Single Author Collections/Anthologies

Davelectro

So I've been rebuilding my Horror/Supernatural/Weird/Strange Fiction collection and have a list of authors that I haven't read or have read relatively little of. Any suggestions for anthologies/collections would be much appreciated!

John Collier (I have 'Fancies and Goodnights', fantastic collection!).

Guy De Maupassant (I have 'The Dark Side').

Lord Dunsany

Fitz James O'Brien

Flannery O'Connor

Clark Ashton Smith

Edward Lucas White

Dennis Etchison

Whitley Strieber

A M Burrage

Edith Warton

Evelyn Nesbit

Vladimir Nabokov

Tannith Lee

Bentley Little

D H Lawrence

Ivan Turgenev

Marjorie Bowen

Roald Dahl

Michael Cisco

Matt Cardin

Graham Masterson

Vernon Lee

Algernon Blackwood (I have 'Ancient Sorceries and Other Stories')

Bob Leman ('Feesters in the Lake' is very $$$)

Glen Hirshberg (I have 'The Two Sams' - excellent!)

Carl Jacobi

So I've been rebuilding my Horror/Supernatural/Weird/Strange Fiction collection and have a list of authors that I haven't read or have read relatively little of. Any suggestions for anthologies/collections would be much appreciated!

John Collier (I have 'Fancies and Goodnights', fantastic collection!).
I also have The John Collier Reader (in paperback, The Best of John Collier minus the novel His Monkey Wife). I haven't read it, but it overlaps a fair amount with F&G.

Lord Dunsany
Probably not definitive, but Penguin put out a wide ranging collection, In the Land of Time and Other Fantasy Tales.

Clark Ashton Smith
If you're feeling rich and can find them, Night Shade Press issued several volumes of his complete fantasy and s.f. Otherwise, maybe Penguin again with The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies. My own favorite is Zothique, from the Ballantine Adult Fantasy collection in the 1970s; I think a small press has put out another version of this one, though I don't recall which small press.

Edith Warton
I think The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton is still in print. Leonaur (check ISFDB for more info) has put out a 2 volume set of her weird/supernatural fiction.

Evelyn Nesbit
In the Dark was reissued within the last few years.

Vernon Lee
The Ash-Tree Press edition is probably pricey, but there's a Broadview annotated edition of Hauntings that I saw in bookstores a few years ago. Amazon lists it.

Bob Leman ('Feesters in the Lake' is very $$$)
I believe this was the only book by Leman, and it was put together and published years after he stopped writing by fans of his short stories.

Glen Hirshberg (I have 'The Two Sams' - excellent!)
My favorite. I was less enthusiastic about American Morons, though it was certainly a good collection.

Carl Jacobi
If you can find Revelations in Black, it's a good collection of that old time pulp.

I also have The John Collier Reader (in paperback, The Best of John Collier minus the novel His Monkey Wife). I haven't read it, but it overlaps a fair amount with F&G.

Probably not definitive, but Penguin put out a wide ranging collection, In the Land of Time and Other Fantasy Tales.

If you're feeling rich and can find them, Night Shade Press issued several volumes of his complete fantasy and s.f. Otherwise, maybe Penguin again with The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies. My own favorite is Zothique, from the Ballantine Adult Fantasy collection in the 1970s; I think a small press has put out another version of this one, though I don't recall which small press.

I think The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton is still in print. Leonaur (check ISFDB for more info) has put out a 2 volume set of her weird/supernatural fiction.

The Ash-Tree Press edition is probably pricey, but there's a Broadview annotated edition of Hauntings that I saw in bookstores a few years ago. Amazon lists it.

I believe this was the only book by Leman, and it was put together and published years after he stopped writing by fans of his short stories.

My favorite. I was less enthusiastic about American Morons, though it was certainly a good collection.

If you can find Revelations in Black, it's a good collection of that old time pulp.
Wow thanks for the list! I appreciate your thoughts on them also.

Definitely will be picking up almost all of what you've recommended, minus the Wharton, already have it and I forgot because I'm an idiot lol.

Going to go with Zothique, I've heard good things about it. Shame the Leman is so over-priced, only ever read 'The Window' and loved it. And yes, I've heard the Hirshberg isn't quite up to the level of 'Sams', but I'll give it a go.

Great lists, lots of real solid stuff there that I'm sure is hard to go wrong with! Much appreciated!

No list of ghost story authors is complete without Montague Rhodes James. And all his works are included in a single anthology. Lots of great readings of his stories as well, by the likes of Christopher Lee and Michael Hordern, as well as some fantastic adaptations on tv by the BBC.

No list of ghost story authors is complete without Montague Rhodes James. And all his works are included in a single anthology. Lots of great readings of his stories as well, by the likes of Christopher Lee and Michael Hordern, as well as some fantastic adaptations on tv by the BBC.
Oh, absolutely James is a must for every ghost story fan. I have his collected ghost stories - doesn't get much better!

I've gotten some great deals and have the following coming in:

The Collier Reader
Dunsany - Land of Time
C A S - Eidolon
Lee- Hauntings
Nesbit - In the Dark

Plus several that aren't on your list that I'm waiting for:

Blackwood - Best of
R Bloch - Final Reckonings
Saki - Complete Works
Henry S Whitehead - Voodoo Tales
Joe Hill - 20th Century Ghosts
Gerald Kersh - Nightshades & Damnations
Flannery O'Connor - Complete Stories
D Du Maurier - The Birds & Other Stories
Elizabeth Jane Howard - Mr Wrong

Thanks again, you & Baylor & others have helped a bunch in my decisions!

Glad to hear. I hope you enjoy them.

I've never heard of the Howard before, but ISFDB shows it has "Three Miles Up," which is a really good, ambiguous weird tale.

I still haven't gotten to the Hill or finished a Du Maurier collection, so I'll be interested in anything you have to say about those especially.

Glad to hear. I hope you enjoy them.

I've never heard of the Howard before, but ISFDB shows it has "Three Miles Up," which is a really good, ambiguous weird tale.

I still haven't gotten to the Hill or finished a Du Maurier collection, so I'll be interested in anything you have to say about those especially.
They all go on the giant TBR pile, hopefully I'll get to them within this lifetime lol.

I've already received the CAS, man that was quick! Also just got some books from the second list: Bloch, Blackwood & W H Hodgson's 'Adrift on the Haunted Seas', which I've been waiting forever for. Looks awesome, has the usual classics like 'The Voice in the Night' & 'The Derelict' plus 16 others. It also features several pieces of verse.

Thanks again, you've been a big help in my selection-making. My reading has been haphazard to a degree, all short stories from different authors picked from recommendations or personal interest. I do have the Du Maurier coming up fairly soon after it arrives as I've been waiting an awfully long time for it -I'll keep you posted.

Do you or anyone else reading this, ever get into reading just short stories from varying writers? Seems all I want to do is read little 20 or 30 minute masterpieces, then on to the next! Seems there are mostly novel readers on this forum, or maybe that's just the impression I get?

Oh and BTW, I've read 'Three Miles Up' - agreed, it's fantastic.

Here's the story listing

Mr. Wrong • novelette by Elizabeth Jane Howard

The Dark Domain by Stephan Grabinski
Kwaidan Japanese Ghost Stories by Lafcardo Hearn

Were you able to get Murganstrumm and Others by Hugh Cave?

They all go on the giant TBR pile, hopefully I'll get to them within this lifetime lol.

I've already received the CAS, man that was quick! Also just got some books from the second list: Bloch, Blackwood & W H Hodgson's 'Adrift on the Haunted Seas', which I've been waiting forever for. Looks awesome, has the usual classics like 'The Voice in the Night' & 'The Derelict' plus 16 others. It also features several pieces of verse.

Thanks again, you've been a big help in my selection-making. My reading has been haphazard to a degree, all short stories from different authors picked from recommendations or personal interest. I do have the Du Maurier coming up fairly soon after it arrives as I've been waiting an awfully long time for it -I'll keep you posted.

Do you or anyone else reading this, ever get into reading just short stories from varying writers? Seems all I want to do is read little 20 or 30 minute masterpieces, then on to the next! Seems there are mostly novel readers on this forum, or maybe that's just the impression I get?

Oh and BTW, I've read 'Three Miles Up' - agreed, it's fantastic.

Adrift on the Haunted Seas by Hodgson is Excellent ! There exist a lose film adaptation of The Voice the Night . It's called Mantango. A K A Attack of the Mushroom People 1963 Produced by Toho Studios Japan and directed by Ishiro Honda . It's a pretty good horror film . :cool:

I haven't searched Murganstrumm yet, the Grabinski & the Hearn books will hopefully be ordered soon!

That movie sounds like fun lol. What an awesome little story, perfect for a film.

I haven't searched Murganstrumm yet, the Grabinski & the Hearn books will hopefully be ordered soon!

That movie sounds like fun lol. What an awesome little story, perfect for a film.

Here another one

The Yellow Sign and Other Stories The Complete Weird Tales of Robert W. Chambers. Lovecrat sites him as an influence.

Here another one

The Yellow Sign and Other Stories The Complete Weird Tales of Robert W. Chambers. Lovecrat sites him as an influence.
I have 'The King in Yellow' which contains 11 stories, will keep a lookout for your suggestion, thanks!

'The Repairer of Reputations' is one of my favorites.

'Revelations' is available in a collection, which also has an Aikman & a Wellman, both of which I've never read - I think there were several other authors that I want to read. I'll post the name when I find it again.

How much of Flannery O’Conner is horror?
I have a 'Complete Stories of' by O'Connor coming in pretty soon, we'll see lol.

Also I just ordered this book called 'Girls' Night Out: Twenty-Nine Female Vampire Stories'. The title isn't the greatest but look at this list of authors:

With names like that it can't be too bad lol. And it was super-cheap so what the heck? Some of my favorite authors are in there, like Aickman, Wellman, Crawford, Lee, Leiber, Matheson & more.

Funny, thought I was done with collections of various authors and here comes yet another one........it's kinda like a sickness or something.....

Thanks again for the 'Collier Reader' suggestion, I've just checked and it has a total of 47 short stories - only 6 overlap in 'Fancies and Goodnights', good call.

This has been an unusual year for me. Normally I'd have read at least one single-author story collection by this time, but I'm only now finishing one (Far Below and Other Weird Stories by Robert Barbour Johnson; with two left, the title story has so far been the best). Once I finish, I'll probably go onto another story collection before reading another novel. But, yes, at times short stories are like potato chips, I can't eat just one.

Thanks again for the 'Collier Reader' suggestion, I've just checked and it has a total of 47 short stories - only 6 overlap in 'Fancies and Goodnights', good call.

The Fantastic Fiction of Hannes Bok

You might find him to be of interest. He was a writer of fiction and an illustrator.