What If...

Yes the universe is full of water, it is one of the most abundant molecules in the universe. We've detected it on comets, asteroids, and on at least 23 planets and moons on the solar system. Usually in the form of ice, but also as water vapour. A couple of these candidates could have liquid water - for example a likely ocean on within Europa.
I was thinking of the moons. Europa could even have more liquid water than earth (just not on its surface). Others with potentially more water than us are Callisto, Titan and Ganymede. The thing that is unique about earth is that is has liquid water at its surface

I was thinking of the moons. Europa could even have more liquid water than earth (just not on its surface). Others with potentially more water than us are Callisto, Titan and Ganymede. The thing that is unique about earth is that is has liquid water at its surface
Absolutely! If we are truly to become a spacefaring race then getting to these moons are a must - if only for the large amounts of water.

Oh and there might be true alien life there. That'd be good too ;)

Which, of course, is the central theme of 2061; Arthur C Clarke's second sequel to 2001.
The Chinese, I think, land their rocket on Europa, to replenish their water tanks. They use water as their propellant.
And they get eaten (more or less) by the life in the water.

So when did he write that?
At least 30 years ago.

The possibility of Life too.

It would greatly surprise me if there wasn't some form of living animal or plant life in the water of one of the moons.

Perhaps even evidence of extinct life beneath the polar ice caps on Mars.

Back