supposed paradoxes. He's only allowed to stay a short while and only meet one person (the boy). The other problem is that in the past the tech for getting him home must exist in some sort of future 'bubble'. Any other ideas or references welcome. Otherwise the story is a bit bland.

You might want take a look at Kelly Country by Bertram Chandler