How to keep up your writing productivity

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
He was a ridiculously productive writer, this despite the fact he was brain damaged as a young man when the sky literally fell on his head. The issue I have is that I want to be able to produce beautiful prose like great writers like Hemmingway and because I simply cannot achieve this, I don't write. When I think of Hemmingway, I always think of that last line in the Charles Bukowski poem, Style. Another writer whose writing I wish I could emulate. Hope you are well, Brian.

The art of conversation is extended into the art of writing. Yes, there are the ups and downs of life and its corresponding emotions and views. But in general, in times past you might tend to write to someone in a way that you would converse to them, just more creatively. I really miss writing letters to relatives. It's all social media now, and in my view, pointless and mealiness.

So, in contexts to what Brian pasted it makes sense because today we tend to make stories instead of storytelling and conversing. I an guilty of this because every time I post to the 70, 100, 300 worders I'll spend a day editing the stories. But If I put in 3-10 days to review and edit, I'll have a better chance of writing a story instead of having an idea of one. I have put this into practice with my novel,,,6 months of rethinking after 25 years of developing...Augh, but good!

I heard the same thing said about surfing -when ya get a really good wave go in so the buzz gets you out next time. I'm not sure about that applying to writing as it's far more of a head thing and being in good form/ mental headspace combined with free time is hard to force. Must've worked for Mr. Hemmingway though (y)

What Hemmingway is saying makes sense but it would take some discipline to stop yourself milking every droplet of creative joy when you are feeling the flow of ideas. Guess it is applicable to other facets of life such as surfing. Just be a case of finding the balance how much of the flow you go with. Imagine we have all found something we were passionate about and just returned to it too frequently to the point where we became disinterested. Perhaps this is the same with writing.