Too obscure?

reiver33

Only Forward
Supporter
I wrote a 3000 word entry for a recent Third Flatiron anthology, the theme being 'Sympathy of the Spheres'. Re-read it, binned it. I've just found the start of it as an email to myself (iPad to Laptop) and considering giving it another go, but it still comes over as willfully obscure. So, any comments...

Saturn hits me in the gut as I leave Dickies Bar - bass growl laying down a foundation for Earth’s alto to build on, soaring high, high, pulling me with her. I bite down on the inside of my cheek, scrape my fingernails along the rough brickwork, slam the pain gate shut on euphoria.

For now.

Take a breath, then another. Conscious of other pedestrians so play the ‘tipsy afternoon’ card – exaggerated straighten up, run an unsteady hand through my thinning hair, walk on. Teeth clenched against the smile pulling at my mouth, avoid the florist as blooms always lighten my load and I have to stay grounded, if only held down by feet of clay.

Unworthy, unworthy – that’s my mantra, my tether to reality. Lifeline of sorts, but one fraying a bit more each time the Heavens come calling. I glance at the sky, at unseen Saturn, and swear under my breath, but joy sucks out any real invective. Can’t hold a grudge, see? Goodnatured, that’s what they call me – my last job even put that on a sweatshirt, as a leaving present.

I’m an alto – but you already got that – the Kepler resonator for Earth. Just being awake fills me with joy, shading towards reckless abandon, nirvana. Sounds good? Sounds just peachy? Man, if you only knew what I go through to bring myself down each and every goddam day, and all in your name. Got to keep a lid on it, see? Can’t give in, can’t let myself go, or a sixth of you will just be gone.

Needs all of us, all six, representing the primary planets. It has to be the full choir ethereal, or nothing. Don’t know what the music of the spheres will mean for humanity, but on my own I’m just one of Death’s soloists.

Tried finding the others, of course. Reached out through social media, even personal ads in case we’re talking old-school, but one man can’t canvas the world, even for those wanting to be found. Well, there was this one woman, pure random, in a club, looked at each other and just knew. She was a Mercury, soprano trill in my head like clear air at altitude. Saw it in her eyes, body language; the recognition, the rising harmony, the fear. Turned on her heel and left, me fighting through the throng, saw her step out and under a bus. No hesitation, no backward glance, no duet.

Can’t take that way out – call it dedication, or cowardice, or any damn thing you please, but topping myself wouldn’t head this off at the pass, get me? I’m not the first Earth alto, and won’t be the last, it would just jump to some other poor undeserving sod. Look, I just know, OK? Woke up one day and it was all there in my head, all laid like the echoes of other voices stretching back to God knows when.

The why? Beats me, bud, and I’ve thought long and hard, did the research. Maybe Kepler knew when he put his name to it, but couldn’t be explicit, out of fear. Trust me, telling folks you’re a living death warrant doesn’t make for deep and meaningful relationships.

But, man, my soul so wants to sing.

Hand on my shoulder makes me start, swing round elbow first, empty air. Man along the pavement pulls up short, crosses the road, wide berth and then some. Lining up the shots at Dickies Bar gets real appealing, oh yeah.

Hand on my shoulder.

“Earth”. Statement, no question. Male voice behind me, alto, English as a foreign language but can’t place the accent. Nothing else, though, no connection, no song. I shrug his hand and turn, slow like, fists held low but ready.

Ageing hipster facing me, grey hair and goatee. So downright ordinary, average, it’s a strain to focus on him, like my gaze keeps drifting away. Get my act together, square my shoulders. “And you are?”

Corner-curl smile. “Venus.”

“Yeah, right, man. Can’t hear you.”

He pulls his shirt collar down, exposing a diamond on a chain. I mean, a real rock. That earns him a frown. “So?”.

“So this is the Venus gemstone. It negates the tendency towards euphoria, keeps a lid on things, as the saying goes.” Mid-brown eyes narrow. “You do not know? Seriously?”. Comes out with a short laugh, more a bark. “Idiot.”

Seven years of frustration, denial, self-harm boil up as embarrassment. Feel my face flush. “No gemstone for Earth, tosser, just the elements. I’ll give new-age crystals a body swerve, thank you very much. Rather not rattle when I walk.”

“Ruby. The Sun in splendour. It works for all of us, all the resonators. Not as powerful as a specific, but it does mitigate matters somewhat.”

So, yeah, I like to catch a few rays. Find it a distraction from the music, reason why I’d risk going outdoors even though the app still had Saturn above the horizon. Venus makes a fist around the diamond and his note is there, like a carrier wave, but down-the-hall distant. Still makes him stand out against the street, though, like he’s framed in neon. Opens his hand and I’m alone again. Well, you know what I mean.

Take a breath, lose it slow. “Right, thanks. Look, wrong foot and all that.” Hold out to shake but the recent past coughs, gets my attention, turns that open hand into a pointing finger. “You touched my shoulder, but before it happened. For real, I mean. Damn neat trick, in anyone’s book. Care to share?”

“The containment offered by the gemstones, the separation of souls, all that innate connection has to go somewhere. With practice it can be focused, directed.” His eyes go hazy and I feel a ‘fingertip’ against my cheek, then it’s gone.

Makes me flinch. “Back off! My life is weird enough without any of that crap!”

Holds his hands up, smiles, but he’s the poster boy for condescension. “As you say, we seem to have set off on the wrong foot, but the underlying need for each other remains undeniable.”

“Like hell! Us, people like us, getting together just ups the ante. So, yeah, your gemstone is a plus, thanks for the tip, but put Venus up there…” Jerk a thumb skyward, “…and that’s a whole new ballgame. No way any ‘containment’ could cope with line-of-sight, especially during-“.

“The alignment. Three days hence-”.

“And I’ll be tucked up in my basement flat for the duration, curtains closed. Go find a deep, dark, hole, if you’ve any sense, and pray the others like us do the same.”

Dude picks a speck of lint from his sleeve, lets it drift away on the breeze. “Humanity, so distracted by the incidentals in life that they cannot truly listen. Unlike us. We hear the fundament refrain, the music of the spheres, albeit in snatches.” Give me a blink-and-you-miss-it smile. “We are the flight of angels who will sing them to their rest.”

I don't think it's that obscure -- and you do a solid job of informing the reader pretty quickly that you're talking about the sphere's singing that I knew what was going on within a couple paragraphs. Given it's on a topic about the spheres, I don't see it being too obscure.

Really dig the noir vibe and the mix of vocal ranges with planets. Re-reading it, I had the idea of Saturn's bass hitting him, but then Saturn actually hitting him in the gut-- full on hard-boiled noir, Saturn's goon Titan tagging my liver with a fist.

I really like the core idea.

@reiver33 Anyone who has listened to improv jazz that is built upon the concept of 'conversation' as well as improv jazz dance will see, hear and feel this story. It is very noir, but so is the night sky. I was able to see the movements of Saturn and the Kepler belt in the music/dance and as Earth/alto came around in its struggle and defiance, meets the philosophical Venus. Yet holds its own and continues on in the circle of the planets.

So, what I'm getting out of this is your telling how history repeats itself, like the orbit of the planets, but each time it does, we only remember/learn a bit of it each time.

Or closer to Earth, how events in our life repeat themselves until we master the lesson or surpass it out of being smarter than we/I look (stubborn?). Then on to the next set of planets/improve/challenges of life. And the orbit of the planets continues.

Nice rhythm and beat to your story here. Just my view as a musician.;)

Last edited:
My thanks for the feedback! If this had been submitted, and accepted, then the anthology theme would have provided a degree of context that will be lacking if recreated as a stand-alone piece. Hence my query if it proved too off the wall...

It's good writing. Just not for me at this moment.

Just noted a typo in my introduction, and can only blame autocorrect, in that the anthology theme was “Symphony of the Spheres”, not sympathy...

I really like this, reiver - can't agree that it's 'wilfully obscure' at all. Expand it to a novella, or even a full novel, and I'd buy it.

I wrote a 3000 word entry for a recent Third Flatiron anthology, the theme being 'Sympathy of the Spheres'. Re-read it, binned it. I've just found the start of it as an email to myself (iPad to Laptop) and considering giving it another go, but it still comes over as willfully obscure. So, any comments...

I’d have to agree with your assessment in general, as it is very hard to keep the flow going for me. The opening paragraph:

Saturn hits me in the gut as I leave Dickies Bar - bass growl laying down a foundation for Earth’s alto to build on, soaring high, high, pulling me with her.

This is a very good attempt to get the character feeling in, but I was confused by the bass growl and what this was. It became clear as I read, but it felt like you made it too obscure for the reader. It was zero to 100 miles an hour in a second, with no concession to the reader who is left trying to figure out what Saturn has to do with anything.

For now.

Take a breath, then another. Conscious of other pedestrians so play the ‘tipsy afternoon’ card – exaggerated straighten up, run an unsteady hand through my thinning hair, walk on. Teeth clenched against the smile pulling at my mouth, avoid the florist as blooms always lighten my load and I have to stay grounded, if only held down by feet of clay.

I’m an alto – but you already got that – the Kepler resonator for Earth.

No I hadn’t, and in the two prior paragraphs there is no mention of an Alto or what this could be.

Needs all of us, all six, representing the primary planets. It has to be the full choir ethereal, or nothing. Don’t know what the music of the spheres will mean for humanity, but on my own I’m just one of Death’s soloists.

Finally I understand and that’s a good idea you have there.

Hand on my shoulder makes me start, swing round elbow first, empty air. Man along the pavement pulls up short, crosses the road, wide berth and then some. Lining up the shots at Dickies Bar gets real appealing, oh yeah.

Too abrupt for me, and the hand on shoulder connection is only explained later with a man being vaguely introduced at this point.

It gets easier as I read and the build-up of information makes the planets connection clear and it starts to fit together. The initial dream like start, that’s tough on the reader, while dramatic it’s also too demanding in my view. I had too many key questions left hanging until I was quite a long way in and I felt that was pushing me too much, while I felt you the writer were deliberately holding back on facts that I needed as the reader. For me, I think you’re pushing the reader too much and being wilfully obscure, so I agree with your assessment in full.

The idea for your introduction is good but lacks clarity. I would also question the value of everything up to the touch on his shoulder, which is when the character discovers he is no longer alone. I felt this as a starting point, and then fitting in the storyline concepts of an Alto when meeting another Alto for the first time could allow you to carry more information through character dialogue to help things along. Regardless, a confused character opening will always be confusing for a reader and this is asking a lot in my view.

That’s the in-depth review, and in general the writing was excellent as ever with a great core idea. The further in I got the happier I was, but would I have forgiven the opening if I picked this up in a bookshop – honestly, I don’t know, maybe or maybe not. So you didn’t hook me in from the first, and that’s the problem for me. But to be clear, the hook was in by the time I got to the end of the section, but that runs the risk of losing me as a reader early on. Anyway I hope you return to this idea as I think it has legs and good luck with it if you do.

Laters.

Okay, so I have no idea what I have just read, but it was enthralling enough to keep me reading, wanting to see where you were going.

It kinda had vibes of a poetry reading in a dark, dingy blues bar, backed up by a saxophone soloist while someone occasionally hammers out a single key on a piano, where no one can move much because the air is so heavy with tobacco smoke and everyone's dressed liked there's a 1960's theme night...

I think you got me doing it too now :D

I say keep going, as bizarre as I find it, it did pull me in.

My thanks to all for the continued interest and feedback. There have been a few references to musical rhythm and while I’m not a fan, I did have some Miles Davies - and other ‘cool jazz’ artists - on in the background back when I was writing the ‘Lucas Helath’ stories set in 50s L.A., so maybe the influence is still lurking...

Inside, the Consort Club was jumping, all hot women and cool jazz, but back here, in the alleyway, it was Murder City.

Hi, my name is Door Nob. I didn't understand any of it. It reminds me of some poetry I've read that went way over my head.

My question: how do I learn to comprehend writings like this. I don't like being a Door Nob.

P.S. I like classical music, 50s-70s rock, blues, bluegrass, and flamenco, but not jazz. Does this have anything to do with my lack of understanding?

Last edited:
@Lafayette You're not a door knob! It's an older theory, very tied into European Catholicism.

Pre-Galilean celestial theory was earth-centric -- literally, that the earth was the center of the universe. Because people could observe stars, the sun and moon move in different ways, they came up with ways to explain that, and the main theory was that the earth was in the center of a number of encapsulating, celestial spheres, with the divine largely outside. Stars were pinprick holes in the spheres. The sun was on the inside of another sphere. Each planet, including the moon, were on other spheres, etc.

These spheres, when they moved, created noise and sound--the sound of the celestial spheres. Many considered it divine.

The whole silly earth is the center of the universe stupidity kept this ridiculously stupid notion in vogue for a long time.

Saturn hits me in the gut as I leave Dickies Bar - bass growl laying down a foundation for Earth’s alto to build on, soaring high, high, pulling me with her. I bite down on the inside of my cheek, scrape my fingernails along the rough brickwork, slam the pain gate shut on euphoria.

For now.

Unworthy, unworthy – that’s my mantra, my tether to reality. Lifeline of sorts, but one fraying a bit more each time the Heavens come calling. I glance at the sky, at unseen Saturn, and swear under my breath, but joy sucks out any real invective. Can’t hold a grudge, see? Goodnatured, that’s what they call me – my last job even put that on a sweatshirt, as a leaving present.

I’m an alto – but you already got that – the Kepler resonator for Earth. Just being awake fills me with joy, shading towards reckless abandon, nirvana. Sounds good? Sounds just peachy? Man, if you only knew what I go through to bring myself down each and every goddam day, and all in your name. Got to keep a lid on it, see? Can’t give in, can’t let myself go, or a sixth of you will just be gone.

Tried finding the others, of course. Reached out through social media, even personal ads in case we’re talking old-school, but one man can’t canvas the world, even for those wanting to be found. Well, there was this one woman, pure random, in a club, looked at each other and just knew. She was a Mercury, soprano trill in my head like clear air at altitude. Saw it in her eyes, body language; the recognition, the rising harmony, the fear. Turned on her heel and left, me fighting through the throng, saw her step out and under a bus. No hesitation, no backward glance, no duet.

Can’t take that way out – call it dedication, or cowardice, or any damn thing you please, but topping myself wouldn’t head this off at the pass, get me? I’m not the first Earth alto, and won’t be the last, it would just jump to some other poor undeserving sod. Look, I just know, OK? Woke up one day and it was all there in my head, all laid like the echoes of other voices stretching back to God knows when.

The why? Beats me, bud, and I’ve thought long and hard, did the research. Maybe Kepler knew when he put his name to it, but couldn’t be explicit, out of fear. Trust me, telling folks you’re a living death warrant doesn’t make for deep and meaningful relationships.

But, man, my soul so wants to sing.

Hand on my shoulder.

“Earth”. Statement, no question. Male voice behind me, alto, English as a foreign language but can’t place the accent. Nothing else, though, no connection, no song. I shrug his hand and turn, slow like, fists held low but ready.

Ageing hipster facing me, grey hair and goatee. So downright ordinary, average, it’s a strain to focus on him, like my gaze keeps drifting away. Get my act together, square my shoulders. “And you are?”

Corner-curl smile. “Venus.”

“Yeah, right, man. Can’t hear you.”

He pulls his shirt collar down, exposing a diamond on a chain. I mean, a real rock. That earns him a frown. “So?”.

“So this is the Venus gemstone. It negates the tendency towards euphoria, keeps a lid on things, as the saying goes.” Mid-brown eyes narrow. “You do not know? Seriously?”. Comes out with a short laugh, more a bark. “Idiot.”

Seven years of frustration, denial, self-harm boil up as embarrassment. Feel my face flush. “No gemstone for Earth, tosser, just the elements. I’ll give new-age crystals a body swerve, thank you very much. Rather not rattle when I walk.”

“Ruby. The Sun in splendour. It works for all of us, all the resonators. Not as powerful as a specific, but it does mitigate matters somewhat.”

So, yeah, I like to catch a few rays. Find it a distraction from the music, reason why I’d risk going outdoors even though the app still had Saturn above the horizon. Venus makes a fist around the diamond and his note is there, like a carrier wave, but down-the-hall distant. Still makes him stand out against the street, though, like he’s framed in neon. Opens his hand and I’m alone again. Well, you know what I mean.

Take a breath, lose it slow. “Right, thanks. Look, wrong foot and all that.” Hold out to shake but the recent past coughs, gets my attention, turns that open hand into a pointing finger. “You touched my shoulder, but before it happened. For real, I mean. Damn neat trick, in anyone’s book. Care to share?”

“The containment offered by the gemstones, the separation of souls, all that innate connection has to go somewhere. With practice it can be focused, directed.” His eyes go hazy and I feel a ‘fingertip’ against my cheek, then it’s gone.

Makes me flinch. “Back off! My life is weird enough without any of that crap!”

Holds his hands up, smiles, but he’s the poster boy for condescension. “As you say, we seem to have set off on the wrong foot, but the underlying need for each other remains undeniable.”

“Like hell! Us, people like us, getting together just ups the ante. So, yeah, your gemstone is a plus, thanks for the tip, but put Venus up there…” Jerk a thumb skyward, “…and that’s a whole new ballgame. No way any ‘containment’ could cope with line-of-sight, especially during-“.

“The alignment. Three days hence-”.

“And I’ll be tucked up in my basement flat for the duration, curtains closed. Go find a deep, dark, hole, if you’ve any sense, and pray the others like us do the same.”

Dude picks a speck of lint from his sleeve, lets it drift away on the breeze. “Humanity, so distracted by the incidentals in life that they cannot truly listen. Unlike us. We hear the fundament refrain, the music of the spheres, albeit in snatches.” Give me a blink-and-you-miss-it smile. “We are the flight of angels who will sing them to their rest.”
Strengths:

1. High Concept: The idea of humans as Kepler resonators for planets is unique and compelling.
  2. Intrigue and Tension: The struggle of the narrator, being both gifted and cursed, adds a layer of tension that pulls the reader through the story.
  3. Character Depth: The brief introduction of other characters like the woman representing Mercury and Venus adds more dimensions to the universe you've created.
  4. Atmosphere: You've nailed the unsettling feeling of being torn between an innate calling and the dread of its consequences.
Suggestions:

1. Clarification on Rules: You might want to consider adding a bit more explanation on how the gemstones work and what exactly "resonating" means for the world and its inhabitants. You mention that a sixth of humanity would disappear, but why? What are the stakes?
  2. Dialogue: While the conversation between Earth and Venus is engaging, their dialogue feels a bit info-dumpy. Try to intersperse some of their conversation with action or internal monologue to maintain the flow.
  3. Flow and Pacing: The story has moments where the pacing is perfect, but it also has times where it's a bit rushed. For example, the explanation of how they could feel each other before touching could be developed a bit more.
  4. Point of View: You’re writing in the first person, which is great for emotional depth. Just make sure that what the narrator "just knows" is clear to the reader as well.
  5. Grammar and Structure: There are places where the sentence structure gets a bit tangled, so a round of careful editing would be beneficial. For instance, "Look, I just know, OK?" could be "Look, I just know, okay?" to keep the tone consistent.
  6. Consistency in Tone: While your writing style is compelling, there are shifts in tone and diction. Maintaining a consistent tone could enhance the story.
Overall, it's a captivating narrative that left me wanting to know more. What happens during the alignment? Will the narrator embrace their destiny or find a way to defy it? I would definitely read on to find out!

My continued thanks to those providing feedback and commentary. This was originally written to a 3000 word limit - actually cut down to fit from a longer narrative as first written - so I can only apologise for the uneven tone and pacing. The edited version was what probably put me off submitting in the first place.

I’m trying to balance developing this opening into the start of a longer piece (in my head, I rarely plan on paper) against exhausting ‘fresh idea enthusiasm’ now that I’m not under the pressure of a deadline. At least I have an ending in mind, which for me is half the battle.

@Lafayette You're not a door knob! It's an older theory, very tied into European Catholicism.

Pre-Galilean celestial theory was earth-centric -- literally, that the earth was the center of the universe. Because people could observe stars, the sun and moon move in different ways, they came up with ways to explain that, and the main theory was that the earth was in the center of a number of encapsulating, celestial spheres, with the divine largely outside. Stars were pinprick holes in the spheres. The sun was on the inside of another sphere. Each planet, including the moon, were on other spheres, etc.

These spheres, when they moved, created noise and sound--the sound of the celestial spheres. Many considered it divine.

Thank you for the encouragement. I do remember Galileo getting into trouble for saying otherwise, but I didn't make the connection in the story.

The Pythagorean/Ptolemaic thingy doesn't seem obscure to me but the noir voice with short, choppy sentences actually does.

That's just a personal taste thing though. A lot of people enjoy a voice like that.